The best decade for cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think was the best decade for cars? This is nice and open and up to you to decide what "best" relates to.

I'm kinda split. I LOVE lightweight small hatchbacks, but they're a rarity here in the states. I Love the challenge of taking an economy-minded sedate little hatch and making it into a hot hatch frankenstein. THAT'S what appeals to me. So of course the most economy-minded basic vehicles appeal to me, like these:

Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift (1989-2001). These cars are running jokes here due to how slow they are. A common prank is to pick the cars up and carry them somewhere else due to their lightweight. At the same time, these 1.0L 3 cylinder cars (1995-2001 models had an optional SOHC 1.3L 4 cylinder) are highly sought after for the high fuel efficiency (which has been known to be as high as 50 MPG in the USA (That's about 60 MPG in the UK). Being related to the Suzuki Swift, the high revving 1.3L Twin Cam drops right in and makes these things amazingly quick.
30367920002_large.jpg

Chevrolet Aveo (2004-2011). Another running joke in America. No doubt about it, these are terrible cars. Slow, a pain to work on, cheap to buy and cheap feeling, but surprisingly well-built (build quality is higher than either my Z34 or my Saturn), these cars are much-hated in the USA but do have a small fan-base. The only engine in America was a 1.6L E-tech with 103 or 107 HP (depending on year). Not much aftermarket support over here for the engine. The 2.0L from the Suzuki Reno and Suzuki Forenza (sold in the UK as the Chevrolet Lacetti) drops right in and can even run off the same computer (although it will run lean). 2.0L swaps seem common in the community, but more outlandish swaps have been done, like the car pictured below. It has a 2.0L LSJ supercharged Ecotec swapped in from a Chevy Cobalt, but the engine's been bumped from 200 to 300 HP. All in a car that weighs 2,300 lbs. The car below was actually commissioned by GM to test the feasibility of offering an Ecotec swap kit from GM Performance Parts to force the aftermarket to look at the Aveo. Obviously, the idea was scrapped, but the car was made. My dream is to take one of these and swap in a custom monster-mutt high-revving ecotec 180 HP 2.0L.
n1114473624_30147987_4776.jpg

sstp_0808_10_z+2007_chevy_aveo+ecotec_engine_bay.jpg

So that in mind, for me, it;s the 90's and 2000's. there hasn't been a small hatchback so light and capable since.The lightest hatchbacks here currently are the Mazda 2/Ford Fiesta and Toyota Yaris. Everything else is too heavy to entice me... though the Chevrolet Sonic is easy to get more power from with the factory 1.4L Turbo.

Last edited:
90's by far, skylines, MR2's, Mitsu GTO's, Sylvias, 200sx, 300Zx, Preludes, Supra's etc...there is no contest.

If you were just looking at japanese cars then the 90s is probably right although the 32 gtr actually came out in the late eighties

However even I wouldnt judge it like that , There were some pretty impressive british cars in the 60s and 70s so I might be more inclined to go for one of those

There's quite a few european cars I like too just not sure when they were made exactly, and too lazy to check.

for me; 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo 2, i repowered with a modded 94 rotary with BIG turbo, car was insane to drive, wheel HP came at 480whp, not for amatur drivers.

also had a 1982 camaro, with 7.4L V8, also modded,HD trans. and LSD rear. Yeah, it was out of control most of the time.

so now i'v grown up(i think), and have a Jag V12 modded engine also.

cant really remember all my fast cars, Damn started 60yrs ago, gimme a break!!

i do think you can become addicted to speed tho!

for me; 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo 2, i repowered with a modded 94 rotary with BIG turbo, car was insane to drive, wheel HP came at 480whp, not for amatur drivers.

also had a 1982 camaro, with 7.4L V8, also modded,HD trans. and LSD rear. Yeah, it was out of control most of the time.

so now i'v grown up(i think), and have a Jag V12 modded engine also.

cant really remember all my fast cars, Damn started 60yrs ago, gimme a break!!

i do think you can become addicted to speed tho!

