TCJB's driving tips

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
May I take the liberty and offer a weekly tips to help improve driving standards ?

1 Walk around car check that it is clear no toys bikes kids there and tyres appear to be fully inflated.

2 Belt up before start up .

3 Check operation of all lights hi/lo beams, indicators in dark before opening garage door.

4 Sit upright with hands at 9&3 thumbs out so that your upper and lower arms are @ app 90 degrees.This is the correct position for the seat belt and air bag can work as designed.If you are too far away driving with straight arms & legs not only will you end up with elbow /shoulder/knee/hip damage as a result of locking the joints your arms & knees to brace yourself but the air bag will not save/stop your head from snapping forward and possible neck injury due to being too far away.

Waynne and moderators your thoughts yea or nay appreciated ;):D
Happy to continue or forget it if that is what you want??.

PS Not wanting to be regarded as a know all (as I don't but still willing to learn ) but trying/hoping to pass on a bit of my knowledge/experience that may hopefully help someone decide to incorporate even just 1 of my tips but hopefully more into their daily driving habits and by doing will become a safer driver.

Last edited:
May I take the liberty and offer a weekly tips to help improve driving standards ?

1 Walk around car check that it is clear no toys bikes kids there and tyres appear to be fully inflated.

2 Belt up before start up .

3 Check operation of all lights hi/lo beams, indicators in dark before opening garage door.

4 Sit upright with hands at 9&3 thumbs out so that your upper and lower arms are @ app 90 degrees.This is the correct position for the seat belt and air bag can work as designed.If you are too far away driving with straight arms & legs not only will you end up with elbow /shoulder/knee/hip damage as a result of locking the joints your arms & knees to brace yourself but the air bag will not save/stop your head from snapping forward and possible neck injury due to being too far away.

Waynne and moderators your thoughts yea or nay appreciated ;):D
Happy to continue or forget it if that is what you want??.

PS Not wanting to be regarded as a know all (as I don't but still willing to learn ) but trying/hoping to pass on a bit of my knowledge/experience that may hopefully help someone decide to incorporate even just 1 of my tips but hopefully more into their daily driving habits and by doing will become a safer driver.

Thanks mate I am 48 and have been driving over 30 years and am still willing to learn and improve.

Thanks 4 your approval guys .

Seeing that a lot of you will be having a white Christmas and wearing thick coats etc you need to pull the shoulder strap tight to remove as much slack as possible no matter what clothes you are wearing so that in the event of a crash the belt will lock earlier to prevent your chest /body moving about and keep you in the best possible position to survive with no or minimal injury.

I have seen a number of females actually loosen the seat belt straps or put it under their arm or put the shoulder strap behind their back and when told how silly/dangerous have told me that it makes them feel uncomfortable wearing it properly .I promptly told them that ending up in hospital in traction can be very uncomfortable too

Last edited:
Great post. Luckily I try my best to do all of the listed! Specially belting up before driving and making sure my arms and legs are at a correct position.

I don't major on generalising or pigeon-holing people but I do think there are two broad groups of drivers:

Group one: reactive drivers, relying upon reflexes and razor sharp reactions (nothing wrong per se but things can be better.....)

Group two: perceptive drivers. Not saying that the members of this group have poor reactions/reflexes but the driving situation is constantly monitored by the driver based upon vision and planning. Potential issues are seen much earlier and much further ahead (or behind - mirrors please folks) and thus those potential hazards can be arranged in order of magnitude/importance. There's a lot to be said for a running commentary when driving, even when alone.

Attitude and anticipation are priceless driving companions.

It makes going from A to B quickly very easy and without actually driving 'fast'.

HDI Most do not know about a"running commentary"and if they were to do one they would be amazed at what they "see" every day that the brain does not register as generally most drivers are thinking about what they will be doing when they get to where they are going and not concentrating on the driving, a task that demands your full attention.
Traffic flow,changes in road surfaces that usually result in differing grip levels,Climate conditions that can also affect grip for example a foggy morning that has cleared and it is sunny and the road is dry BUT if there is a shaded section the road will still be damp with far less grip that can catch out unwary drivers if they have to brake or turn suddenly.

