The New 9-1

Aikmanson

Torque Junkie
Car
1995 Saab 900 2.0T
Have you guys heard about the new 9-1 set to be introduced into the Saab lineup? Found this on autocar and thought I would bring it here.

Spyker just finalized the paperwork for its purchase of Saab, but Spyker CEO Victor Muller already has ideas for his new Swedish brand. Muller says the company is working on a “super-cool” new small car, which may assume the 9-1 name.

For now, the possible 9-1 is internally coded as 92, and is reported to be at least three years away from production. If the car reaches assembly lines, it will likely be produced at Saab’s plant in Trollhattan, Sweden, and is supposed to have a shape reminiscent of the original teardrop Saabs from the 1950s. This design concept fits in perfectly with Muller’s comments about how he intends to use Saab’s heritage to his advantage -- but is a departure from the small Saab concepts built under GM’s auspices.

The “92” will be heavily based on major components supplied by a partner. Muller would not reveal the identity of this partner, but an Opel partnership seems likely as the two companies already share many components and also have a previous relationship through GM. There are also rumors that the acquisition deal included a contract for Opel to supply Saab with Corsa body parts.

Saab’s future small car is part of Muller’s plans for a four-model lineup. The new 9-5 and 9-4x, which both go on sale later this year, will be joined by a new 9-3 in 2012. The “92” appears to be Muller’s pet project, as he tells Autocar he “works with Saab designers every day,” and carries the latest renderings with him on business trips.

With a four-model lineup, Muller hopes to boost sales over 100,000 units annually. In 2008 Saab sold 95,000 cars, but sales collapsed to only 40,000 units in 2009.

Source: Autocar

What do you guys think about this? Personally I am excited and am hoping this will bring a true sports car back to saab! I saw somewhere that Muller promises it will sell more than the Mini and compare with smaller Audi cars (in the US)

Interesting, they need a big launch on a new model to fully relaunch the company, I wait with baited breath!

I hope this proves to be, just the kick start that Saab need to help broaden the appeal of these wonderful cars to the masses! :bigsmile:

Hopefully Spyker/Saab won't be stingey and release these models only in Europe; The US is in some desperate need of some quality made european cars to combat the asian market (honda, yota, kia, VOLVO:blink:)

Saab seems to be focusing their efforts on the US as they just remained their 9-5 model the 9-11, which according to Muller will touch a spot with Americans. Wish I could say i was making that up.

That kind of marketing strategy, is both unnecessary and totally unworthy of a long standing an innovative car company like Saab!

Something is clearly very wrong if the only way you can sell cars, is to tug on the heart strings of a great nation through a link to a terrible act! :sad2:

I sincerely hope that they rethink this marketing ploy as a matter of urgency!!

I agree T9, I honestly do not have a comment on it... I kind of just shake my head.

Anyone else know anything more about the 9-1? Wish I could dish out the money for a new one.

Hopefully Spyker/Saab won't be stingey and release these models only in Europe; The US is in some desperate need of some quality made european cars to combat the asian market (honda, yota, kia, VOLVO:blink:)

Volvo?
What's wrong with those? :blink:
Also they are swedish as well :bigsmile:

Also, as for the 9-1 I hope that spyker can make something of saab, a new chassis with that awesome 2.3 Turbo engine in would be great

Jarrus, FoMoCo sold the volvo line to the beijing auto group about a month ago. Yes BAG is going to let the manufacturing stay in sweden but it is now an Asian owned company. and for anyone who may think that i sound bigotted i have absolutly no problems with Asian manufacturers , in fact i just purchased a 2011 yota sienna which is about the nicest minivan i have ever been in, but i digress. Either way i will be very surprised if volvo's quality will remain because BAG is not known for quality like their Japanese or even Korean counterparts.

Volvo could be going downhill like ^^ said. Japanese cars are great don't get me wrong but quality... yeah not really at all. Shame, I am glad this did not happen to Saab, as it almost did.

By the way T9 I drove my first "new" generation 9-3 the other day. A 9-3 arc, 2003-4 can't remember, it was interesting. The 210 hp engine did not feel as lively as the Saab engines I am used to. Gearbox felt a little stiffer as well. I could certainly feel the GM influence. I know that my 900 is considered GM, but it is still a Saab engine, the last of it's kind (the 2.3L and the 2.0 T5). The saab did look amazing though, ill give the new gen 9-3's credit there.

I hope that the 9-1 has the old (but new of course) 2.3L engine from the viggen or even the 9000 aero's. Those engines are truely lively and with technology now, could easily make 250hp stock. Just a thought!

Hi Aikmanson, agree with you on all points there! What Saab really need is an absolute barn stormer of a model to shake off "the old man old school image"! Don't get me wrong! Saabs are absolutely marvellous, and they should carry on doing what they do best?

But I feel they need to make a "bad boy take no prisoners all singing all dancing car" still limit it to 2 litres for the PC out there, but with power and performance to have a BMW M5 owner looking over his shoulder!
They are more than capable of achieving this, and that would be truly something to behold! :bigsmile:

Agreed T9. Currently Saab is only producing 210HP out of their 2.0T. We all know Saab can and has pushed more out of these engines before, so do it and make it fit for PRODUCTION. Saab are innovators of turbo design, I am pretty sure they can hit the 400HP mark if they fooled around a bit on a 2.0T. I am sure you know tuner friends T9 that have taken T5 engines and pushed them beyond 400hp, I know I have some.

Were all waiting...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back