"The Next One" - Handcrafted Mid-Engine Sports Car

I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm on my Rhythm fabrication thread. That really shows the passion you guys have for not only your projects underway in your garages but as well as other members' rides. Thanks very much.

I had mentioned that I wanted to share a new project vehicle that was in progress. Like the first vehicle build, it's something that both my dad and I are involved with...I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Idea

Rhythm was in the final stages of assembly and as crazy as it sounds in the back of my mind I found myself already tossing around the idea of creating a second mid-engine vehicle. However, taking into account what had been learned over the course of the building Rhythm, I decided that if and when this new project began, fabrication would have to be approached from an entirely different perspective.

You may have previously seen that Rhythm’s body was essentially hammered and dollied out entirely by hand. While this sounds impressive and taught me how sheet metal behaves, it was immensely time consuming – not something I wanted to repeat. So an English wheel would have to be bought or built to help in creating the panels. I decided to build one. Also, with the next one, a fixture would have to be developed to not only provide a base for shaping the body panels, but to also ensure higher fabrication tolerances. These fixtures are usually referred to as bucks and can be created many ways including carving a full-scale shape out of foam or building a wooden buck. To meet our requirements we decided to create a wire frame buck. This buck would provide the flexibility to alter particular aspects of the design features relatively easily if it was ever necessary. To ensure that the buck was always square and remained true during the sheet metal shaping process an extremely rigid frame table was necessary. I dislike doing things over again, so the frame table was designed and built in such a way that it was fully adjustable in all 3 planes and to not only work for this project but for others as well.

Design Overview

Starting out as a fresh sheet of paper design, ‘the next one’ loosely resembles Rhythm. Simply called R2, the lines have been re-proportioned and tightened up resulting in a modern aggressive appearance. Since it’s being built as a driver, we want a final fit and finish that only a metal body can provide. An LS6/LS7 engine mated to a Porsche G50 transmission called for a redesign of the chassis for increased rigidity as well. Rolling on 275/35/R18s in the front & 315/30/R19s rear R2 is 28” shorter, 6” narrower, and a little over 900lbs lighter for a total weight of about 2800lbs. The final horsepower to weight ratio is expected to come in around 6lb/HP.

Here are the specifics:
R2SpecSheet2.jpg

Creating the Wire Frame Buck

Once R2’s final design was established and renderings completed 2-dimensional construction drawings were created. These were then taken to a print shop and scaled to full size side, top, front & rear views and posted on our shop’s ‘build board’. Then the exciting part began. To create the wire frame buck, the wheelbase, engine/transmission, seating position, and front windscreen locations were set using sliding jigs on the frame table based on design dimensions from a common datum point. Construction of the wire frame buck began by simultaneously working with four drawings and translating reference dimensions from the ‘build board’ into 3D and 'stump shaping' steel rods, square-stock, and flarbar to match the appropriate feature curves.

Initial 20 minute mockup... I grabbed some parts from storage to get an idea of the new proportions. Ahh.. no worries, those won't be the final wheels... :D
INVR2-BodyFabrication02-1.jpg

We're into the thick of it with the fabrication of the wire frame buck. The various lengths of box tubing were fabricated to slide along the frame table, then lock into place at set positions. Other lengths were tacked to them.
INVR2-BodyFabrication012.jpg

To make room for another job, R2 is rolled out of the bay and covered up. At this point, with most of the wire frame completed, the tarp actually created a temporary surface on the buck and outlined some of the body lines.
R2-UnderWraps12.jpg

Just to clarify, the wire frame is a temporary structure. Once all the inner & outer panels have been created it will be removed and all the panels re-assembled on their own.

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Some projects: http://www.facebook.com/iNVisionPrototypes

Last edited:
Once all the pieces are run through the tipping wheel they are put into the shrinker/stretchers to bend them into their appropriate locations.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4002_zps515bf283.jpg

After about 30 minutes or shrinking/stretching the pieces are in place… ready for final tweaking to smooth out any deviations in the corner highlight and welded.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4012_zps104ee409.jpg

Pieces are removed, tweaked, plug holes created and welded together…except for the top allowing the part to be inserted.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4022_zps202e63d7.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4032_zps2bc68015.jpg

All the welds are smoothed out.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4062_zps8143be30.jpg

