Temp and fuel guages do not illuminate

Krewz

Car
Honda Prelude 2.2
Hi!
I have recently bought another Prelude (1991) 2,2VTEC JDM and the Fuel and Temperature gauges do not illuminate. It is low mileage 49K. I was going to buy another set of sub gauges to replace, however, all of the other dash lights and the clock function. Anyone else experienced this problem and if so what is the fix?
Thanks
Krewz

JDM 'J' registration! 2.2 VTEC
I also have a UK spec 94 2.3 94 'M' reg

So, has anyone experienced this problem and got a fix?

It is probably just blown bulbs. I dont suppose you know if they all went at the same time or one after the other? Sometimes it can be a fuse or dodgy wiring. I have never changed the bulbs on these but it is generally a real pain to do in most cars.

welcome to tc mate,its more than likley bulbs because rthe other lights are working,
that unit is all 1, this will be a very tough job for you, as these bulbs are so small and fit behind a load of wires and digital read out gadgets

try if you want. but i rekon if you can get a second hand 1 from a scrapyard, you'll be better off, replacing that is simple, stripping the thing apart is a pain

Waynne,
Thanks for the input, however, it is def not bulbs. The guages on the 4th gen prelude are not illuminated by bulbs. The warning lights are however and they all function. The temperature and fuel guages are electronic. They can be controlled by the dimmer switch and have a relay in place also located behind the dash. I was going to simply replace the sub guage panel however, this may not be the rpoblem and I was trying to clarify if anyone else has had this problem and describe how they resolved it.
Thanks again!
Krewz

Last edited:
Prevtec,
Thanks fro the response. Yup, I was in the scrappies yesterday and I had the unit in my hand. The bulbs for the warning lights are all accessable from the rear of the unit so it suggests that the guages are lit by a circuit board type of assembly. The guages illuminate in increments as the fuel and temperature readings vary. I was gonna just replace the whole unit however as it involves ripping the whole dash out I wanted to ensure that there was not another fix as i dont really have any guarantee that this will fix the problem if it is related to another circuit fault.
Thanks again.
Krewz

Prevtec,
Thanks fro the response. Yup, I was in the scrappies yesterday and I had the unit in my hand. The bulbs for the warning lights are all accessable from the rear of the unit so it suggests that the guages are lit by a circuit board type of assembly. The guages illuminate in increments as the fuel and temperature readings vary. I was gonna just replace the whole unit however as it involves ripping the whole dash out I wanted to ensure that there was not another fix as i dont really have any guarantee that this will fix the problem if it is related to another circuit fault.
Thanks again.
Krewz
just to change 1 bulb in the dqashboard requires you to pull out the whole lot, annoying but not that hard,

if you dont know how to strip it, let me know man,
im only after doing it myself, but i installed a vtec light, go to gallery and look for my prelude, beauty and the beasts love child, while your fixing the clock you can install the light if you like