The Diesel haters

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Did anyone see Dispatches last night? More anti Diesel rhetoric.

They don't like the NOx and particulates but current policies have pushed more people into buying diesel cars.

What is the answer? If petrol engines were super efficient I'd switch back straight away.

Do you think the car tax system will be changed to penalise diesel owners? Would more fuel duty push diesel owners back into petrol cars? Will particulate filters help solve the issue and ever be efficient enough?

No, didn't see it. So how would the companies get on running petrol buses, lorries and trains? They are the ones ramping up the graphs more so than cars. We couldn't live with hiked up prices for public services and day to day living as everything would go up to cover the costs. People will stick to diesel purely because it is the pump price and mpg they see first, the running costs and tax being spread over 12 months will be ignored and seen as another debit from our account. Fuel is seen probably by most as a weekly consumable cost from the 'living account'.

Selective catalytic reduction along with the now de rigeur particulate filters seems to have the situation well in hand.

My fathers new Audi A6 rolled up Friday and this to his surprise has a DeNOx catalyst and a tank of AdBlue next to the normal filler neck. I had to explain what it was all about!

Selective Catalytic reduction Rob. It's not a new technology, has been used in industrial furnaces for years and is commonly found in many HGVs for several years. AdBlue is an ammonium/water mix which allows a 3 way regulated cat to be used downstream of both the preliminary two way unregulated cat and the now de rigeur DPF.

Hope your Dad likes the car, there's not a lot bad can be said of the A6.

Note: The AdBlue additive is not remotely similar to the cerium based additives used in 1st generation DPF systems.

Note to all: DO NOT POUR ADBLUE into the fuel tank.

Yeah I'm familiar with the technology... Dad's just never heard of it and I got a confused phone-call along the lines of "why does my new car have two tanks". lol

I think he's pretty happy with the car thus far. He had a 2012 A6 before it, the primary reason for his change was they've now started shipping the 2.0TDI (since the 2014 facelift) with the DL501 DSG twin-clutch 7speed transmission instead of the god-awful 8speed CVT in the previous model. His only complaint is it feels flat, but then his previous A6 had Engine and Gearbox maps on it... something which will be solved on Saturday as he's asked me about it every day since collecting!

Yep, mapping to suit the driver's preferences will always help.

It will feel flat, all new cars do until a few tens of thousand miles have been covered. You know this, I'm just posting for the benefit of anyone else who delves into this thread. So I will add that remapping a brand new car is also not harmful.

Running in is best done firmly and progressively. Once warmed up get the car into a high gear and load it up with heavy loads at low revs. Get those piston rings burnished against the cross hatch patterns on the cylinder bores ASAP. This can (should) be done right away, within the first fifty miles if possible. Mix it up with increased revs and varying loads. Heading towards red line is good too but back off the pedal as you approach.

Let it cool before switching off engine.

Then go do the same again. (And again etc).

Wish my Dad had your Dad's attitude :)

Wish my Dad had your Dad's attitude :)

hehe - He was forced into mapping kicking and screaming. The first I was allowed to touch was a Freelander many years back and now he's hooked. The cars coming in Saturday, will have tripped just over 1000 miles by then.

I'm not surprised he's hooked. There's really no downside to remapping a diesel as long as you respect the hardware limits like clutch and turbo.

Thread hijack sorry.

Rob can you remap the newest Vauxhall 2.0CDTI 165bhp engines? There doesn't seem to be any remappers who can out there judging by a quick google.

I'm not surprised he's hooked. There's really no downside to remapping a diesel as long as you respect the hardware limits like clutch and turbo.

Thread hijack sorry.

Rob can you remap the newest Vauxhall 2.0CDTI 165bhp engines? There doesn't seem to be any remappers who can out there judging by a quick google.

There are loads of people doing the 165 bhp diesel Vaux engine. The maps for them have been around for a few years now.

Most of the newer Vauxhall CDTI engines use a Bosch EDC17C19 ECU, which can certainly be mapped - the ECU just needs to be removed to be done (can't be done OBD) but it's not a problem. I've done a fair few of these in the Insignia.