That Chavy Car Thing......

Jackm123

Car
none.
Okay, so i just read that chavy car thing. Now im looking at buying my first car and all the cars mentiond on there were the ones i was thinking about, mainly becasue there cheap and such.:sad2: So if its not a feista or a "bubble" corsa. What would you recomend that has good styling (internal and external) and tunning potential ?

Thanks for all you replys.

It's not so much what you buy it's what you do to it after, admittedly some cars do have a worse rep than others & insuring them may be costly if your a young driver. But you can make almost any car chavy if you try hard enough! :lol:

By the way, what is "That Chavy Car Thing"? is it a thread or an article some where that I've missed? :confused:

The first car you get generally has to be a bit naff because insurance dictates this. Anything half decent engine wise costs a fortune to insure.

A nice classic like a MK1 Golf driver would look the part and shouldn't be too expensive to insure.

Jap cars tend to cost a lot to insure in the UK so best stick with Ford or Vauxhall then. What about a MK1 Astra, Nova or something with a bit of character?

Just don't stick lots of plastic on it and massive wheels and you'll avoid be labelled a "chav". The smooth Euro look is a good simple look to go for and works well on most of these cars.

I actually like small hatches! And have seen some great looking corsa's, saxo's, 106's (dont get me wrong there have been some terrible one's!) My suggestions would be a small engined mk1 clio or punto both have great styling potential! Also have engines from higher spec models which would go in without much trouble later on;)

I really like small hatches as well, they can be made to look really good with just few subtle mods, my first car was mk2 Fiesta, I stripped everything off of it like the bumpers and trim from the body and dropped it over some XR2 pepperpots

1_lrg.jpg
5njj7k.jpg
Fiat-Punto-12.jpg
rrshopside02.jpg
Vauxhall-Nova-Modified.jpg

I agree with Herb, a Punto would be my choice for a first car they look good and have huge potential, but anything can be done with a small hatch providing you have taste :lol:

And my first car i just want to get used to working on it myself and not relying on other people to fit bits and peices that can be done by me. speciall on the inside of the car ive never seen a car been taken apart and wouldnt know where to start :p of course exterior aswell , before i try it on a more expensive car :)
thanks for the advice though guys :)

had a wee look around on google and found some really nice looking punto's dont know what year or anything they were though, oh and can someone clarify this mk* is it done by year or what ? like parts that will fit a mk1 say is that all between 1990-1999 kinda thing ? or what :) ?

the mk1 punto was from 1993-1999
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Punto
so if your looking for parts for this mk just look for the year or type;)

plus if you do go for a punto we have a resident punto expert (masterauron) who can guide you if you get stuck;)

his punto threads
icon6.gif

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f111/project-gt1600-aka-reaper-7934/

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f111/punto-gt-competizione-11658/

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f111/punto-gt-competizione-part-2-16vt-conversion-16420/

There is an anti-chav movement on this site (with me a fully paid up member) but each to his own. The fact that we are always talking about it means that there must be a lot of chaved cars out there so a lot of people like them.

I believe it is a young persons' style (I doubt that there are many chavs over 30) and is part of the learning process.

Chav is usually cheap and easy to do so the novice can achieve the 'look' without much skill or money (we have all been there) and his/her peers usually approve. As you get older your tastes change and 'mature' and you will probably look back at your earlier efforts with some embarrassment :)

So, pick the car you like/can afford and do what YOU want to do. The only person you have to impress is yourself - and possibly your friends :)

There is an anti-chav movement on this site (with me a fully paid up member) but each to his own. The fact that we are always talking about it means that there must be a lot of chaved cars out there so a lot of people like them.

I believe it is a young persons' style (I doubt that there are many chavs over 30) and is part of the learning process.

