TCJB's first 2019 street sprint event.

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
It is the Wondai street sprints and it is a relatively new event held over 2 days that only started 4 years ago and I have entered all of them to date.

I have entered but my wife has only come home after an operation and 4 days in hospital and she is banned from doing the normal everyday chores so I have to be her carer till she fully recovers.

I have had to learn new domestic skills like using the dishwasher and washing machine:rolleyes: :lol:

I do all the maintenance, mowing,gardening, weeding,feeding the chooks plus cleaning their pen and pruning that involves more than 120 metres of hedges taking things to the tip.We live on 2 acres so there is plenty of things outside our home to keep me busy as well.

Last edited:
My wife has recovered sufficiently enough and is ok with me heading off early Friday morning so later today I will be loading the car on the trailer as well as packing whatever is needed to survive camping in the pits for 2 days/nights so will be interested in seeing how my NA FWD times compare with my RWD turbo times.

My main thing is to catch up with competitors ,enjoy the event and bring the car home ready for it's next outing that looks like being a track day.

It looks like I am in a field of 10 in class so if I manage to finish in the front 1/2 I will be happy.

Came home last night after a 3 hour drive back and was very pleased with my FN2 Type R Civic and was impressed with it's vice free handling and grip.

Was 2nd in a class of 10 after the first timed run but slipped down the order to 9th as the other drivers got faster and battled back to 5th place.

I had trouble getting a good launch as the car bogged down even after a 4000rpm launch and am wondering if the stability control may have been interfering ?

Was rapt with the was I could accelerate and power down into and around the sweeping slightly longish off camber turn 1 and the car felt like it could handle even higher speeds safely.

Track map http://www.sbmotorsinmotion.com/images/Layout.pdf

ESP does interfere quite alot in my experience.
I had it on my old Focus. Could turn TC off but the ESP was permanently on.
Honestly not sure if there is a way to turn it off on the Honda.

Vaux had it on my Astra. But there was a sneaky way of disabling it. Much to Vauxhalls disappointment as they never actually released the method.
I found it online.
Maybe a google search will insight you more buddy.

Sounds like a good day was had in all fairness though.

I didn't want to turn the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control button is on the dash) off without having done so on a track that had far more run off areas than at Wondai where there is virtually no room for error.

Will definitely turn it off @ my next track day to get the feel as to what will happen when I do some left foot braking or lift off oversteer to find out how well behaved the rear end is where there is more space to recover should I run out of talent :)

It's always a good day for me when I load the car on the trailer looking at the end of an event looking the same as when it arrived |B

I found a quiet spot well away from homes and tested starting with and without the VSC and it definitely hampers quick starts when I tried a 3000 RPM start as it prevents breaking traction by cutting either fuel or spark.

When I it turned off and @ the same revs the car leaps away from a standing start.