The wire wheels comeback

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think we will see a revival of the classic wire wheel? They do look stunning but must be a nightmare to keep clean.

I've seen a few on some show cars recently so it might be an emerging trend.

What are your thoughts on wire wheels then? What cars do they look best on?

I dont think they are, or were, structurally strong enough to handle modern cars' weight, speed and power. They look fantastic though, so maybe with modern materials they could make ones that could.

wire wheels bah! all about the w-race slot mags! There back! sweet looking wheels, the wire wheels personally looks good on a 300c, old school like c180's and strangly good on mini's

With true wire wheels you get splined shafts and spinners. Some I have come across don't wear too well. Best left for the classics they were made for imo.

I dont think they are, or were, structurally strong enough to handle modern cars' weight, speed and power. They look fantastic though, so maybe with modern materials they could make ones that could.

Considering they started out on cars like 2Tonne Cadillacs, im pretty sure they could handle most modern day cars weights...?

if they are double lased they are as strong as any other wheel remember these wheels were used on race cars e.g. F1, look great on sports cars