Taking a break from grinding the structure - making another list for details that still need to be finished before primer is applied.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4052_zps9ded40ed.jpg

The body is really starting to take shape – even though it’s only the structure. It'll be a shame to cover all this fabrication up with the exterior panels.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4072_zps3031b55d.jpg

Cool sparks! Hiding under the car – to finish welding the floor pans.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4082_zps7b9d866f.jpg

Finding some areas that weren’t welded earlier.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4092_zps9cbaf233.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4102_zps554addfb.jpg

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Body structure ground, washed, sanded, washed again and getting prepped for primer.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4112_zps2574c271.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4122_zps69614df1.jpg

Interior looks quite bare…at least at the moment.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4132_zps3c7abe40.jpg

Shooting the structure with primer is next.

Thanks for checking out the progress. :lol:

Marvellous, many thanks for the latest update Nick. Should I one day be fortunate enough to win the Lottery, you and I will be very busy on a dream project that I have in mind :amuse:

Here comes the primer!

Shooting the first coat of 2k epoxy starting from the inside areas and working out.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4152_zps69350727.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4142_zps8f4ec4db.jpg

Mixing up a rather reduced gun of 2k Epoxy allows it to seep into most of the joints and crevices. Working systematically soon all the bare metal will be sealed up.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4162_zpsdf4589bc.jpg

Then, after a few more coats of regular consistency epoxy, R2’s structure looks quite different.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4172_zps7b33921e.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4182_zps7b4dfcdf.jpg

Getting some 2k primer on areas of panels that'll be hidden from view once installed.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4192_zps5f777d0e.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4202_zpsc1e248ed.jpg

Door shells and hood structure also have some primer on them and set aside... for now.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4212_zps1fe23d61.jpg

Thanks for looking. :lol:

Some work that was done on the front end.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4222_zps0b688d46.jpg

This bracket ties together 3 crucial areas: front body mount; hood trough; and inner fender. It also acts as one part of the headlight mount.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4232_zps1e3af514.jpg

Structural web installed using a jig that references the frame table and outer headlight mount.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4242_zps1ba8c9e1.jpg

Jig removed and headlight ready to be mocked up.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4252_zpsb2d18a29.jpg

Tacking together pieces that make up the door hinge arm.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4262_zpse5277415.jpg

Hinge arm cooling after being welding complete.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4272_zpscd21b723.jpg

Grinding begins on the hinge arm.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4282_zps4c6d438d.jpg

Resuming where we left off a while ago with this door, the passenger door is reassembled without the shell.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4292_zpsf11b3ffd.jpg

Swinging the hinge up checking to see that we have the appropriate clearances.

The body side has been temporarily installed so that we can start work on the driver’s side hinge.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4302_zps63b3752a.jpg

Completed door shells had already been primered and being prepped for installation.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4312_zps2abcb96b.jpg

Gapping the shell’s perimeter.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4322_zps4283774a.jpg

Impact beams going in…and creating the hinge pocket within the door.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4332_zps9a5d27ac.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4342_zps3be8025a.jpg

Voila!! After assembling, lining up the hinge arm and tacking things in place we try swinging the door.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4352_zps17109de4.jpg

Now it’s time to make things a little more permanent. All the brackets are tacked in place so that the staged assistance lift cylinders can be mounted.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4362_zpse343e226.jpg

Butterfly doors all set up and opening on their own. Ready to disassemble the brackets and impact beams and prep them for paint.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4372_zps861fa909.jpg

If you guys want to see a video of the doors in action visit this link on my facebook site. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151249339872084&set=vb.110492185660865&type=3&theater

Here's another little thread update.
Starting to fabricate the integrated roll cage structure. Once installed, you’ll never see it.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4382_zps918319ce.jpg

“Normal” bending procedures couldn’t be used. In order to have it fit between the sheet metal roof structure and roof skin the angles got a little tricky.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4392_zps9cf34a9d.jpg

Several methods can be used to cut the ends of the DOM tubing for a tight fitment. Here we’re using a hole saw cutter that best fit the tubing outside diameter.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4402_zps4176f756.jpg

Front hoop clamped in the tubing bender. Unlike a standard pipe bender, this type of bender will not kink the DOM. The heavy duty hubs we have kicking around always seem to come in handy for stands.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4412_zps2d1f4e5c.jpg

