The new Project.....

Right lets see if this works. Here's a couple of pics of the 620ti....:bigsmile:
If this works there will be more to follow...

Attachments

• 15122008044.jpg
    15122008044.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 15122008045.jpg
    15122008045.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 16122008049.jpg
    16122008049.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 16122008048.jpg
    16122008048.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 15
Work has now started on the red Ti. The car is now on axle stands the passenger drive shaft has been removed ready for the gearbox to come out. I've also sold the engine bay wiring loom. I'll try an take some pics when the work really starts. I'm just doing bits for now until the weather picks up.

Right here's a few pics of the Ti getting bits stripped. Not done alot yet but work is underway.

3465010079_4db704ccd4.jpg

Front bumper and passenger wing off.
3465010085_f358382d88.jpg

The wing and bumper.
3465010095_2db5ef6bc7.jpg

Slam panel and radiator removed
3465010103_0573324d32.jpg

Thats about it for now the front seats and gearstick surround has been removed but not much else at the minute.

T16 lump is a good engine, similar to YB cossy.

Can make up to 600bhp too but it'll cost ya.

Try dropping a Pulsar turbo on it, near straight fit and gives around 230 bhp on std boost, add a Non Reciprcating bleed valve and 250bhp no probs, on low boost.

Moto build best for mods, they do good turbo upgrades too.

Does either of the Ti's you have, got lsd, as lots were produced with lsd.

T16 lump is a good engine, similar to YB cossy.

Can make up to 600bhp too but it'll cost ya.

Try dropping a Pulsar turbo on it, near straight fit and gives around 230 bhp on std boost, add a Non Reciprcating bleed valve and 250bhp no probs, on low boost.

Moto build best for mods, they do good turbo upgrades too.

Does either of the Ti's you have, got lsd, as lots were produced with lsd.

lol 600BHP? Where did you hear that? Someones telling you fibs.
You'd be very lucky also to achieve 250 BHP on standard internals buddy.
Moto Build aren't too bad if a little pricey.

What are you aiming for TN?

Not really that much TBH. I'm concentrating more on reliability than power. At the minute I just want it on the road for now while I think of the plan. I think at the end I'll be looking at around 230 BHP. But these engines require alot of work for any more than that so time will have to tell. In all honesty it's my first proper atempt at a Turbo'd motor. I mean doing as much as I can myself. It was the cheapest 200BHP around so I thought I'd have a bash at making it abit better over time.

Plenty of people running 400bhp+ from T16, including one chap who has a Maestro turbo powered with a T16.

Nothing wrong with Motobuild, i used them a lot, no worries, very helpfull, they did a lot of work for the big power T16's also.

Yeah, of cause you need to sort the internals for big power but so do you for most small engine big power conversions, unless your a cowboy.

Plenty of people running 400bhp+ from T16, including one chap who has a Maestro turbo powered with a T16.

Nothing wrong with Motobuild, i used them a lot, no worries, very helpfull, they did a lot of work for the big power T16's also.

Yeah, of cause you need to sort the internals for big power but so do you for most small engine big power conversions, unless your a cowboy.

Are we talking about the same engine here because I don't regard a 2.0 as a small engine. The Cosworth engine for one can handle twice standard bhp on standard internals as can probably many these days. To take a 620ti to over 250 bhp is an absolute mission as regards money time and effort. I'm not aiming for big bhp i'm aiming for reliability more than anything.

Keep it std then if you want reliability, they are good std, soon as you mod, smething else is put under strain, especially with a turbocharged car, 620 Ti probably the best motor to have the T16, better than Tomcat, 800 Vitesse, etc, more stealth than wealth.

You said you know your 2 cars, obviously not, you look into it a bit more and you would be surprised, i been there done that, got 218bhp from a 1.4 engine 15 years ago, a lots changed now, same engine 300+bhp, T16 over 800bhp i just read, unreal, 200bhp std turbo to get 230bhp, simple's

You said you know your 2 cars, obviously not, you look into it a bit more and you would be surprised, i been there done that, got 218bhp from a 1.4 engine 15 years ago, a lots changed now, same engine 300+bhp, T16 over 800bhp i just read, unreal, 200bhp std turbo to get 230bhp, simple's

Full exhaust including decat. Induction kits with cold air feed and upping the boost to a constant 11.5 psi instead of progressive will give you 230 bhp easy. I said over 250 is a problem. The pistons in a T16 are quite fragile unless you get the early distribitor model with Mahle pistons but a cork head gasket as standard. The later wasted spark model uses weaker pistons but a better head gasket. Going over 250 bhp on standard internal on the earlier model will blow the head gasket and the later model will melt pistons.

So which model do you have? The one with the crap headgasket and better pistons one would hope!

11.5 psi? I'm always amazed by how little boost other cars run compared to the Punto GT. I (and many others do) used to run 18psi perfectly safely and a few I know run 20psi very reliably on standard internals and HG daily. Tough little buggers they are. Standard boost holds at 15psi IIRC.

So which model do you have? The one with the crap headgasket and better pistons one would hope!

11.5 psi? I'm always amazed by how little boost other cars run compared to the Punto GT. I (and many others do) used to run 18psi perfectly safely and a few I know run 20psi very reliably on standard internals and HG daily. Tough little buggers they are. Standard boost holds at 15psi IIRC.

12psi is max on standard internals on these. And I have both models. I have a distribitor model and a wasted spark model.

Not std on Vitesse or Tomcat only some Ti's for some reason.

Right done a bit of research and from what I can gather all T16's came with Lsd. But only the later wasted spark 620ti model came with Torsen Lsd. So to answer your question about my car and Lsd no it won't have the Torsen Lsd because thats the gearbox that is broke. It will be having a gearbox from a distributor model. Still with Lsd but not the uprated Torsen Lsd unfortunately.

how different are the gearboxes ? could you fit the internals form the non LSD to the LSD one. that is if the LSD itself is not broken

As I understand it they are exactly the same except the Torsen one has Uprated internals. I think it is actually the diff that is broke. I also now have a sneaky suspicion why it has failed. ;)

well whats the reson then, somebody else trying burnouts then ;)

Maybe so... But I think it may be low on oil. I think it has been damaged now though so I don't think it would make a difference if I topped it up. I may try it though and see but i'm not hopefull. I only think this cause the gearstick is really stiff. But saying that it still goes into every gear without trouble (if a little stiff). The only thing now though is it won't go forwards which is why I suspect the diff is broke. The Red one's gearbox is ready to come out now. I'm just trying to get someone to help me remove it as it's too heavy for me and a jack as I don't have access to an engine crane.

do you have a local HSS shop, i got one for a days hire for around £30

I have yes I never thought about them. I'll enquire about that soon. I might have someone soon but I'm unsure when he's available. The first weekend he's available we'll do the swap in a day I hope anyway.

Right done a bit of research and from what I can gather all T16's came with Lsd. But only the later wasted spark 620ti model came with Torsen Lsd. So to answer your question about my car and Lsd no it won't have the Torsen Lsd because thats the gearbox that is broke. It will be having a gearbox from a distributor model. Still with Lsd but not the uprated Torsen Lsd unfortunately.

The coupe turbo came with a torsen lsd as standard.