"The Next One" - Handcrafted Mid-Engine Sports Car

I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm on my Rhythm fabrication thread. That really shows the passion you guys have for not only your projects underway in your garages but as well as other members' rides. Thanks very much.

I had mentioned that I wanted to share a new project vehicle that was in progress. Like the first vehicle build, it's something that both my dad and I are involved with...I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Idea

Rhythm was in the final stages of assembly and as crazy as it sounds in the back of my mind I found myself already tossing around the idea of creating a second mid-engine vehicle. However, taking into account what had been learned over the course of the building Rhythm, I decided that if and when this new project began, fabrication would have to be approached from an entirely different perspective.

You may have previously seen that Rhythm’s body was essentially hammered and dollied out entirely by hand. While this sounds impressive and taught me how sheet metal behaves, it was immensely time consuming – not something I wanted to repeat. So an English wheel would have to be bought or built to help in creating the panels. I decided to build one. Also, with the next one, a fixture would have to be developed to not only provide a base for shaping the body panels, but to also ensure higher fabrication tolerances. These fixtures are usually referred to as bucks and can be created many ways including carving a full-scale shape out of foam or building a wooden buck. To meet our requirements we decided to create a wire frame buck. This buck would provide the flexibility to alter particular aspects of the design features relatively easily if it was ever necessary. To ensure that the buck was always square and remained true during the sheet metal shaping process an extremely rigid frame table was necessary. I dislike doing things over again, so the frame table was designed and built in such a way that it was fully adjustable in all 3 planes and to not only work for this project but for others as well.

Design Overview

Starting out as a fresh sheet of paper design, ‘the next one’ loosely resembles Rhythm. Simply called R2, the lines have been re-proportioned and tightened up resulting in a modern aggressive appearance. Since it’s being built as a driver, we want a final fit and finish that only a metal body can provide. An LS6/LS7 engine mated to a Porsche G50 transmission called for a redesign of the chassis for increased rigidity as well. Rolling on 275/35/R18s in the front & 315/30/R19s rear R2 is 28” shorter, 6” narrower, and a little over 900lbs lighter for a total weight of about 2800lbs. The final horsepower to weight ratio is expected to come in around 6lb/HP.

Here are the specifics:
R2SpecSheet2.jpg

Creating the Wire Frame Buck

Once R2’s final design was established and renderings completed 2-dimensional construction drawings were created. These were then taken to a print shop and scaled to full size side, top, front & rear views and posted on our shop’s ‘build board’. Then the exciting part began. To create the wire frame buck, the wheelbase, engine/transmission, seating position, and front windscreen locations were set using sliding jigs on the frame table based on design dimensions from a common datum point. Construction of the wire frame buck began by simultaneously working with four drawings and translating reference dimensions from the ‘build board’ into 3D and 'stump shaping' steel rods, square-stock, and flarbar to match the appropriate feature curves.

Initial 20 minute mockup... I grabbed some parts from storage to get an idea of the new proportions. Ahh.. no worries, those won't be the final wheels... :D
INVR2-BodyFabrication02-1.jpg

We're into the thick of it with the fabrication of the wire frame buck. The various lengths of box tubing were fabricated to slide along the frame table, then lock into place at set positions. Other lengths were tacked to them.
INVR2-BodyFabrication012.jpg

To make room for another job, R2 is rolled out of the bay and covered up. At this point, with most of the wire frame completed, the tarp actually created a temporary surface on the buck and outlined some of the body lines.
R2-UnderWraps12.jpg

Just to clarify, the wire frame is a temporary structure. Once all the inner & outer panels have been created it will be removed and all the panels re-assembled on their own.

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Some projects: http://www.facebook.com/iNVisionPrototypes

Last edited:
Hi obi_waynne, thanks!

Here's the front after paint.
WO1366%20-%2084Jag832_zpsnfg4ksb9.jpg

And a few of the rear.
WO1366%20-%2084Jag462_zps0bcuop4r.jpg

The rod was used to mock the up the extent of the new flares.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag512_zpsmqma3flq.jpg

Reverse curves can be a bit of a pain to create at times, however it does give the rear a stock appearance ... more or less.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag522_zpswzkelhd5.jpg

WO1366%20-%2084Jag842_zpsnbzyzv85.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wrong colour imo!
I think black or grey would be a better colour for this type of project!

Just my opinion wrong or right it doesn't matter it's your choice!

Plus I'd like to say it's been a pleasure reading your thread!

I hope that 2016 is treating everyone well.

Here's a little update on the custom '32 Ford roadster

Got the frame on the rotisserie... smoothed and primed. Before block sanding and finishing, the roadster will be reassembled for final metal fabrication and detailing.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Chassis112_zps4nbdk3if.jpg

Body also gets a 'turn' to finish the underside.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1752_zpsoyd3siaa.jpg

INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1762_zpsu9aftsgt.jpg

Here the tunnel cover has been smoothed, planished & mounted.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1792_zpsec2md78k.jpg

This is it! We're finalizing the roadster's metalwork! Reassembled the body's exterior panels, setting gaps and touching up some details. When everything has been addressed the car will be blown apart for primer, surface enhancer and finally paint.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1802_zpsolfzqsz9.jpg

Thanks for checking out this project.

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Some projects: http://www.facebook.com/iNVisionPrototypes

In between working through life's curveballs and other jobs coming in, we remounted the roadster's body back on the rotisserie to wash, re-wash, sand, wash again, and prep for primer!
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1822_zps9mdbqcvi.jpg

The remaining panels were prepped for 2k as well.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1832_zpscyrmzkzy.jpg

Panel prep before primer is always a time consuming and meticulous process, but pays off in the end.

Working on the grill insert. After a quick sketch, 3 templates were created - top/side/bottom - and transferred to metal. A few trips later between the tipping wheel and Lancaster shrinker/stretcher to progressively create and curve the flanges ... the 4 perimeter pieces were created.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1842_zpseq7lgh3b.jpg

INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1852_zpsydwbyiyg.jpg

The insert clips into place with no visible nuts or bolts.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1862_zps0rx4ffpf.jpg

Blocking out the roadster's body...most of the highbuild will end up on the floor. We're in the home stretch!
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1892_zpsqnzoamko.jpg

Thanks for checking out the progress.

No problem man ... though it should be me thanking you and all the car enthusiasts here on the forum for the opportunity to share what's happening in the studio.

Cheers!

Hi everyone, here's a little update on the roadster.

New seats arrived last week. And while they fit the roadster's floor well, we discovered that the tunnel cover would need to be narrowed up a bit. Will probably fab a new one rather than modify the existing.

INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1932_zpsptnfw7mc.jpg

An overall view of the roadster with the new seats. The owner has the option to remove the head rests if he wishes to.

INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1942_zps4urgvnly.jpg

Thanks for checking out the progress.

Hi everyone, here's a small update on the roadster we're working on.

Trunk lid has been completed and installed.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body1992_zpstqsusibv.jpg

With the new seats being wider than the ones used in the original design, the centre tunnel section had to be recreated.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body2002_zpsbhlhllvt.jpg

After many hours of block sanding we're almost ready for paint. Stay tuned.

Thanks for looking.

The roadster's body arrived from paint! Final assembly can being after we cut and polish the panels. In the mean time the chassis has been slowly coming together.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body2022_zpsicgayex8.jpg

Wow! Going to do a Lottery lucky dip tonight now Nick after seeing that, if it comes in then expect a phone call from me sir |B

So, a lot has been done to the roadster since the last time I updated this thread. The body was cut and polished and mated with the chassis, electrical wrapped up, and dash/interior just about buttoned up. Still waiting on a few key suspension components as well as the front windshield.

Cut and polished.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body2042_zpsyjjarqyx.jpg

Here are a few photos from last week.
INVRDSTR%20-%20Body2082_zpsgnr0c9lf.jpg

INVRDSTR%20-%20Body2092_zpsp7hataat.jpg

INVRDSTR%20-%20Body2102_zps0g6opzur.jpg

Thanks for checking out the build.

Last edited:
Initial stage of R2's rear facelift.
INVR2-Body%20Fabrication5322_zps2xi7csmu.jpg

A template is created so that features can be transposed to the other side.
INVR2-Body%20Fabrication5332_zpsmezxmdgq.jpg

Fitting the door top perimeter and exterior skin to the jams. Door opens on a single pivot.
INVR2-Body%20Fabrication5342_zpsmhjskvck.jpg

Rear hatch's structure mated with the exterior skin and mounted on the newly created hinges.
INVR2-Body%20Fabrication5352_zpsmh05favd.jpg

Hatch opens for the first time. Work can now start to separate, prime, join and finalize the hatch's fit.
INVR2-Body%20Fabrication5362_zpsmap1l2um.jpg

R2's revised rear fascia mocked up. Next step will be to cut the tacks to separate the panels and create the panel's final details.
INVR2-Body%20Fabrication5382_zpsepmzrv3z.jpg

Hi Everyone! For the members that were following this thread back in the day I'm going to resurrect it with an update on the R2 build.

Since you can't see any of the photos that were hosted on photobucket, I've included a new series of milestone build photos highlighting different stages of the journey.

2009 - One of many ideation sketches.

Beginnings of the buck from the full scale 2D dimensional drawings

Wireframe buck completed - this is basically a mannequin to which we shaped the interior and exterior panels.

Metal fabrication begins

We rolled the buck with the panels mounted outside and stood way back getting a 'look see' to determine if any of the body lines need adjustment. It was around 2013 when R2 went into storage.(This photo is dated 2019...overall photos of the car weren't released until this year)

Time to finish her up. After about 4 years R2 comes out of storage. As it turned out, when the car came back into the shop the doors, front and rear fascias and interior compartment had some pretty dramatic changes applied.

Body is prepped for epoxy and high build primer.

Block sanding begins.

LS6 mated to a Porsche G50 Transaxle.

Electrical harnesses needed to be modified and lengthened.

First parking lot shakedown.

Trim pieces are still being 3D printed/finished as well as the installation of a new clutch master cylinder. But aside from that the car is ready for the street.

We have a few videos on iNVision's YouTube channel if you are interested in hearing the car run(more videos are coming).

I would like to thank everyone for following along with this build over the years.

Thanks for checking in Waynne! With everything that is going on these days its great to hear from your friends. All is ok on my end. Staying out of trouble by keeping busy with work. I hope you and yours are safe and well.

We've had the Metelic R2 mid-engine sports car on the road now on a pretty regular basis and its performing beyond expectations.

The 40/60 front/rear weight distribution makes it almost impossible to break the rear wheels loose...almost. The car just goes.

We have added some new slideshow and driving videos to the YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/c/iNVisionPrototypes

If you get a chance check them out. Please hit LIKE and subscribe so that we can keep making more videos of this sports car before the driving season comes to an end.Metelic R2 - Top View2.jpgINVR2-Body Fabrication6082.jpgMetelic R2 - Rear View With Emblem2.jpg

I'm currently working on an electric hot rod we call 'Electrode' for a good friend.
Electrode Concept - Week6.jpg
It's based around a '62 Corvette windshield he brought me. You can watch the build series videos on our channel.

And in a about a month or so I'll be starting on a custom scratch built '40 Ford Coupe that is scaled 5% larger than an original.

If enough people are interested I'll see what I can do about starting a build thread on the project.

Cheers!

Looks wonderful |B Is that maroon car the same or is it a Mk 2 version ?

Thank you!

The maroon car 'Rhythm' came before the blue one 'Metelic R2'. The design was influenced by the SR71 Blackbird recon plane and late '60s muscle cars ...something I started when I was around 18 back in 1998. As I was completing the project my mind was already thinking about what I would change if I built 'the next one'. Basically, its the prototype for Metelic R2 which is 28" shorter and about 800lbs lighter.

You can see the build journey albums for both vehicles on my facebook page.

R1&R2 Overview2.jpg

Awesome and thanks for the updates. I can see how the design has evolved and i'm preferring the blue one, but they both look stunning.

Thank you Gents! The blue one started out as a personal project then got mothballed due to other work coming through the shop. It sat for about 3.5 years before a friend offered to take it over having me finish it for him. I agreed under one condition *wink* *wink* ... I could borrow it from time to time :) The subsequent 'from scratch' cars are bespoke builds for clients.

I'll be starting the wire frame buck for the '40 Ford Coupe - 'M40C' shortly with regular facebook and Instagram posts illustrating the progress. Not sure if we will have time to do another build vlog on our YT channel. If enough people are interested we just might. We'll see.

M40C -12.jpg

If you squint just right you'll make out a pickup truck option - the 'M40P' on the full size scaled blueprint. I'm still ironing out a few design details with the body before we begin.

Thanks again for the thumbs up.

Hi Everyone!

Here's little update on the 1940 Ford inspired Coupe we're working on. The donor has been prepped and we are well underway with the wireframe buck. Won't be long before we being shaping the sheet metal body.

We have started a Build Log for this project on our YouTube channel.

Here are a few pics.
M40C - 182.jpgM40C - 202.jpgM40C - 282.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very nice, thanks for the updates, this is a really popular and well read thread, I think you've inspired many others out there to think big.