The Highway code, stay up to date.

And I thought the national speed limit was like an autobhan!

Good find loz, nice timely reminder and I'll spend a bit of time on there.

If anyone finds something new to them then flag it up for us all.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860
Parking:- 239
•do not park facing against the traffic flow

I see some local authorities are enforcing this one so don't get caught out, not a new rule just a commonly ignored one.

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h). - how many of us do this?

Last edited:
how many vehicles have a parking light ? my beamer dont, tho my 53 focus did ? wot u supposed to do then ? leave ur lights on and then flatten the battery and then breakdown ?

find that this is quiet interesting as both concern crossings with centre islands but treated differently:
"A zebra crossing with a central island is two separate crossings (see Rule 20)."
"Pelican crossings which go straight across the road are one crossing, even when there is a central island. You MUST wait for pedestrians who are crossing from the other side of the island."
Surely they should have simliar rules for each to stop confusion.

in general makes interesting reading - was about 16years since have even looked at this but some points are clearly ambiguous, i.e.: "You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary. [Law CUR reg 106]." So who determines how far is necessary?

Last edited:
find that this is quiet interesting as both concern crossings with centre islands but treated differently:
"A zebra crossing with a central island is two separate crossings (see Rule 20)."
"Pelican crossings which go straight across the road are one crossing, even when there is a central island. You MUST wait for pedestrians who are crossing from the other side of the island."
Surely they should have simliar rules for each to stop confusion.

in general makes interesting reading - was about 16years since have even looked at this but some points are clearly ambiguous, i.e.: "You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary. [Law CUR reg 106]." So who determines how far is necessary?

and how is it enforced ? police get a measuring tape out lol

They just do you for driving without due care and attention.

I was taught that you reverse for the minimum amount required in order to make a forward manoever.

They just do you for driving without due care and attention.

I was taught that you reverse for the minimum amount required in order to make a forward manoever.

well thats just bang out of order, most people only reverse when they have to, so i think its a stupid rule.
will have a good look through it and see what else i think is irrelevant. been over ten years since i last looked at.

but....

a friend is studying for his theory test, got the pc-rom you can pick up. i had a go and i passed first time, theory and hazard perception. was well pleased.

That's how it should be. I bet there are a lot who couldn't pass again!

didnt have hazard perception when i done my theory so it was new for me. did u have a theory to do when you done ur test waynne ? do you think you could pass it now ?
going to start a thread i think on who thinks they could pass the new theory test..

No theory and no hazard perception. The examiner held up some flash cards with various road signs and road markings etc to test me.

It was a lot easier in a horse and cart, the horse would tend to know what it's doing.

Buy and read Roadcraft - it's the official police driving manual. It does not deal with blue light response driving but the entire tome works very well.

The system of car control is perfect as a starting point. Of course, we will all develop our own refinements and approaches to some situations. This is the added 'sparkle' or flair that Police examiners will look for when assessing a candidate,

You must live in a very Law-abiding place!!!:D
I often see drivers reversing for quite some distance when common sense should dictate going forward to the next junction to turn. What about doing a J turn? when you do not need defensive driving?I hope that you were being flippant or perhaps looking to offer an informant piece of advise when you state you will look to see what YOU think is irrelevent!!:confused:
YES, we are in agreement that the HC needs updating BUT...whatever Rules and Laws are in it there are supposed to be obeyed. I do not believe that any of us do so for all of them (speeding being most obvious violation/s) but you run the possible risk (as always) of getting caught ignoring the 'irrelevance' that is in your mind. Some drivers seem to believe that because there are NO road signs for a speed limit THEY can drive at a speed they choose, instead of the 30mph that it is!!
The written as well as the spoken word can often lead to misinterpretation/s of the originators intent. I do not wish to deliberately offend ANYONE!!:embarrest:
well thats just bang out of order, most people only reverse when they have to, so i think its a stupid rule.
will have a good look through it and see what else i think is irrelevant. been over ten years since i last looked at.

but....

a friend is studying for his theory test, got the pc-rom you can pick up. i had a go and i passed first time, theory and hazard perception. was well pleased.

I was amused by this:amuse:
It reminded me of an incident when I was an ADI
I had a pupil on a rather unique road. There is in Leeds a Dual carrioageway which has a couple of side roads into the estate AND another road which is nearer to houses but still has a large grass area to them.
Possibly we were doing hillstarts but, whatever.
We were approaching a marked junction with the markings for give way on the road which intersected ours.
As we approached a horse & cart was coming toward us from the right. I indicated to my pupil to be cautious. Though the 'driver' of the cart should have pulled up the horse/pony had other ideas and just kept going.
This also reminds me of a tale told of the horse & cart deliveries made locally by Tetleys Beer carts.
A friend was in their Depot when a cart pulled in. The driver immediately fell off the cart, apparently dead!!
God whats happened?
Oh... It's Ok he's just drunk! (deliverymen could imbibe a pint at each call!!!!)
But how has he got back?
The horse knows the way:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:
No theory and no hazard perception. The examiner held up some flash cards with various road signs and road markings etc to test me.

