The top 3 engine mods for power

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you were limited say by insurance to just 3 modifications, which 3 mods would you say are the best for engine power?

The more I think about this the harder it is. Something like a bigger turbo would need another 3 mods or so to make it work well at least!

Remap, induction kit and exhaust are my top tips but I'm not sure.

Perhaps Cams, remap and head work or Remap, hybrid turbo and diverter valve. :eek: See how hard this is? Perhaps it's easier on NASP engines.

is hard cos what ever you do on your engine you have to have cold air intake and fast flow exhaust so only leaves you one mod left
if i say cam does that count with all the bits needed with it lifters ect

Its just with smaller engines the only performance exhaust you sem to be able to but (for my car anyway - 1.25 mk5 fiesta) is big stupid chavvy exhausts. If there was something with a nice noise that was a bit more subtle then I would go straight for it. Seems the smallest I can but is about 3.5" diameter, which may cause back-blowing according to an article on this website?

I see your point, and if you can point me to somewhere who sells someting better suited it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam

would not know were to look to be fair
if you gave me a yank car i would know were to go lol

i am looking in to getting a 3in daul system right through with a x over ipe in the middle to keep the balance i have the headers and intake ect but running std exhaust ok it sound very nice as it is but is holding so much power cos its to small

turbo charger, super charger (lancia delta anyone) and NOS

Can i make it 4 and add LPG

Last edited:
Its just with smaller engines the only performance exhaust you sem to be able to but (for my car anyway - 1.25 mk5 fiesta) is big stupid chavvy exhausts. If there was something with a nice noise that was a bit more subtle then I would go straight for it. Seems the smallest I can but is about 3.5" diameter, which may cause back-blowing according to an article on this website?

I see your point, and if you can point me to somewhere who sells someting better suited it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam

powerflow, long life and exhaust maker should be able to put one together for you 3.5 isnt too bad for the back box, it wouldnt be that right through the whole pipe.

renault 5 turbo bolted to my transit engine would up it to about 200bhp but it would put the insurence up quite abit but if i didnt have to worry about that would take up 3 for the manifold. turbo and carb, with k&n panel filter (dont think yougot to decare them do you?)

else pair 48 webber carbs, stage 2 head and race cam should get me up a nice enough power.

Yup All mods have to be declared! I did 14 years in insurance and saw a few people get caught out big time!

I am beginning to think you are power mad rko66w!;)

Yup All mods have to be declared! I did 14 years in insurance and saw a few people get caught out big time!

I am beginning to think you are power mad rko66w!;)

yeah just a little bit power mad but definitly mad in general. you really have to decare a k&n pannel filter? would i have had to declare that i wasn't using a genuine ford filter for the capri then, cause i dont think they even make them any more i used to get 'farmm' or something from local parts shop, not using genuine for spark plugs or oil filter would i have to dclare them 2? cause that would use up all 3 of the mods already. lol

does an engine swap count. then it would be bigger brakes and coilovers. you have to admit that is three mods:p

supercharger conversion

or can i count twin charged conversion?

or how a bout dumping in an evo engine, then bigger turbo and forged pistons :lol:

for me to tune my car it would be a

hybrid turbo 60mm trim with 0.8 bar actuator

front mount intercooler

and a live remap.

just these 3 mods are good for 300 bhp or slightly over,
and what a kick in the back it feels like

a 6paddle clutch would be useful which you cant really tell is fitted ,, and a decat would be good on a stock exhaust undeclared ofcoarse as the decat is illegal anyway,

but if i had very expensive insurance i wouldnt declare the clutch or the decat, lucky my insurance is cheap as chips for this spec.

Is the question being asked assuming the base cars brakes and suspension are uprated to accept these three options for engine power? If not I wouldn't list any options unless it is good enough to start with.

You'd be suicidal to not uprate the brakes and handling Stamford so it makes sense. The thread is just about the best power mods. If you could only choose 3 which would you go for?

You'd be suicidal to not uprate the brakes and handling Stamford so it makes sense. The thread is just about the best power mods. If you could only choose 3 which would you go for?

Okay based on that info then it would be difficult for a nasp, so it would have to be, induction, exhaust and remap as other mods would be pointless without sorting the breathing and fuelling imo.

for me to tune my car it would be a

hybrid turbo 60mm trim with 0.8 bar actuator

front mount intercooler

and a live remap.

just these 3 mods are good for 300 bhp or slightly over,
and what a kick in the back it feels like

a 6paddle clutch would be useful which you cant really tell is fitted ,, and a decat would be good on a stock exhaust undeclared of course as the decat is illegal anyway,

but if i had very expensive insurance i wouldnt declare the clutch or the decat, lucky my insurance is cheap as chips for this spec.

Incorrect. A decat increases emissions. If you fail an MOT because of this then having no MOT is illegal. Also, not declaring mods is just asking for trouble. If you cause an accident you will be prosecuted as your insurance will be void.

Is there anything you can do to your car and get away with not informing the insurers?
do they just go on performance and aesthetic mods? apart from that there isn't much else to do apart from I.C.E. and interior stuff.

Not a lot really. They [insurers] are generally more worried about aesthetic mods more than they are over invisible performance mods because these make the car more attractive to a potential thief.

Five years ago you'd probably have got away unscathed if you covertly remapped your car and kept it to yourself. But the loss adjusters are getting wise to this now and will very possibly take the ECU away for examination if they suspect they're being ripped off. It doesn't take much to read a few checksums from the code and determine if it's been altered from standard.

Cheers,

Adam

not sure where you live mate but exhaustsuk.com are based in sheffield, just had a straight-through fitted to the 197, it sounds monstrous but they make them all themselves so you can specify the sound/tone that you are looking for

Can they make me a totally silent one :) ?

Or perhaps include an active resonator which generates hi fidelity anti-noise so that it makes no sound at all from my position in the driver's seat?

Is there anything you can do to your car and get away with not informing the insurers?

Yes. Some policies cover you for around a £1000 for in car entertainment. Not a big amount I know but ultimately you don't need to declare it. But you would need to produce receipts for whatever you want to claim on.

If engine swops count as one then its easy

engine swop , suspension and brakes

If it doesnt then a lot more thought is needed especially if resulting mods dont count

Depends on the car but one has to be mapping as without it you will be blowing any modern engine up quickly.
Then turbo/supercharger and finally probably the fuel system as without that neither will work. If mapping doesnt count as a mod and is allowed then its got to be NOS.

Fortunately we are not restricted to three !

It's hard to answer this question because the best 3 mods will depend on the type of engine.

For example, a car that is already factory turbo charged might benefit from an upgraded intercooler, exhaust and more boost. However, a NA car is going to need 3 very different kins od mods to do its best.

Assuming that the brakes suspension and strut braces, where required, are in order then it would have to be;

Uprated fuel injectors with fuel rail (let's count this as one mod)
Throttle Bodies
Fast flowing exhaust

These would be the first three but of course to make all this work you would need a nice new remap so technically bending the rules a little bit but generally accepted as being legitimate as if you carry out any mod to the engine of note then the chances are a remap would be in order as well.