That Camaro was heavily modified. That year, the largest engine was a 5.0L 305 cubic inch V8

i can not remember any vehicle i have ever owned that i did NOT make some type of change to it.

even my wifes car has a cold air inlet system, also my motor home ,got a K&N filter,with some extra air holes in casing.

all this foolishness started in 1949, with my 1st car,1934 Ford V8 roadster. i was 15yrs old,and did not know much about things, but jumped in anyway, been a great ride thru time.

90's by far, skylines, MR2's, Mitsu GTO's, Sylvias, 200sx, 300Zx, Preludes, Supra's etc...there is no contest.

More to cars than Performance. Give me a 1936 Morris 8 over any of the cars above. Best is very subjective I love 1930's cars it dates back to my Dad owning them. Also have a couple of favourites 1949 3.5 Jaguar & a Merc 300SL of 1955 both from my youth.

Dunno really. Nostalgia plays a part for many of us I expect but I wouldn't fancy driving anything now without a full complement of all-round airbags, belt tensioners, force limiters, impact bars, crumple zones etc.

i agree HDI fun, new vehicles are lightyears ahead of anything older than say,2005, of course i'm talking about long distance driving in complete comfort,and just general auto use.

back 4 weeks made a 5000mile trip, in a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, 4dr sedan, it was quiet,smooth, economical, handled amazing, brakes fantastic. it did everything i would need in a car, BIG trunk(boot), i was very pleased with the vehicle.

after the trip i sat down and calculated fuel consumption, 33.2 USA MPG, for the complete trip(dont know what in IMP gallon.)

two adults, and two dogs,and bunch of luggage, averaging tripmeter 62 mph, but traveled many thousands at over 80-90mph, couple times up to 120mph, HEY 4 cylinder engines have come a long way,2.4L N/A, did i mention quiet,smooth,etc.

4 cylinder motors have become very good indeed of late. I still prefer the idea of 5 or more simply for overlapping torque delivery but that's a personal thing. Most of my motoring life has been with four cylinder cars

talk about overlaping torque , my V12 cylinder Jaguar roadster is super smooth!

Attachments

• jag rodstr 016.jpg
    jag rodstr 016.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4
  • R1-07368-024A.jpg
    R1-07368-024A.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4
50,60 and 70's the best by far you only needed half a dozen spanners a hammer and a pair of pliers you could do anything. Now you need 12 degrees in electronics.

suzsx whatcha gonna do when government outlaws repairing your personal vehicle at home, it has to go to a government appointed facility for repair and inspection.

big brother is getting bigger.

waynne, rereading your post, best decade cars! YIKES thats a tough one to answer.

hdi makes sense, about it being a nostalgia thing.

suxsx is correct in wanting to do his own work!

twin cams is much younger than me, but he is in the japanese car(fast & furious) mind set.

to be logical or realistic, 2010 and onward will be the best all around cars, BUT i have been saying that for close to 10yrs, so go figure?

DAMIFINO

OK, how much better can personal cars get, especially for a daily transportation vehicle??

maybe 75-100mpg, carry 4 adults in comfort,with room for luggage, capable of at least 120mph for passing ability on USA interstate travel, and of course all the anemities,air bags, ABS, stability control systems,ETC.

wait up; we got all that already,except the MPG thing.

waynne, rereading your post, best decade cars! YIKES thats a tough one to answer.

hdi makes sense, about it being a nostalgia thing.

suxsx is correct in wanting to do his own work!

twin cams is much younger than me, but he is in the japanese car(fast & furious) mind set.

to be logical or realistic, 2010 and onward will be the best all around cars, BUT i have been saying that for close to 10yrs, so go figure?

DAMIFINO
Don't insult me sir. I prefer AMERICAN Sport compacts, which you'd know if you read the build thread on my customized SATURN.

The Geo Metro and Chevy Aveo are considered American by me due to the badging. Geo was a subdivision of Chevrolet, who are historically AMERICAN (even if the company has French roots).

