TDI 1995 Corvette? Help! Suggestions!

tdivette

Car
1995 Corvette
I am an old Corvette guy (1966 350hp, 73 454, 79 L82, 81, 85, 87 all manual shift). I'm going to take a 1995 6 speed manual Corvette and replace the motor and lighten it as well. I want to change it from 3300 pounds to under 3000. I also want to replace the 5.7 iron block engine with a turbo direct injection 4 cylinder gas or diesel.
The original got 16 city & 25 hwy MPG, 300 hp, 330 FtLbs torque. It was good for 0-60 in 5 second range and 1/4 mile in the 14's. Braking and handling was good.
MY GOAL- an under 3000 pound 1995 vette with improved handling and braking due to lighter weight. BUT, I want to run as fast or faster than before but get mid 20's city and mid 30's MPG.
I noticed a 5000 lbs VW Toureg tdi getting 19/28 MPG with over 400 ft/lbs of torque! It's a 6cylinder TDI.
For my "green turbo 4" I don't really care about fast. I want torque and quick at low speeds. I read here that the Diesel option is heavier than a gas motor. I plan to pull the engine out of a rolled car, they are plentiful and cheap. Vettes are plentiful and cheap here too. My local trade school may assist in the project with technical.
Any suggestions for the engine to get 3000 lbs to a quick 0-60 and killer MPG's? It has the stock ZF 6-speed to mate or I could take the trans from the new engine, it doesn't matter. :confused:

It's been a while since you posted, but here's someone with the same goal:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/aut...uild-is-in-full-swing-build-log-new-post.html

He's putting a turbo 4 into a C4 vette for racing. He believes it will be the best combination of weight and power for the class he's running.

I've got a 93 Corvette Convertible that gets about 18 MPG. I'd like to see Chevrolet consider a small turbo motor for the new Vettes!
Good Luck
Paul