TCJB's new front brakes

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Well the minister of family finances has just approved and paid for my 4 piston caliper big brake upgrade kit and hopefully it will be a problem free change over.

It comes with braided hoses and pads and have ordered an extra set as well as I like to have a spare set handy.

The rotors are 2 piece with billet alloy hats and 330 mm floating discs up from 300 stock that will help reduce stopping distances and last longer at track before fade comes into play and allow for the different expansion rates between the hat and disc metals.

Here is exactly what I am getting in the same colour as well |B

https://www.teiracing.com/brake-size-style-landing-page/

PS Well also be checking the weights of the factory caliper/disc combo against the TEI's to see if the BBK is hopefully a bit lighter as that will act a bit like a lighter flywheel with less rotational mass.

Last edited:
Have been told they will be in my hands early next week after they have been checked to ensure that all parts are included for a trouble free conversion.:)

Can't wait to try them out @ my next track day.

Last edited:
They will be in my hot hands on the weekend and booked to be installed the following Thursday :)

Well am having trouble with the supplier as they sent the incorrect size discs and hoses and most likely the wrong "dogbone"shaped mounting brackets as well and am waiting for replacements Not Happy at all :( \B

PS love the look of the calipers and would love them even more if they were on the car.

Last edited:
Have been sent a Fed Ex shipping note and the correct BBK will be here next week so hopefully they get it right this time.

They have sent the ordered 330 mm discs and matching mounting bracket so am booking the car in for fitting and flushing out the existing fluid so it can be replaced with RBF 600 fluid.Will keep you posted.

Well I finally have the correct size discs and brackets and have checked them in a wheel to double check clearance so off to my trusted workshop to have them fitted and the old fluids replaced with RBF600.

Also weighed the caliper and disc to see weather the new parts are lighter or heavier than the original.

Heading off to get them fitted tomorrow:) Hope it will be a trouble free experience.

Unfortunately there is a hold up with the braided lines due to the lack of sufficient distribution blocks (3 needed as there are 6 hoses in the kit) that for some obscure reason Honda decided to use :(

They are fitted and they look smick behind the freshly repainted black powder coated wheels.

The pads bedded in and have plenty of space between the 18 x 8 wheels without the need for spacers that are illegal on road cars over here UNLESS they are a factory fitting.

Will report my feelings as to how much better they are after the next track day in a few weeks.

Forgot to say that I have weighed them and they are app 3.5 kg lighter per side than the factory disc and caliper combo |B :)

Wheel caps are not allowed on the Qld raceway track so that's why they are left off in the pic.

Last edited:
They have great initial bite and will be great for my street sprint events where there is no chance to get any heat into the discs before the first application at app 130 + kph to slow for a tight chicane before a tight 50 kph 90 left turn.

The pads lasted a years of events and a weekly 10 klm drive and were worn below the 1/2 thickness groove so it was the right time to fit new pads as didn't want to end up with metal to metal contact and damaging the rotors.

I am pleased with them as they had good initial cold bite and no fade over the 5 hot lap sessions at my local track on time attack days and allowed me to brake very late from 160 k's into turn 1 and at one event had another driver in a faster car who had followed me before passing say that I was braking late for T1.

Am now braking even later and trail braking into T1 as I gain more confidence in the handling and grip of the Civic Type R and the brakes |B

After asking many questions and searching many brake pad sites I have finally got my hands on a set of FORZA FP3 pads to replace the current front pads that are worn past the depth groove that would have something like say 3-5 thousand road klm's left but would almost certainly wear down to the back plates and damage the rotors if I was to do a track day.

The Forza's are called the "Unicorn "pads as they have a working heat range from 0 to 800 degrees so hopefully they will be perfect for events that have no warm up laps as well as my 7 lap (1 warm up 5 hot 1 slow/ cool down lap) track day sprints.

Will pass on my thoughts after the next track day in app 5 weeks time.

Last edited:
Very happy with the Forza FP3 pads and have ordered another set to have on the shelf in case a new set can't be supplied at a later date.
Can highly recommend them as they are excellent on the street as well as no fade on track days |B