the gto is finally running right, also have a uprated intercooler question

gto400

Car
mitsubishi gto tt
hi all, the gto twin turbo is finally running right, some of you may recall my gto was misfireing under load and being a real pain, after new coil,plugs,leads,fuel filters,ecu,boost leaks, after all that was replaced or checked it was still doing the same thing, but after a suggestion and a big thanks to tcjboldie i finally cured the problem, it was water/condensation in the fuel tank, 3 bottles of a product called dry fuel and 2 tanks of fuel later its now ok, so with the mods its got hks exhaust/decatted/hks boost controller 1.2 bar boost/hks fcd/hks filters/stage 2 clutch ect, but its now getting just a little bit tame and i fancy a few more mods, i just wondered if anyone has any experience with the universal front mounted intercoolers on ebay and the pipes, are thay alot of hassle to weld and fabricate, as the genuine fmic are alot of money compared to the £200 ones off ebay, and with the gto beating a ac cobra yesterday its happy days, just want more and more:p

Like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.

Intercooler cores vary in their capacity to remove heat from the compressed air. The better the core the cooler the air exiting them. But better = more expensive. For example, my intercooler is around 600mm x 150mm x 60mm and the bare core was £300 on its own.

Also take into account that the longer the distance from compressor to plenum and the greater the volume of air in the system the greater the turbo lag will be. This can easily outweigh the possible increase in power gained by extra cooling of the charge.

Last edited:
thanks for the replys, have been looking into this fmic abit more but it seems the only real gain with a fmic is with big bhp, and that the standard gto intercoolers dont do too bad of a job with the standard turbos, v8 in the cobra, i should imagine a rover or possibly a chevy 5.7, def not a 427 :toung:, but after a burn up with a bike today im thinking brakes may be the next thing to look at, its got drilled disks but has anyone on here had any experience with the red or green stuff pads, as there not cheap for pads but just wondering if there worthwile,

Have had Reds and now have Bendix Ultimate pads and they are cheaper but seem as good at the track.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back