"The Next One" - Handcrafted Mid-Engine Sports Car

I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm on my Rhythm fabrication thread. That really shows the passion you guys have for not only your projects underway in your garages but as well as other members' rides. Thanks very much.

I had mentioned that I wanted to share a new project vehicle that was in progress. Like the first vehicle build, it's something that both my dad and I are involved with...I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Idea

Rhythm was in the final stages of assembly and as crazy as it sounds in the back of my mind I found myself already tossing around the idea of creating a second mid-engine vehicle. However, taking into account what had been learned over the course of the building Rhythm, I decided that if and when this new project began, fabrication would have to be approached from an entirely different perspective.

You may have previously seen that Rhythm’s body was essentially hammered and dollied out entirely by hand. While this sounds impressive and taught me how sheet metal behaves, it was immensely time consuming – not something I wanted to repeat. So an English wheel would have to be bought or built to help in creating the panels. I decided to build one. Also, with the next one, a fixture would have to be developed to not only provide a base for shaping the body panels, but to also ensure higher fabrication tolerances. These fixtures are usually referred to as bucks and can be created many ways including carving a full-scale shape out of foam or building a wooden buck. To meet our requirements we decided to create a wire frame buck. This buck would provide the flexibility to alter particular aspects of the design features relatively easily if it was ever necessary. To ensure that the buck was always square and remained true during the sheet metal shaping process an extremely rigid frame table was necessary. I dislike doing things over again, so the frame table was designed and built in such a way that it was fully adjustable in all 3 planes and to not only work for this project but for others as well.

Design Overview

Starting out as a fresh sheet of paper design, ‘the next one’ loosely resembles Rhythm. Simply called R2, the lines have been re-proportioned and tightened up resulting in a modern aggressive appearance. Since it’s being built as a driver, we want a final fit and finish that only a metal body can provide. An LS6/LS7 engine mated to a Porsche G50 transmission called for a redesign of the chassis for increased rigidity as well. Rolling on 275/35/R18s in the front & 315/30/R19s rear R2 is 28” shorter, 6” narrower, and a little over 900lbs lighter for a total weight of about 2800lbs. The final horsepower to weight ratio is expected to come in around 6lb/HP.

Here are the specifics:
R2SpecSheet2.jpg

Creating the Wire Frame Buck

Once R2’s final design was established and renderings completed 2-dimensional construction drawings were created. These were then taken to a print shop and scaled to full size side, top, front & rear views and posted on our shop’s ‘build board’. Then the exciting part began. To create the wire frame buck, the wheelbase, engine/transmission, seating position, and front windscreen locations were set using sliding jigs on the frame table based on design dimensions from a common datum point. Construction of the wire frame buck began by simultaneously working with four drawings and translating reference dimensions from the ‘build board’ into 3D and 'stump shaping' steel rods, square-stock, and flarbar to match the appropriate feature curves.

Initial 20 minute mockup... I grabbed some parts from storage to get an idea of the new proportions. Ahh.. no worries, those won't be the final wheels... :D
INVR2-BodyFabrication02-1.jpg

We're into the thick of it with the fabrication of the wire frame buck. The various lengths of box tubing were fabricated to slide along the frame table, then lock into place at set positions. Other lengths were tacked to them.
INVR2-BodyFabrication012.jpg

To make room for another job, R2 is rolled out of the bay and covered up. At this point, with most of the wire frame completed, the tarp actually created a temporary surface on the buck and outlined some of the body lines.
R2-UnderWraps12.jpg

Just to clarify, the wire frame is a temporary structure. Once all the inner & outer panels have been created it will be removed and all the panels re-assembled on their own.

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Some projects: http://www.facebook.com/iNVisionPrototypes

Last edited:
Awesome updates mate! Out of curiosity...? Do you have a completion date?

Thanks for the thumbs up Davalav! :D

Completion date?.. .Not really. This isn't the only project I'm working on. All I can say is that I enjoy creating and don't rush the process. R2 will get done when it gets done. :D A build at this level will more than likely near the 5000hour mark. My previous personal one-off vehicle build took 8000hrs, but I also considered that my apprenticeship in vehicle design and fabrication as well.

Hope you guys aren't getting too bored...

By the way, I'm sitting at just over 1600hours at this point into R2's build.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It's possible that some may be getting impatient that I'm not done yet.

"Reality" TV shows that showcase one week/one month/6 month vehicle builds are great in generating interest in the automotive hobby and providing viewers with a brief summary of what one can expect to see during a vehicle's build process. But, these shows also really skew a viewer's perceptions as to what's really involved in customizing an existing or building a scratch built anything.

Hi everyone,

After a brief mock up of all the panels mounted on the buck I noticed that the top curvature of the doors was too straight. I thought I allowed enough, but my guesstimate at the onset of creating this panel wasn't enough and now that the features have been locked in determined it would be a little tough to move the area around. So, rather than fab a new panel, out came the zip blade. The thought of cutting into a 'finished' panel wasn't an issue. If something isn't right at this raw metal stage...it definitely won't look right by splashing a little paint on it.

The cut line was marked.

Eyeballing about 5/16" of excess material to be removed at the centre and tapering to nothing at the ends...another cut was made, surfaces re-aligned and tacked.

followed by some more tacks...

and some more...

Connecting the tacks with welds about 5/8" long, grinding the weld, planishing the area to control warpage and repeating.

a view from the inside.

Have a great day! :)

A journey in design and fabrication begins with a vision, a single pen stroke ... and in some cases the blow of a hammer.

Moving along with the rear hatch and fascia.

Sail panels prepped for final welding.

Rear hatch flipped on edge for easier hammer and dollie access while additional areas are tacked.

Time to clean up the weld. Another hour or so of grinding, planishing and filing and the seams will become invisible.

Transition piece made to join the upper and lower rear fascia together and tacked in place.

Top joint welded and finished.

Starting to tack the lower piece together.

Letting the bottom joint welds cool before starting to clean them up with the grinder.

All the joints finished with the grinder, filed and planished. Next stop will be to create the mount of the license plate light.

Thanks for taking the time to check out these updates. :)

Moving onto the rear tubs. My bother-in-law, Steve, jumps right in and creates the inner panels for the rear tubs. This was his first "time at the wheel" of the bead roller and tipping machine.
INVR2-BodyFabrication2932_zps034b6bd8.jpg

Tipping the offset around the panel's perimeter after running in the centre beads.
INVR2-BodyFabrication2942_zpsce2d5db1.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication2952_zps2a124f95.jpg.html

Inner wheel tub panels installed.
INVR2-BodyFabrication2962_zps987aa123.jpg

Inner wheel tub panels installed. Now time to re-radius and clean up the outer return lip.
INVR2-BodyFabrication2972_zps65f66e7b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Here's another update for this thread.

Creating the pieces that will form the hood's sub-structure...that is, the framework that supports the hood skin and hinges.

Holding the initial prototype profile created from a scrap strip of sheet metal to get a sense of surface heights. This is a quick way to wrap your head around how to form the required parts.

After a template for one side of the hood structure was created the overall shape was transposed onto sheet metal for both sides.

One side cut out and ready for shaping....

Surprise surprise!! Something as simple as a cereal box...in this case two of them were used to create the 'formed' template.

One side of the hood's structure completed...now onto the other side.

Once the second side and rear area of the structure have been completed, assembly can begin.

Hi I have the same idea but n bit diverent in that I is going to use a alfa GT junior body and put the Subaro engine and gearbox where the back dif use to sit , I do not know if it will work and if the body will still be strong enough afterwards, but ja I have'nt started yet, the turbo charge diesel Land Cruiser is first in line.
I would like to see the finish product, Ilike your idea,but my enjeneering skills is up to nothing.
Enjoy
andries H

Hi AndriesH! The Alfa GT sounds like a very cool and doable build! :D The biggest tip I can suggest is to have a complete project plan. This includes a timeline, budget, parts list, where you'll source these parts as well as tools you may need.

If you have any questions, it would be my pleasure to help you out. Tell you what... If you hit 'Like' on my facebook page and share some more details over there about this Alfa GT you want to build, I'll come up with a sketch for you. It's a great way to get the creative juices flowing.

By the way, thanks very much for the kind words mate! :bigsmile:

Hi Nich
I have the engine and gearbox of a 2lt Subaru single turbo but I don't think the gearbox will work becouse the back dif is not there, but ja I am asking around and nobody seems to know if it will work or not, no worries I will come up with something, thanks for the response.
andriesH

Hi everyone!

Time to assemble the hood's structure.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3752_zps940570a1.jpg

To ensure the structure correctly fits the body it's located and clamped for final welding.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3762_zps178eddb5.jpg

Dressing up the welds...
INVR2-BodyFabrication3832_zps457efb92.jpg

Well this may be a strange sight to you guys....an empty bay where R2's construction has been going on...and boy, at the time it did feel strange. No worries, with all the body panels removed from the wire buck and the buck moved out - the final body panel assembly can begin!

Lengths of box tubing placed across the table to help in supporting/clamping the structural panels.

Final assembly begins...

Front and rear wheel wells, firewall, and rockers placed and clamped together.

A few screws temporarily hold the panels together ... allowing more panels to be added.

Stay tuned, more to come. :)

Final assembly of the structure continues....one piece at a time.

Working on the wiper tray. Roof structure temporarily located.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3552_zpsbd1ab78f.jpg

Attaching the body sides...temporarily. These will be removed after the body has been squared to the table.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3562_zps20ee3215.jpg

Squaring up the rear structure and drilling a multitude of holes soon to be plug welded.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3572_zps03b60590.jpg

Rear trough pulled out yet again so panels can be welded.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3592_zpsdd31bcce.jpg

Rear moisture trough and rear window perimeter dropped in to help located other panels.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3582_zpsd4c5b91b.jpg

Rear trough reinstalled for final welding.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3602_zps66025334.jpg

Thanks for checking out the build guys.

Moving forward...

