The importance of tyre tread depth

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
It is vital that you know the condition of your tyres and the tread depth especially so when there are wet conditions.
As a general rule a new passenger tyre has to displace app 10 litres per second at highway speeds and the tyres ability to do this decreases as wear takes place so in heavy rain a worn but still legal depth tyre will be unable to displace the same amount/volume of water as when new needed to maintain full contact as wedge of water will build up in the front of the tyre and may/will depending on speed and the amount of water on the road surface lift the tyre completely off the tarmac where the driver will have no control and become a passenger .This is called aquaplaning and the driver must lower the speed to regain control.

This can still happen with new tyres depending on speed and conditions.

All tyres are round and black BUT there can be a wide variation in grip,levels due to Treadwear rating as the lower the number the better the grip but won't last as long as a higher TW rated tyre that will last longer but will generally have less grip along with.the tread pattern which also plays a major part as well and the better known brands will generally perform better than a cheap/budget priced tyre made in some 3rd world country

Last edited:
Compound and construction make a huge difference to both handling/grip and braking ability. I'd rather drive on a set of Michelin's with 5mm tread than a set of brand new Linglongs !!!

Compound and construction make a huge difference to both handling/grip and braking ability. I'd rather drive on a set of Michelin's with 5mm tread than a set of brand new Linglongs !!!

Agree totally but sadly too many buy tyres based on the cheapest price and give little thought to quality and unknowingly their own and others safety.

I have seen the results of brake testing and was astounded at the extra distance the "Linglongs" needed to stop.:sad2:

Budget tyres have their place.

I use a little VW Fox for delivering parcels for Hermes two days a week. I have to drive along some unmade roads which are bumpy and potholed. I am not prepared to pay for premium tyres that are going to be destroyed relatively quickly so fit budget ones. I know their limitiations so drive accordingly.

in the van i just use what are cheapest or even part worns i dont drive it fast or in any other manner than pottering around from A to B
but when it comes to the gt4 which i have just booked in for 4 new goodyear eagle f1s im not taking any chances with rubbish/ part worns

You 2 are switched on about tyres but I think that most who buy Linglongs or similar are nowhere as clued up .

You 2 are switched on about tyres but I think that most who buy Linglongs or similar are nowhere as clued up .

The vasy majority of driver's are in the blissful ignorant place when it comes to tyres.

I'm to polar opposite - close to neurotic about the things.

It's always sad when you see a very very well presented 5 year old Audi S6, for example, and then notice that it's wearing budget tyres. Quite apart from the obvious safety implications, it's a waste of a nice car. Kind of like wearing a Giogro Armani suit with a set of Asda trainers on your feet !!!

To add to the original post, age can make a difference too. I changed the Bridgestones on the Focus when they were still 5mm, but they were 6 years old and simply didn't grip as well as when they were newer. I guess the rubber hardens over time?

I tend to change mine once they get to under 3mm anyway as I can tell they're just not as good in very wet conditions.

I've found the BF Goodrich tyres, a midrange brand, that I bought not long back to be very good for the price, both dry and wet grip. I've not tested the limits of their adhesion at 200% helmsmith mode, as I just pootle down the A45 to work and back but on the rare occasions that it's quiet and I can sail through the roundabouts or I've had to brake hard due to blind idiots they've gripped very well.