The other idiots on the road

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you assume that all the other drivers on the road are idiots or is it just the minority?

Do you adjust your driving to compensate for others? For example if someone is following you closely do you leave a bigger gap in front?

Are there other situations where you need to adjust your driving like in the previous example.

Do I assume everyone else is a retard when it comes to driving - yes. Especially on a motorway.

I suppose it probably is the minority who give me the mindset, but those are the ones that stick out. It seems that people will pass thier test with flying colours, then quickly forget everything they learnt about lane disciple, indicating, roundabouts etc. Only today I had 2 people (one in front of the other) in the wrong lane on a roundabout and just dithered about next to me trying to get back in the right lane, almost taking me out in the process. One of these was a young lad in a 1.2 polo, the other in an M5 (so it takes all types!).

TBH I think the 'nobs' (those who drive round like lunatics) are safer drivers than auntie mable doing her bi-monthly journey on the motorway at 40mph in the middle lane. Would much rather have dick-head in a saxo behind me that grandpa in his matiz in front all day long. At least saxo-boy's reactions are razor sharp due to the amount of adrenaline from doing 110 in a 30 zone.

Just my 2p

There is alot of people round this way that don't know how to use an island properly. Jct28 of the M1 is a prime example. Every single time I use it I get cut up by some fool. Honestly every time I go round that island I get cut up. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

this is a daily occurence for me to work and back im used to it know and dont assume other drivers are idiot im just aware that they maybe ha.

See them everywhere.

I always work on the basis "I know what I'm doing, I can't read your mind to know what you're doing." Seems safest.

Cutting mini-roundabouts seems to be a favourite. One day in a minor snow storm (no major loss of vision, about equal to a heavy downpour) got stuck at 30mph on a 60mph road. Folks cutting up on roundabouts and on road junctions. Ricers who think they can out-accelerate the minibus.

The list is endless...

I would tend to share the same sentiment as fezzafii, the so called experienced drivers, the middle aged M5 drivers, and grandpa in his matiz, are a huge danger on the roads, i recently caught a lift from oxford to bristol with my own grandmother in a 2.0tdi golf, i felt safer in my own vehicle going the naughty side of 60 than at 30 mph EVERYWHERE, it was terrifieing.
mind you i wouldnt feel to happy about saxo boy being behind me, but round here its more likely to be several pints of carling in his veins than adrenaline. sad to say it , but if you assume that all other drivers are stupid your no claims keeps building.

I would tend to share the same sentiment as fezzafii, the so called experienced drivers, the middle aged M5 drivers, and grandpa in his matiz, are a huge danger on the roads, i recently caught a lift from oxford to bristol with my own grandmother in a 2.0tdi golf, i felt safer in my own vehicle going the naughty side of 60 than at 30 mph EVERYWHERE, it was terrifieing.
mind you i wouldnt feel to happy about saxo boy being behind me, but round here its more likely to be several pints of carling in his veins than adrenaline. sad to say it , but if you assume that all other drivers are stupid your no claims keeps building.

That last statement buddy is very true. I agree.

Ah well the saxo drivers near me are just wannabe's (thankfully), mummy would shout and take thier car off them if they got caught pissed in a car.

The assault on Saxo drivers is getting a bit intense here guys. Let's not stereotype people too savagely, please.

However, I've never owned one. I did have the misfortune to drive one once and frankly I can't see the attraction. It was only a 1.4, perhaps the higher up models would be more entertaining.

Let's just hope that the speed kids refine their skills and approach to driving without hurting themselves or anyone else whilst doing so. I think we all can recall times when we've done silly things, especially when inexperienced.

I do agree, however, that some 'older' drivers are equally worrying, even though they are abysmally slow. Some aren't even that old. You just get that 6th, 7th, 8th etc. sense telling you that something is wrong.

Times must have changed round here cause your little Saxo's aren't really a problem. I tend to see alot of boyracer in Peugeot 106's these day and mostly the Quicksilver model. Drain pipes for exhausts etc. Showing off as soon as they see a bit of "totty" in the bus stop.