It was a lot easier in a horse and cart, the horse would tend to know what it's doing.

highway code ?yeah i have to read it every time there is a new edition-driving instructor(me talk,you listen)
anyone know the diff between a puffin and a toucan crossing ?

:embarrest: Frankly....... NO!
AS a driver I treat each crossing in a similar way, that is slowing down or being ready to stop to allow peds to cross. Obviously, where there are lights you SHOULD obey the colour as at traffic lights. Unfortunately, many drivers as well as pedestrians dont do so:sad2:
Crossing as a ped could get you injured or killed if you dont look properly!! (PEX):blink:
HOWEVER..... It is quite easy to find out that there are 5 distinct types of crossing, with 2 sub categories!
I looked it up on Google.
I dont know IF or HOW I might be able to insert documentation from another source into here so if you want to you can look it up yourself/ves (Help Waynne????)
One section amused me and made me think too.
Apparently, cyclists are not allowed to cross the road on a Zebra and 2 other types:confused::confused:
DO cyclists know that?
They quite often do not stop at Traffic Lights
Can they cross if they dismount and walk the bike over then?
Another respondee for another thread has asked"who makes up these rules/Laws":p
It would seem (as usual) someone without much nonce:sad2::amazed::lol:
highway code ?yeah i have to read it every time there is a new edition-driving instructor(me talk,you listen)
anyone know the diff between a puffin and a toucan crossing ?

[Law RTA 1988 sect 4]

Before setting off. You should ensure that
  • you have planned your route and allowed sufficient time
  • clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner
  • you know where all the controls are and how to use them before you need them. Not all vehicles are the same; do not wait until it is too late to find out
  • your mirrors and seat are adjusted correctly to ensure comfort, full control and maximum vision
  • head restraints are properly adjusted to reduce the risk of neck and spine injuries in the event of a collision
  • you have sufficient fuel before commencing your journey, especially if it includes motorway driving. It can be dangerous to lose power when driving in traffic
  • ensure your vehicle is legal and roadworthy
  • switch off your mobile phone

Never noticed that before?

[Law RTA 1988 sect 4]

Before setting off. You should ensure that
  • you have planned your route and allowed sufficient time
  • clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner
  • you know where all the controls are and how to use them before you need them. Not all vehicles are the same; do not wait until it is too late to find out
  • your mirrors and seat are adjusted correctly to ensure comfort, full control and maximum vision
  • head restraints are properly adjusted to reduce the risk of neck and spine injuries in the event of a collision
  • you have sufficient fuel before commencing your journey, especially if it includes motorway driving. It can be dangerous to lose power when driving in traffic
  • ensure your vehicle is legal and roadworthy
  • switch off your mobile phone
Never noticed that before?

I understood the law was do not use when driving i.e. don't make a call don't take a call unless on handsfree and don't send or read a text. Is the switch off and advisory part of the code or is it enshirned in law If so how could that be enforced !!!

I hadn't spotted this. Still seeing loads of people flouting the law using held held phones and a lot of "normal everyday folk" as well as the Merc and BMW drivers in Cabriolets.

Most business users are aux fait with handsfree kits and seem to use them.

I hadn't spotted this. Still seeing loads of people flouting the law using held held phones and a lot of "normal everyday folk" as well as the Merc and BMW drivers in Cabriolets.

Most business users are aux fait with handsfree kits and seem to use them.

You're right Waynne, people don't seem to have got this one yet If you say to somebody would you drive without a seat belt the answer is course not it's dangerous and illegal try that with why are you using a phone then very blank look is all you get.

Hi All!
This happened the other day and I wondered if anyone else had experience of it?
I have a(portable) small tracker in the car.
It works by sending a reply to a mobile call and the message gives Lat & Long co-ordinates as well as battery strength AND a map with positional reference.
HOWEVER...... I wondered if my wife had decided to call in to her dad after shopping in Leeds My call couldn't be recieved!
When she did come home later this was mentioned and when I indicated about what time I tried to get her position she suggested that she might have been in Morrisons underground level car park!!??
I know this unit is small and inexpensive.
SO....... Has anyone else had this reaction from a tracking device?
If so then the next time I nick a Ferrarri I'll leave it in a multi-storey till I'm ready to get rid (Joking)

Hi All!
This happened the other day and I wondered if anyone else had experience of it?
I have a(portable) small tracker in the car.
It works by sending a reply to a mobile call and the message gives Lat & Long co-ordinates as well as battery strength AND a map with positional reference.
HOWEVER...... I wondered if my wife had decided to call in to her dad after shopping in Leeds My call couldn't be recieved!
When she did come home later this was mentioned and when I indicated about what time I tried to get her position she suggested that she might have been in Morrisons underground level car park!!??
I know this unit is small and inexpensive.
SO....... Has anyone else had this reaction from a tracking device?
If so then the next time I nick a Ferrarri I'll leave it in a multi-storey till I'm ready to get rid (Joking)

Sounds a little bit too: "Enemy of the State" to me! :)

police are stopping cars down my way and issuing £30 fixed penalty notices for people driving cars with snow on the roofs, just be advised peeps that it is the HC that you cant do this so BEWARE !!!