Yes, I like small 4 cylinder hatchbacks, but DO NOT classify me with those fast and furious nutjobs who stick a huge wing on the back of a Honda Civic and think it adds 20 horsepower.

Never said there was. There are many Japanese cars I like, but not many I feel PASSIONATE about.
But I was more insulted by the insinuation that I'm of the fast and furious mindset

I'm kinda split. I LOVE lightweight small hatchbacks, but they're a rarity here in the states. I Love the challenge of taking an economy-minded sedate little hatch and making it into a hot hatch frankenstein. THAT'S what appeals to me. So of course the most economy-minded basic vehicles appeal to me, like these:

Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift (1989-2001). These cars are running jokes here due to how slow they are. A common prank is to pick the cars up and carry them somewhere else due to their lightweight. At the same time, these 1.0L 3 cylinder cars (1995-2001 models had an optional SOHC 1.3L 4 cylinder) are highly sought after for the high fuel efficiency (which has been known to be as high as 50 MPG in the USA (That's about 60 MPG in the UK). Being related to the Suzuki Swift, the high revving 1.3L Twin Cam drops right in and makes these things amazingly quick.
30367920002_large.jpg

Chevrolet Aveo (2004-2011). Another running joke in America. No doubt about it, these are terrible cars. Slow, a pain to work on, cheap to buy and cheap feeling, but surprisingly well-built (build quality is higher than either my Z34 or my Saturn), these cars are much-hated in the USA but do have a small fan-base. The only engine in America was a 1.6L E-tech with 103 or 107 HP (depending on year). Not much aftermarket support over here for the engine. The 2.0L from the Suzuki Reno and Suzuki Forenza (sold in the UK as the Chevrolet Lacetti) drops right in and can even run off the same computer (although it will run lean). 2.0L swaps seem common in the community, but more outlandish swaps have been done, like the car pictured below. It has a 2.0L LSJ supercharged Ecotec swapped in from a Chevy Cobalt, but the engine's been bumped from 200 to 300 HP. All in a car that weighs 2,300 lbs. The car below was actually commissioned by GM to test the feasibility of offering an Ecotec swap kit from GM Performance Parts to force the aftermarket to look at the Aveo. Obviously, the idea was scrapped, but the car was made. My dream is to take one of these and swap in a custom monster-mutt high-revving ecotec 180 HP 2.0L.
n1114473624_30147987_4776.jpg

sstp_0808_10_z+2007_chevy_aveo+ecotec_engine_bay.jpg

So that in mind, for me, it;s the 90's and 2000's. there hasn't been a small hatchback so light and capable since.The lightest hatchbacks here currently are the Mazda 2/Ford Fiesta and Toyota Yaris. Everything else is too heavy to entice me... though the Chevrolet Sonic is easy to get more power from with the factory 1.4L Turbo.

Hi...you seem to have alot of experience in modifying small cars... I have a 2018 mazda 3 hatchback that I want to modify to make my driving experience much more amazing... can you share your knowledge

Things went downhill around 2007 with production quality dropping and cost cutting from even the major luxury brands. I'd go for the 1990's there were some good solid motors released around then.

Depend on your criteria - I would have said the nineties a while back which is when the ECUs came in to its own on road cars (not when they came out )
Recently however Ive had a nastalgia attack and chamged my mind - There is something about having a simple car which doesnt need mapping and has virtually no engine .sensors. Working on them is sooooo easy .
Styling wise I would personally say sixties .
And yes Id still go Japanese - but thats an opinion not a statement .
There were a few handbuilt japanese cars produced which are stunning . You could put next to any european or car and most people couldnt tell the difference .

:lol: to the nostalgia attack, they hit us all from time to time.

I think we all have rosy tints when looking back but I think about all the mornings I had trouble with the carb spluttering to life or the choke not working properly. Remember when car ads used to boast "starts first time", this is a taken for granted now.

I admire Jap cars build quality and design over the years. Our family car was a Datsun for many years and it worked well and looked quite sporty. A 120Y I think!?!?!?!