The BlkSilverRedXD project - 2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L DOHC A/T

Car
2003 Elantra GLS
Project number 1: INTAKE
CONE/POD FILTER TUBING & AIR BOX BUILD

Plan:
build new intake tubing/piping system.

build an air box for the filter. Might explore forced air induction into the air box as well

build inlet tubing system to channel air into the air box via velocity (while the car is driving) at the front of the car, either behind the grill or into the bumper under the grill.

make throttle body spacer

next project: exhaust and engine/spark

UPDATE:
the car went back to a stock box, but with a twist....

the pod/cone is in the box to avoid heat soak and to feed it pressurized air.

The accordian-type hosing from the throttle body replaced with str8 piping to the box.

snorkel back at the front of the car behind the grill and attached to duct work going around the radiator, straight past the battery on the left, and into the air box.

I had to cut a hole in the air box for the tube to attach it to. cut the distance from snorkel to air box down to 14" and the length of the duct work (no air reservoir under the battery).

will insulate the tubing from the box to the snorkel and find a way to get more air into the box.

what do I use to upload pics? can they be uploaded from the computer, or do I get a pic hosting account?

Last edited:
You can use photobucket or at bottom of post message block thingy '' Go advanced '' then at bottom of that '' ''Manage attachments '' and Bob's your uncle.

here's the air intake prototype
took the ribbed neck out and made it straight 3" tubing. put the stock box back in with some mods. Filter is NOT what you think.

Its a pressurized airbox for the 3" tall CONE filter. for pod/cone filters to work, YOU NEED PRESSURIZED AIR .

Tubing runs from the box (ideally should've been from the bottom half) and is double-wall insulated. then elbow and vent duct around the radiator to the end sitting right behind the grill. will replace the vent duct with 3" piping after testing is done.

Results so far: don't know about HP, but the throttle response is better, acceleration is better, and the tubing isn't hot like before. drove it through rainfall with no ill effects. The original snorkel base has fabric-like material inside it to absorb moisture, so if you're concerned about any moisture sucking into the intake, that section can be taken off the original unit and used somewhere up front, IMO.

Attachments

• ntake.jpg
    ntake.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
nice job , i also moving out rezonant bok on intake and fiksed this with power tape,rezonant box in my getz is before airbox near left whell

same as mine. that box is completely out. only the intake tubing as shown in the picture remains. I will replace the vent tubing that is going around the radiator with something else that is more sturdy. I have definitely controlled the intake's heat soak issues with this system.

UPDATE: The end of the system that sat behind the grille has been moved below the grille under the front bumper's license plate area. Reason: TOO MUCH WATER settling in the neck of the tubing that goes around the radiator. Also the angle to bend the tube to face the back of the grille was too sharp and so the flow of air was being choked. since being moved, throttle response after the car has been running for a while has IMPROVED. Still need to make a throttle body spacer (honestly kept forgetting).

NEXT: EXHAUST MOD 1: Muffler & Cats

Last edited:
Well done BlkSilverRedXD,nice to see you doing something different and i wish you all the best and do keep us updated with all your projects so that we can also learn something.

Hello, and I apologise for resurrecting this thread.
That intake has been modified. No more laundry hose ;). replaced with 3" piping to "nyam" air smack-dab from the front of the car.

Found a slightly damaged body kit at 1/6 the original cost. For less than $100 I repaired, modified, and painted it, and it is on the car now. Slightly more dramatic look. One customer said it looked more "aggressive".

Up next: Exhaust work.

2.5" exhaust pipe, new resonator & muffler installed.

Found out engine needs to be rebuilt soon, and its close to 160,000 miles. thinking of a swap to a tib 2.0 then supercharging it, or a sonata v6.

Opinions?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back