Last edited:
^ ^ ^ Yep, right with you ^ ^ ^

Even silly stuff like sudden rainfall in a supermarket car park. What happens? Pedestrians start to rush/run to get into the dry and therefore pay less attention to moving vehicles.

Information is king

^ ^ ^ Yep, right with you ^ ^ ^

Even silly stuff like sudden rainfall in a supermarket car park. What happens? Pedestrians start to rush/run to get into the dry and therefore pay less attention to moving vehicles.

Information is king

My next tip.
The best position for your right foot is heel on the floor app 1/2 way between the accelerator & brake pedal and when applying the brake simply pivot on the heel to brake DO NOT lift heel off the floor as not only is this method fractionally faster than lifting your foot off the floor to brake but it also gives better control in modulating brake pressures as you are not also having to control the weight of your leg as well.

Last edited:
Another top tip to avoid embarrassment is to make sure it's not in gear before starting the engine. I have seen someone almost crash into their own wall on the drive doing this which was quite funny.
I always check now no matter what after almost bumping into a brand new Porsche 911 at the garage. Made more embarrassing they all had a good laugh at the shocked look on my face :)

Another top tip to avoid embarrassment is to make sure it's not in gear before starting the engine. I have seen someone almost crash into their own wall on the drive doing this which was quite funny.
I always check now no matter what after almost bumping into a brand new Porsche 911 at the garage. Made more embarrassing they all had a good laugh at the shocked look on my face :)

That's why one should have the hand/parking brake firmly engaged and only release it when you have checked that it is safe and you are ready to drive away.

This is common sense stuff to me. Not really interested in this, it's not remotely enlightening

Common sense to you and many others yes but how many drivers daily do you see lacking common sense?
Even if this thread only makes 1 better driver in the world I would appreciate that!

If the thread doesn't interest you Paul that's fine! But it does others! So negative comments like this aren't really needed tbh mate.

That's why one should have the hand/parking brake firmly engaged and only release it when you have checked that it is safe and you are ready to drive away.

When I jumped mine forward the hand brake was on. It was a gravel car park though so probably a reason why it slid forward.

I started this tread simply to pass on some info that some may never have been taught or have forgotten as from my observations many seem to have lapsed into some bad/poor habits .

Common sense can quite scarce at times and IMHO it should be renamed "uncommon sense "

For those who are knowledgeable on the subject (possibly more so than me ) some of what I may offer can be quite ho hum and basic and not their cup of tea and I'm ok with that .

PS thanks for your support 1983

Last edited:
My next tip

You steer with your eyes (brain & hands) so look where you want to go NOT at what you don't want to hit.

How many have seen the pot hole and thump thump drive over it ??

Keep your eyes moving and don't develop target fixation/tunnel vision, look as far ahead as possible to read the traffic flow.

Last edited:
This is common sense stuff to me. Not really interested in this, it's not remotely enlightening
He is only giving a opinion which he is allowed to do.
Keep it coming TJCB that's my opinion which is also allowed.

TCJB sorry for the typo.;)

He is only giving a opinion which he is allowed to do.
Keep it coming TJCB that's my opinion which is also allowed.

TCJB sorry for the typo.;)

Opinions are like backsides -everyone has one and what I post is simply mine and if one has an open mind one can at times learn from others.

Someone told me a long time ago that your mind should be like a parachute....... it needs to be open to work properly;):D

PS This post was not aimed at anybody whatsoever

Opinions are like backsides -everyone has one and what I post is simply mine and if one has an open mind one can at times learn from others.

Someone told me a long time ago that your mind should be like a parachute....... it needs to be open to work properly;):D

PS This post was not aimed at anybody whatsoever

Some good analogies there mate:lol:
Don,t think anyone thought it was aimed at them.

