The Time has come to reveal all.... mk2 Golf 16v - Tuned and smoothed

Well, i first saw this car way back in March, but didnt have the rather OTT money that was being asked for it (£3750).

cropped.jpg

Fast forward to last month and i saw the car back up for sale at £2800.... Had an impulse moment and offered him my Corrado VR6 for it in a straight swap.
Few emails and pictures etc exchanged, and a deal was arranged.

When i first arrived to pick her up, she had no sideskirts on, the front arches were in white primer,and she had half an Audi S3 black leather an blue alcantara interior bodged in there. YUCK!

I popped the bonnet and was immediately very disappointed in the general state of the engine bay. Surface rust everywhere, flaky paint on just about everything in there, wrong radiator fitted, lots of small, very annoying things that were massively letting the car down.

At this point i was considering keeping the Corrado, but decided to go for a test drive anyway.... INSTANT SALE!

The engine has been tweaked a fair bit from its standard 139bhp, up to just over 185BHP and 155 ft lb torque. It pulled like a train, and sounded absolutely sexual.

The deal was done and on the way home i opened her up properly, man i wasnt disappointed.

On the way home i stopped off at a mates to see if he was interested in buying the S3 interior, he was, £650 up before id even got home :)

So in summary, it was a car with a LOT of potential, and an awesome engine, but its gonna need a fair amount of things doing to make it the proper show worthy car it should be. This one has to stick around for a while though, so im gonna do everything properly this time.

Not a massive amount has happened since i got her due to lack of time, have painted and bodged ( they are warped) the arches and skirts back on, fitted a nice rare Ultraviolet Interior, Full SQ Audio Install, and a new ISV after the old one died.

Here's a few pics i took recently:

2010-10-11182259.jpg

2010-10-11182242.jpg

Will update later with a to do list etc, need to get off the comp as im off for a family dinner :)

I'm so glad there are people out there like you! Who can see past the surface rust and minor imperfections. And buy classics like this and put them right instead of breaking them! Keep up the good work! And I look forward to the updates on this wip.

That is if you keep it that long:p

That is one sweet looking golf. Not too many examples like it aound any more , and thats a shame. What is the finnish on the wheels, it looks great and really stands out against the body colour. Good luck with it in the future, hope she serves you well, and returns the love.

Tis a nice car mate, the wheels look really good on there, the colour and style are just right, please don't change them,

I do rather like the MK2 golf but the only bug bare I have with them is the front bumper, it sticks out too far....

Cheers guys appreciate the comments :)

Its a black/dark chrome powdercoat on the wheels, depending on where you get it done ;)

Wheels are unfortunately next on my hit list... love em to bits, but they are the one thing i can change exterior wise that will make a BIG impact. have some gorgeous new rims lined up though so fear not!

off out on beer now, so updates will have to wait til tomo night!

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

those new wheels better look good then.....

Im with jarrus.
They wanna be good.
I think they work so well, because they're not in your face. Thats why the whole car works so well on the eye. because it all compliments each other.
Dont be slammin in onto some 20"chromes, lol, it wont have the same effect:amuse:

Old school volkswagons are the best.You need deepdish rims if your replacing the ones already on. There is a nice black mk2 thats goes past mine lowered to the floor deepdish rims and streeched tyres <I dont know if the speelings right>and its mint.

i always have my eye open lol

This one is so close to being where i think it should be, just gona need some time and money lobbed at it to get it there.
cant get rid until at least march anyway as insurance company wont let me change cars again, and if i do they will report me to DVLA as a trader! twats!

Ok, so change of plan once again.....

I've made a rather sensible decision and will be selling this, my mk2 Jetta GTI i bought on spur of moment, and also my VW Caddy van.... They should net me about 4k, and another 2k to it means ill have 6k for the replacement......2.5TDI LWB T4 Transporter!

Buying a T4 means ill have a vehicle which can do it all, 5 seats up front and loads of room means days out with the family will be a breeze, and yet ill still have enough room out back for tools etc i need for work.
The 2.5 engine can be tweaked easily and cheaply from their standard 88bhp to well over 150bhp and MAHOOOSES of torque, so the driving experience is just like driving a nippy car :)

Rest assured it will get the usual treatment, alloys, tints, stereo, lowered etc.

Updates to come soon!

:lol: Things are never dull with you around Pikey!

Hope it all goes as planned. Is this a first, deciding what vehicle to buy in advance?

I'm thinking of renaming our projects section into Pikey's Projects and a few member projects! :D

:lol: Things are never dull with you around Pikey!

Hope it all goes as planned. Is this a first, deciding what vehicle to buy in advance?

I'm thinking of renaming our projects section into Pikey's Projects and a few member projects! :D

I always have a good idea of what i want next, or at least what kind of thing im looking for. This Time instead of going for another toy, im making a sensible decision for family and financial reasons.

Guess we all have to be sensible sometimes :blink1:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Keep the Golf mate.

i wish! unfortunately the difference in a 3.5k van and a 6k van is quite spectacular, so the golf must go :(

Jesus christ, mate....
:lol:

ohh well shorter than i thought. i was going for a month tops lol.

It would 100% of been here until at least march, as my insurance wouldnt have allowed me to get rid of it! But seeing as the van will be insured on my other commercial policy it now doesnt propose a problem!

Where did i say it was up for £3780???? :lol:

wheels and audio are off, car is up for £2200. Which is worth it just for the engine spec tbh!

My Jetta GTI is up for £500

My caddy van is up for 1k.

cheers guys.

will miss having my toys, but family comes first!

my little boy loves my loud rumbley cars, my little girl,well, not so much...... :(

There are quite a few people reading this thread looking at the stats but we've not had any updates from you in a while any updates on this project - or have you moved on to another one?

What are your plans for the future?