Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

TCJB'S NEW CAR ?

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by TCJBOLDIE, 4 October 2018.

1. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    I have been searching for an unmolested example of Hondas FN2 and driven1.5 hours to check out a nice clean white 103 K's FN2 Type R Civic and advised the seller that the brake rotors were obviously so badly worn and grooved that they would/should not pass a roadworthy certificate.

The owner a female got a bit antsy with me when I advised that she needed to get a new RWC and that any competent workshop would recommend fitting new discs and pads all round before a new RWC is issued.

Today I am heading south interstate to have a Red FN2 with 82klm's that I have arranged to have a pre purchase inspection and if it passes will be bringing it back on my car carrying trailer to take up residence in my man cave. I am towing my trailer to eliminate having to make a second trip to get the car if it is a good one so fingers crossed it is a good one.

Lunchmoney likes this.
  2. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    The red one has a new home :)

It's quite a bit wider than the Starion and only have 3 inches clearance on both sides of the trailer so will need to be careful loading and unloading.

3. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Have only driven it a little but am loving the motors willingness to rev and the best gearbox shift feel ever and am looking forward to getting used to the different handling and grip levels of the car and front wheel drive when I head off to a track day or 2 before years end.

I'm interested as to how much slower my times will be at all the street sprints I enter next year seeing that the Honda only has all 1/2 the power of the Starion.

I asked Obi if I needed to change my NDP and he advised just to change the pic.

4. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Sounds good, keep us updated with your times and progress. I wonder how it compares to the original unfettled Starion.

I'm sure after a year it will outperforming most things on the road!

5. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Obi the JB had 125KW's before I started my tinkering and the weight is nearly the same so it will be interesting to see how it goes when pushed .

I am loving the air con and Bluetooth as I can now hear incoming calls via the radio as I was having trouble hearing anything with the sat nav set at the highest level

Am having a bit of trouble rev matching down shifts due to the close ratio box and the motors willingness to rev along with my industrial deafness so I may need a not so quiet muffler fitted to help better co-ordination.

6. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    The fly by wire throttle feels a bit different as well.

7. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    IME it takes about 6 months to fully mesh with a new car. Even the same model feels different when you jump in another one. I think the car has to get used to your driving style as well.

FBW = More responsive?

8. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    It just feels either too light or sensitive as my old car had extra throttle springs to comply with our motorsport rule sand I had been driving it for 26 years so I have to get comfortable with the FBW in a much shorter time frame as I seriously doubt I have 26 years of driving left in me.

Will see if there is some way to add a spring to the pedal so it feels a bit more like the old girl :)

Quite a few have asked why I sold the Starion and I tell them that there were 2 old things in my life one for 26 years and the other for 55 years and I took the cheapest option :lol:

obi_waynne likes this.
  9. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Am slowly getting used to it and love all the gizmos like the glove box cooler,adjustable headlight height, auto on headlights and wipers, the slick 6 speed box,Blue tooth that I can turn up loud to solve my hearing problems when an incoming call arrives and that digital speedo position sight line above the steering wheel makes so much good sense.

Still have to do a track day to help get used to FWD and push my limits to learn and feel the different grip levels and handling when trying to set a good lap time.

PS 2 of lovely grand daughters call the car Lightning Mac queen from the cars movie:)

obi_waynne and Lunchmoney like this.
  10. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Last edited: 19 November 2018
  11. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Was told that there was 5000+ k's left in the pads by the roadworthy test workshop but managed to wear the fronts out the last few laps on the track :( so it's off to get a BBK upgrade fitted :)