Earlier, the gas filler housing was formed and tacked. The time has come to complete the final welding on small parts such as these.

INVR2-BodyFabrication3662_zpsbe403934.jpg

Welded up and ready for grinding.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3672_zps3f97c221.jpg

First pass with a course disk on the grinder takes down the weld pride.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3682_zps8315c300.jpg

Second pass with the course disk.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3692_zps53635882.jpg

Gas filler housing smoothed out with a file and flap disk. Now to scribe and trim away the vertical flange for a perfect fit.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3702_zps7f499817.jpg

My Dad creating a part for R2. I've been his shadow ever since I could walk...following him around and always asking the question "why?". He always takes the time to explain how things work or how a solution can be approached and taught me everything I know.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3742_zps650b79be.jpg

Brother-in-law Steve designing templates for the rear structure. Basically the last pieces required before the structure goes into primer stage.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3712_zpsb927ba4e.jpg

Steve did a great job fabricating and plug welding pieces for the rear structure. His fabrication skills have really developed since he started working with us on these projects.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3722_zpseba75d08.jpg

Final welding underway...
INVR2-BodyFabrication3652_zps7bbc7429.jpg

With the body sides temporarily located it was time to get the roof structure located.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3612_zps2eb1a8a3.jpg

Roof structure prepped to be welded.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3622_zps9cc70ffc.jpg

Roof structure in place tying together the front and rear firewalls and body sides. Time for some tacks to hold things in place.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3632_zps4099f918.jpg

Sequentially moving around the body structure clamping joints together for plug welding.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3642_zps4200cea2.jpg

Thanks for following this project.

Enough of this ;) stuff! :)

The effort and skill evident in this project puts all other projects on this site, and other sites, to shame.

I can sort of imagine doing a body in fibreglass or carbon fibre, but not steel!

Can't tell yet, bit I fervently hope that the final looks and performance compliment the time, effort and skill poured into it.

...The effort and skill evident in this project puts all other projects on this site, and other sites, to shame. ...

Old git...there are a number of seriously talented people out there. Just like them, I do what I do and work at it till it's right.

.... I fervently hope that the final looks and performance compliment the time, effort and skill poured into it.

Me too...

Hi Nick, purely out of curiosity here, with the car being made out of steel, do you use some sort of rust inhibitor on the body before you use a primer? I was just wondering what the procedure was to reduce any likelyhood of rust coming through.

Hi Nick, purely out of curiosity here, with the car being made out of steel, do you use some sort of rust inhibitor on the body before you use a primer? I was just wondering what the procedure was to reduce any likelyhood of rust coming through.

They have etching and 2k epoxy primers available that we'll be using to seal the sheet metal as the structure and body get closer to completion.

Marking out the passenger side door jam for the hinge pocket.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3772_zpse55d934a.jpg

Keeping the zip disk on the inner black sharpie line the hole cut out nice and clean.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3782_zpsdff04795.jpg

After de-burring the edges a little - this will be used as a template for the other side.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3792_zpsb25531cf.jpg

Piece from the passenger side flipped horizontally and traced.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3802_zps8fb71bb1.jpg

Again, staying on the sharpie line, the hole is made.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3812_zpsaec30e3f.jpg

Now it's time to make the hinge pocket. You'll see why we're going through all this once the hole for the hinge arm is created.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3822_zps348b479a.jpg

Welding continues on the rear hatch structure...
INVR2-BodyFabrication3842_zpsa8ebe1a3.jpg

Cleaning up the welds
INVR2-BodyFabrication3852_zps73c47749.jpg

Running a long board over the panel with some course paper shows up the highs and lows in the metal. These areas can now be planished using on and off dollie techniques to bring up the low areas and lower the high areas.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3862_zps5bdd8249.jpg

Thanks for checking out the build fellas! :D

I hope the new year finds everyone well. :p

Here's an update on the door hinge brackets.

The hinge bracket geometry can get a little tricky...
INVR2-BodyFabrication3872_zps70528a06.jpg

Translating dimensions to the second hinge.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3882_zps08d1d85e.jpg

Cutting a few tacks to make adjustments on the hinge.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3892_zpsf4c36710.jpg

Work starts on the body’s rear structural webs…tying together the rear wall, rockers, wheel wells, and upper structure.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3922_zpsd454da2d.jpg

….2 Per side - 4 webs in total
INVR2-BodyFabrication3932_zps720ddc1a.jpg

Passenger side webs mocked up so that the bridging pieces can be made.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3942_zps041aab11.jpg

After the bridging templates are created they are transferred to sheet metal where appropriate flanges are marked out.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3952_zps6f065cd0.jpg

Offset flanges are created with the tipping wheel to allow the pieces to interconnect with each other.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3962_zps06c9c6b4.jpg

First pass though shapes the piece…second pass through will smooth out the highlight reflection…
INVR2-BodyFabrication3972_zps1be9b3b4.jpg

Lower wheel is changed to a skateboard wheel to create the side flanges.
INVR2-BodyFabrication3982_zps837ff807.jpg

INVR2-BodyFabrication3992_zps1e40db16.jpg