The ultimate bass setup

Accurate bass is hard enough to reproduce in a large room, within the confines of a car interior it's harder still. What you normally wind up with is a load of harmonics and not a lot of low end information.

Too true Hdi but with the right set-up you can get some really good sounds.
When I had the Primera I had two 12's both being supplied by 2400 watts of pure RMS bass each.
It honestly shook every single panel on the car.
But you could hear every single different bass note as well as all the high end notes because of the set up I had.

2.5kW must've loaded up the alternator a little. That's 200 amps under peak load. I suppose if it's transient load then the caps would take car of the short term demand.

I do like to hear tightly defined bass - I've played bass instruments for years and as a musician I look for definition, and clout, in any situation.

The bass did hit hard but the Power Cap I had did it's job well to be fair.
That wasn't the only amp I had in the boot so I needed the Cap.
It was a 1200 watt Class D amp bridged to 1 ohm to produce 2400 Rms watts of pure bass.
I also had a normal mosfet amp powering some 6x9's that where mainly used for top end sounds.
And also had the components up front powered off the head unit. Sounded awesome.

And that's probably why it worked as well as it did.

What's your opinion of power MOSFETs for audio applications?

I struggle to make decisions as to whether they are better or worse than bi-polar devices.

Perhaps circuit design has more bearing on the overall performance than the choice of output stage itself does?

If you were delivering 2.4kW into 1 ohm that equates to 48 amps at peak. So you must have been using a 50v DC rail to achieve this.

Last edited:
And that's probably why it worked as well as it did.

What's your opinion of power MOSFETs for audio applications?

I struggle to make decisions as to whether they are better or worse than bi-polar devices.

Perhaps circuit design has more bearing on the overall performance than the choice of output stage itself does?

If you were delivering 2.4kW into 1 ohm that equates to 48 amps at peak. So you must have been using a 50v DC rail to achieve this.

Probebly right there,

Modern amplifyers are so complex now that they do just amplify there input sound they have various noise filters and equalisers.

Personally I would have all said things seperate to produce the best sound.

I haven't really heard any difference between a MOSFET power stage and bi-polar circuits, but then again I haven't owned a really expensive stereo.

But when playing my guitar though, old style valves are much more preferable.