With the shop renovation underway things get pretty dusty no matter how many times we go through and clean up.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4422_zps6a279acc.jpg

Finishing up the final welds on the cab’s cage structure. That’s one hot flash!
INVR2-BodyFabrication4432_zps85f8a219.jpg

With the cage temporarily installed, it's time to add the mounts for the seat belt harnesses. It'll be removed again for final welding on the brackets.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4482_zps1618e389.jpg

A while ago I started on the door hinge close out panels.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4522_zpsb66a530a.jpg

Starting out with a blank of sheet metal the template shapes where transposed and pieces trimmed. A perimeter flange needed to be ‘tipped’ up. The only problem with this was that there is too much material in the corners. Using the Lancaster shrinking machine isn’t too effective due to the corner radii. So I created this tucking tool that creates tucks in the sheet metal essentially reducing the amount of material in the corners.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4562_zps3eeb0cb9.jpg

After one time around with the tucking tool you can see how much material needs to disappear to create appropriate flange angles. Next, the ends of the tucks need to be closed. This will lock in the tuck and prevent it from running away.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4572_zpsd7579512.jpg

Locked in, a hammer is used to drive the bumps down basically mashing the material into itself.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4582_zps2b90a7f6.jpg

Once all the bumps were driven down, additional tucks were required for the flange to stand up some more. The tuck shrinking procedure is repeated again to make more material “disappear”.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4592_zps10de731a.jpg

With all the tucks hammered down, the flange is now at the correct angle. The edges are trimmed and the piece is ready to be welded in, but only after the inner reveal and removable cover plate(template on right) have been created.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4602_zps1479feda.jpg

Once the inner piece was shaped and tacked in place the actual hole that the hinge passes through needed to be created.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4532_zps8d895500.jpg

Hinge close out access panel created with edges turned inward for that 'factory' appearance.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4542_zps23ba7529.jpg

Closeout panel trimmed and mocked up with a 3/16" gap between the hinge and hole perimeter. Still need to create fastener mounts on the inner face so that when finished and installed you don't see any fasteners when the door is opened.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4552_zpsbb49906f.jpg

Hey T9! I'm cutting up R2!?!
INVR2-BodyFabrication4612_zpsa4e05bac.jpg

Kidding! :lol::lol:

Just a little as sometimes it’s necessary to back up a little in order to move forward. The location of the door latch was moved from its “original” location due to the way that the hinge pivot worked out. Naturally, this new spot had to interfere with the upper impact beam tube by about ¾”. Thanks Murphy.

OEM R2 door latches are being installed. Seriously, that's factory stamped.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4622_zps1a2f803d.jpg

Chop! Chop! Work begins on the door latch bracket.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4642_zpsb122a261.jpg

Opening up the latch's strike slot.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4652_zps02861d7e.jpg

Driver's side latch installed, now time to clean it up and finish the sheet metal work.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4662_zpsbb7b4042.jpg

Assembling the passenger side latch. Once aligned, the bracket can be welded in.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4672_zps3f410d2f.jpg

There have been other jobs and projects that pull me away from the R2 build.

Here's an illustration of the '32 Ford inspired roadster that's currently in progress. You can see the build photos on my facebook site.
INRDSRT-Speedsterp_zps0c523892.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Here's a photo of the roaster as of last night. Just fabricated the hood skin. Soon as the hood's structure is complete, the skin will have the flanges rolled.
INVRDSTR-Body1162_zps4a062a22.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, it's been a while since my last update on R2 as things have been pretty crazy here around the shop. Thanks for you patience.

Here are a few photos of the body's seams being caulked and installation of the integrated cage.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4682_zps14bed119.jpg

Completed parts getting prepped for paint and touchup.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4692_zps95f162e1.jpg

Steve working on the cage… aligning and making final preparations for the unit to be welded in place.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4702_zpsaef35e4f.jpg

That’s it! Finally welding underway
INVR2-BodyFabrication4712_zps922a6e6e.jpg

Some welds are trickier than others.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4722_zps28df5012.jpg

Adding a door strike backer plate before the body sides get installed for the final time. The welded areas will be touched up with primer agian.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4732_zps5ed35f0a.jpg

Body sides mounted, clamped in place and prepped for final welding.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4742_zps096b5746.jpg

Hey, look Maw… no clamps! Plug welds completed. Sorry for the blurry image...those reflections kept throwing the focus of the camera.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4752_zps3a4d983a.jpg

Roof skin installation is coming up next. Thanks again for checking out this project.

With the body sides on permanently, preparations are being made to install the roof skin.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4762_zps07e242a4.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4772_zps19070ef5.jpg

Fitting the roof for the final time. With edges rolled under at the door tops, low spots are slowly worked out with a dollie and spoon.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4782_zps0280e38d.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication4792_zpsb07515ef.jpg

Roof's rear edge aligned with the window surround.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4802_zps180fa35c.jpg

This is as close as we can get without the windscreen in place. Next step, mock up the windscreen and gap the perimeter.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4812_zps326cce6e.jpg

Windscreen dropped into place. Checking to ensure that we haven’t lost the ¼” perimeter gap during the transition from the wire frame buck stage to the current stage of panel assembly.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4822_zps90d2f4b8.jpg

Final check of the perimeter gap...
INVR2-BodyFabrication4832_zps1f68b46f.jpg

Head on check for symmetry. Except for a small area on the driver’s side that needs to be brought up prior to welding, all the reflections look great!
INVR2-BodyFabrication4842_zps89e43842.jpg

With the glass out, we can proceed to clamp and plug weld the roof into place.
INVR2-BodyFabrication4812_zps326cce6e.jpg

Thanks for looking and I'd like to wish everyone a very happy and great New Year! Cheers! :)

Windscreen dropped into place. Checking to ensure that we haven’t lost the ¼” perimeter gap during the transition from the wire frame buck stage to the current stage of panel assembly.

The perimeter gap is spot on! Patience and planning does pay off.

Head on check for symmetry. Except for a small area on the driver’s side that needs to be brought up prior to welding, all the reflections look great!

INVR2-BodyFabrication4852_zps0f0a9362.jpg

Reactions: Teo
Words fail me............No, of course they don't :) Brilliant work, how about a long shot to show whole car?

The perimeter gap is spot on! Patience and planning does pay off.

INVR2-BodyFabrication4852_zps0f0a9362.jpg

You Sir are Blessed with Creativity and an OPEN Mind to pursue it! :cool:|B

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I can't wait to get back onto this build in full force... the roadster and a few other projects need to get more or less done before R2 is back in the shop.

old-git - Here's a photo taken while things were being shuffled around in the shop. Body is close to being complete, however as a whole we have a ways to go.
INVR2-Body%20Fabrication4942_zpsnmlap2ul.jpg

... a bit off topic, but here's one of the roadster.
INVRDSTR-Body1482_zps45691a67.jpg

Thanks, both looking great.

Geez, I have trouble finding the time to rebuild one car, let alone make a couple (at least) from scratch. Could I have the contact details of your energy tablet supplier? :)

Energy tablets?!?... Dang!.. why didn't I think of that.. I've been eating coffee grinds by the tablespoon(takes too much nrg to make a cup or run out for one)..:rofl::rofl::woot::).

I have more pictures of the roadster build including the chassis on my facebook page.

I just went through the thread, and I have to say that the car is looking absolutely amazing. You are doing amazing work and I cannot wait to see more.

Hi gents, some metal shaping we completed on a friend's XJ6 Series 3.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag612_zpsaomfshpu.jpg

Take a deep breath...and cut. There's no room for fear when building a custom.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag622_zpsef4irwsg.jpg

WO1366%20-%2084Jag642_zpsqnnwa4qn.jpg

Starting with pressed paper, the main area is laid out with indicators showing where to cut, bend, stretch and shrink.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag652_zpsiwia3esw.jpg

Lines transferred to sheet metal

WO1366%20-%2084Jag662_zpsifcfko58.jpg

Now the fun begins! Prestretching and metal manipulation.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag672_zps4frybvar.jpg

Smoothing things out before more prestretching can take place.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag682_zps2en2gjnv.jpg

Taking on a basic shape!

WO1366%20-%2084Jag692_zpsflqqim85.jpg

Once the other side was completed and many hours of trimming, welding, planishing...the new fascia is just about complete. Needs a set of turn signals.

WO1366%20-%2084Jag702_zpspobcp21v.jpg

Metalwork for this Jag's integrated front fascia is done!

Thank you. The boot received the same treatment... that is, a new bumper. Shaved the drip rails, drivers side fuel filler and engine compartment.