Temp and MPG up

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I would say that MPG has gone up at least 2 or 3 mpg in the hot weather for me and this is with me using my air con (a bit!)

Has anyone else noticed this or is it barely showing?

not really noticed anything my motors are not to good on juice any time of the year lol

but did notice the water temp wa up on my landy last night when i looked the rad is covered in mud so that might do it lol

I would say that MPG has gone up at least 2 or 3 mpg in the hot weather for me and this is with me using my air con (a bit!)

Has anyone else noticed this or is it barely showing?

Lucky you! here the mileage drops drastically the hotter it gets, the air con sure saps a lot of power, for example, I get 13 Km per litre(about 8 miles to the litre) with the air con off , in traffic, and about 8KM/litre(5 miles per litre) in traffic, with the Air con on in extremely hot weather.
The same car in moderate weather with the air con on returns 10Km/litre(over 6 miles a litre)

The faster engine warm up time in hot weather is helpful when driving only short journeys.

The A/C compressor will be working harder in hot weather than it will be doing in cold weather conditions.

A/C instllations vary widely, and the cooling capability is generally not directly reflected in the fuel usage. I'm one of those who leaves the A/C active all the time (apart from the Seat, which doesn't have A/C) and I have never found much seasonal variation in fuel consumption.

Since 1997 I've only owned two cars, both with A/C (good systems as well - both would freeze you rigid even when it's over 30 degrees outside) and it doesn't load up the fuel bill in any noticeable way in my experience.

I guess also, hot air is thinner, thus your going to inject less fuel?

I was thinking along the same lines. Less dense air equals less oxygen, therefore it's impossible to inject and burn as much fuel as with nice dense cold air going in.

So why do we worry about global warming then? Clearly Mother Earth has it's own mechanism:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Can't say I do!! ;)

Nor do I. Not that I advocate needless waste of trees and fossil fuels but there's nowhere near enough evidence available yet to convince me.

See where I'm going though. If we drive lots and lots and (let's for now say) this does cause global warming. Well the warmer air will restrict the amount of fuel we can burn. So it's self regulating. :)

TO be truthful, if somebody set out with a £20 million budget to prove that it's OK to carry on burning oil derived fuels at the rate we currently are burning them they'd achieve a positive result. Just as the global warming bunch have managed to 'prove' their point.

But who's going to fund such a project? Not politically correct enough, is it?