The newish Jag range

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on the new styling direction for Jaguar (Since about 2007)!

I'm really liking it, the XF has put them back on the map for me. I was quite tempted by one of those, but the purchase price was a little high when I was looking.

Well, they are beautiful, but...they look to me as though they are trying too hard. I have, on occasion, seen an XF next to my 05 S-Type, and they look posh and expensive, but not nearly as cosseting and engaging as my car. Maybe it`s the color...all the new Jags I have seen recently were black, save one dark-silver XF. Mind you, I am a ranty old git, so techno-wizardry gadgetry doesn`t have much appeal to me...that is what I hated on the 5-series!

The new XJ, on the other hand, looks almost too discrete for what it is, and looks a bit too much like a bigger XF. It is only the rear that is really very different...it reminds me of Lancias, and that is not a good thing!

They really should do a model for the C-segment (3-series, A4, C-class), without the old XJ looks. Killing the X-Type didn`t do them any favours...

To me, the S-Type looks better than the XF. The new XJ looks better than the old XJ (but only a bit...), and the old X-Type looks better than... no car at all really...:)

But all that is on the outside. On the inside, the new cars look fantastic, even better than mine, and enormously better than anything German or Japanese. Only the Italians seem to come close...but, having been in an XF, I would say they are only one small step away from falling into the techno trap that has caught BMW and Mercedes...alienating older buyers after a few hours of use. Build quality in the interiors seems very, very good, better than the BMWs I have been in. For me, the styling in the interior is more appealling than on the exterior. My car, in comparison, is a bit too old fashioned styling-wise...

Just my opinion.

DF

You are probably right, of course, but still, I wish the cleavage they are trying to make with the past were not so pronounced. I guess the marketing boffins know best...

DF

I think the resession has hit Jag hard. They are still producing beautifull cars, but are struggling to keep the cost down due to lack of sales. I hate to say it, but for value for money and depretiation reasons, the Merc's and the BMW's are far better value for money.

I am glad they got rid of big two front teeth look with the rad. It looked daft.

They are still producing sexy cars though.

i like the new styling, but when you look at the car i don't say thats a jag. they a beautiful and and perform well. i am a bit old school. I have a 2006 xj. bought used in 2009 and love it. the j-gate says jaguar to me, the pop up gear selector says tech to me...

I was more interested in the performance/economy stats than the size of the car. I'd still have been happy with the XF, it was just a bit too new to count! Relaibility reports and running costs seem to be pretty good on it as well.

this past year in the states jag droped the old 4.2 v8 as the base in the xf.
the base car not has the aj v8 5.0 385 hp . the car is about 56k us dollars . the supercharged and r are 470 and 510 hp. and the car tops out over 80k us dollars. I have driven the car the base at least 6 times. loaner from the dealership and I is nice but just not for me. the older 300 hp base definitely needed more hp . that is why there are so many cars out there. different people different tastes and wallets.
you can get a over 400 hp car about 30k new, mustang and camaro but I am 46 yr old and the cars a little to young for me. I had a mustang gt in 2006 and my wife to mee it was a mid-life crissis car . lol.

:lol: I know what you mean - I like subtle looks and good performance. We don't get anything like the Mustang and Camaro over here really which is a real shame! :(

the hp race is getting kiddoff stupid. In 1999 a m3 had 260 hp. now you can get a toyota camry or honda accord with that hp. the 1984 corvette c4 had 200 hp now the c6 has 430 stock with approx. the same engine disp. 5.7 vs 6.2 liter and same or better gas millage. I am not saying that I don't like the muscle but speed limit is slow by todays car standard...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back