Chav is usually cheap and easy to do so the novice can achieve the 'look' without much skill or money (we have all been there) and his/her peers usually approve. As you get older your tastes change and 'mature' and you will probably look back at your earlier efforts with some embarrassment :)

So, pick the car you like/can afford and do what YOU want to do. The only person you have to impress is yourself - and possibly your friends :)

Agreed OG! Not all together sure that making your car look chavy is actually a deliberate act or if it is merely due to the young ones's low earning potential! :sad2:

This does rather limit them "Bless em!" with what they can comfortably afford to buy in the way of performance or styling mods, for their beloved chariot of choice :(

Was the same for me many many years ago now! Fake Fur roof lining, and baking foil wrapped around my aerial on my Capri :embarrest:
It takes a very brave man to admit too this on open forum! :lol:

Let the chronic micky taking commence! :lol:

I agree with og and t9 to a point. All I'd say though is that try and do a good job on it. I'm well aware that loads of people do stuff to cars that makes me want to gouge my own eyeballs out, but what's worse is when they can't even be bothered to do a decent job on it, so there's bits hanging off everywhere.

Polo Coupe G40 supercharged is a good one, but the Polo is a pretty cool car and is VAG so at least it hasn't got bad street cred, then as mentioned above, it's usually down to the driver that chav's them up.

It really depends on what you want to do. Bumpers are very easy to swap over and anything can be un-bolted/screwed. The euro look is quite easy to do... Slam it on some tasty rims.

Jap cars tend to cost a lot to insure in the UK so best stick with Ford or Vauxhall then.

Yeah, Jap cars can be quite expensive to insure, but Korian cars can be increadably cheep. Maybe look for the Hyundai's and that. (I cant believe I am advising this as they are (in my opiniun(before I offend somone)) terrible cars.) But if you only want something for a year to get that magical 1YNCB then go for it. They may break down alot and fall apart, but the bright side is, if you buy one older than 7-8 years, it will not depreciate much in a futher year. And on the plus side, they do, if you squint quite hard, look ok. :confused:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/summary.aspx?model=365&page=4

The 1.3's are only group 8 insurance. And there are quite a few chavi parts you can add onto them.

I'm confuesed.com now. So...... Am I what the chavs aspire to be? Making me like the king chav? As I have never, not once, added any sort of body work kit to any car (as I believe it will damage MPG due to weight and wind resistance and make the car look crap) but I have a car that comes with it all standard?? I have been accused of being a chav, not down to the cloths I were, but the car I drive.

I happily explain to them all that ''what chav could afford such a machine?'' and they usually shut up.

It shocks people sometimes when I step out of my car looking like I do. With a rugby top on, pair of jeins and some flip flops! Most people expect me to have been dragged through the M+M catologue backwards!!!

in no way am i anti-chav. in one way im not botherd what i do to my car i just want to get used to fetteling about on it :). once i can post pictures ill show you some of the style i like and you give your opinions on how best to achive this style :).

I'm confuesed.com now. So...... Am I what the chavs aspire to be? Making me like the king chav? As I have never, not once, added any sort of body work kit to any car (as I believe it will damage MPG due to weight and wind resistance and make the car look crap) but I have a car that comes with it all standard?? I have been accused of being a chav, not down to the cloths I were, but the car I drive.

I happily explain to them all that ''what chav could afford such a machine?'' and they usually shut up.

It shocks people sometimes when I step out of my car looking like I do. With a rugby top on, pair of jeins and some flip flops! Most people expect me to have been dragged through the M+M catologue backwards!!!

Rugby top, no problem! Jeans, still no problem! Flip flops!!! :confused:
we need to talk BBJ :lol:

Rugby top, no problem! Jeans, still no problem! Flip flops!!! :confused:
we need to talk BBJ :lol:

The amount of rugby I pay in wet marsh like feelds is rediculas. If I wear trainers all the time, my feet go soft as and turn to mush. Cos I wear flip flops all year round I got feet like frodo!! I got rino skin for feet!! Don't get me wrong I do wear trainers, boots and shoes from time to time, but sod it. Thats how I roll!!

The amount of rugby I pay in wet marsh like feelds is rediculas. If I wear trainers all the time, my feet go soft as and turn to mush. Cos I wear flip flops all year round I got feet like frodo!! I got rino skin for feet!! Don't get me wrong I do wear trainers, boots and shoes from time to time, but sod it. Thats how I roll!!

;):lol: