The generation game

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Just wondering, Do cars get better with each new generation? Or is it a hit and miss I mean which is better all-round, a 20 year old Porsche 944 turbo or a last generation 200sx turbo or a 5 year old clio 172 for example. I know they are different beasts but do things get better for the driver or not? I know newer cars are much heavier but also have a lot of aids to help the driver.....Any ideas

Newer cars are getting worse and worse. Mostly all ugly euroboxes that look and drive simular. Cars are sharing chassis, engines and parts more than ever before. Just look at the VAG group, about 10 different models but only actually 3 different cars. Sucks to be new.

Just look at the character and appeal some of the cars from the 90's have. Abarth's hit the spot with the 500 imo, but apart from that there isn't one new car I really want in the way that you can want an Integrale or 205 GTI for example.

i was thinking of the 205 when I wrote the question, but then the 106 is very under rated alternative? I ask as the big kid in me want's a 944 s2 or possibly turbo but needs an escuse not to take the plunge, if that makes sense

Generally where models are evolved they are better. I am wary of new models though as these often have teething problems. Remember when Vauxhall released the Frontera for example, the early ones were dogged with problems and issues.

Catalysts and emission controls plus extra reinforcements adding weight will all sap a cars performance but generally I think newer cars will turn out being more reliable than older ones.

The aircooled Porsches are still hailed as "the last real Porsche" by die hard fans. I would say that Porsche have good build quality and probably make the cheapest to run and most reliable supercars around.

Newer cars are getting worse and worse. Mostly all ugly euroboxes that look and drive simular. Cars are sharing chassis, engines and parts more than ever before. Just look at the VAG group, about 10 different models but only actually 3 different cars. Sucks to be new.

Just look at the character and appeal some of the cars from the 90's have. Abarth's hit the spot with the 500 imo, but apart from that there isn't one new car I really want in the way that you can want an Integrale or 205 GTI for example.

You have a car that has got better and better over time. ;)

agree, it seems that the 'passion' has gone from most car manufacturers. how i would love an Integrale - anyone have a cheap one?

Im with MA on the looks of the cars. This is due to the saftey issues. Crumple zones and all the rest. Id never buy a french car for this reason. Cant stand how Renult or Pugs look.

But I will say this.

Cost of a new small hatchback in the early 90's - £10000

Half decent anulal wage in the early 90's - 15K

Cost of a new small hatchback now - £10000

Half decent wage now - 30k

And the technology in the newer cars is far greater than what there was in cars 20 years ago, you could only expect that type of technology in the top end Mercs and BM's

you cant beat old cars, they were built when car companies were competing against each other

today the technoligy is better, but the cars are thrown together with plastic

Dunno about better. They might be safer, more more well-equipped but does that automatically mean better? In terms of driving experience then no, not necessarily. So many cars today are completely insulated from the road, no feedback. They're easy to drive but not rewarding.

Also gone are the days when cars from different manufacturers actually looked different - now they really do start to blend into one.