Lets keep this thread informative gentlemen, we all have witnessed shocking displays of what some drivers perceived to be the use of common sense on our roads. Cheers TCJB, I have actually learned a few things I did not know before. :wink:

Lets keep this thread informative gentlemen, we all have witnessed shocking displays of what some drivers perceived to be the use of common sense on our roads. Cheers TCJB, I have actually learned a few things I did not know before. :wink:

Ok mate:bigsmile:

Next tip
Most cars are equipped with what is generally called a "foot rest " and that is what most use it for resting their left foot

IMHO it is really a "foot brace " and it should be used to apply pressure to push yourself back in the seat when braking so one does not use the steering wheel as a brace by doing this you do not have grip the wheel tightly and tighten/tension your shoulder& arm muscles and you should always have a relaxed hold on the wheel which gives the driver a better feel for the car.

I also recommend that where possible to use your knees against the console or door to resist the side forces when turning depending on the turn direction to keep firmly seated and upright. DO NOT lean your head sideways when turning as this gives a different aspect as to exactly where the car is on the road

Last edited:
Today's tip

Always check tyre pressures COLD and note which need more air so when you are at the servo add the extra amount of air required on top of whatever the servo gauge shows to bring the pressures back to the recommended levels.

For example a tyre is 25psi and should be 30psi so it is 5psi low and after driving some way to the servo their gauge shows may say 30 PSI(or whatever it indicates) BUT YOU STILL NEED TO ADD THE 5lbs TO WHATEVER THE SERVO GAUGE SHOWS TO GET THE TYRE TO THE RECOMMENDED LEVEL as the pressures have gone up due to heat build up driving there.

It is better you have a quality gauge of your own as the servo ones get a tough life and their accuracy can vary and better still if you have your own compressor to add air before driving.

FWIW weekly checks are recommended.

PS I am a dinosaur and refuse to put that French/foreign KPA stuff in my tyres.

Last edited:
Today's tip

DO NOT let your front seat passenger(the most dangerous seat in any car) lay the seat back to have a sleep as in a sudden stop or crash they will submarine under the lap belt and end up in the footwell and the passenger side SRS airbag will be useless .

The seat must be in an upright position for the saftey features to operate and work as designed.

Another stupid thing that I have seen ts passengers with a foot/feet on top of the SRS airbag in the dashboard as they seem to have little comprehension of what will happen when it deploys at over 200 kph in app 5 miliseconds

Last edited:
Next tip

I recommend drivers the engage hand/parking brake whenever stopped at traffic lights and when waiting to turn and recommend keeping wheels straight while waiting to turn.

The reasoning behind this is that in the event of being rear ended your foot can be dislodged off the brake pedal and the clutch if holding it in gear and on to the accelerator and if you have the front wheels turned in the direction you want to go you will/can end up being shunted/forced into oncoming traffic.

I also depress the h/b button to prevent the ratcheting clack clack sound when applying the H|B

Last edited:
Next tip

I recommend drivers the engage hand/parking brake whenever stopped at traffic lights and when waiting to turn and recommend keeping wheels straight while waiting to turn.

The reasoning behind this is that in the event of being rear ended your foot can be dislodged off the brake pedal and the clutch if holding it in gear and on to the accelerator and if you have the front wheels turned in the direction you want to go you will/can end up being shunted/forced into oncoming traffic.

I also depress the h/b button to prevent the ratcheting clack clack sound when applying the H|B

Waynne what happened here with this post ??:confused:

What do you mean? It looks fine to me.
Sorry .my bad:( :embarrest:

Todays tip

Do not out drive your field of vision day or night. IF you are driving at a speed and are unable to stop within the amount of road you can see before hitting something then you are traveling way too fast and out driving your field of vision. You may be having a spirited drive on familiar roads with blind corners BUT you can never know what is coming the other way.

Many years ago (app 55) when I was young and silly I was running late for work and was speeding and crested a hill on a straight road in a semi rural area app 20mph over the limit to be confronted by the local newsagent driving on the wrong side of the double lines throwing a newspaper into a property:blink: I would like to think it was my driving skill that saved me BUT on reflection lady luck played a leading role.

I had never encountered the newsagent in the 8 or so weeks previously when there was no traffic at all .When we had words he said that he had always done the same thing every day:confused::amazed:

If you see a problem ahead always cover the brake in case you need to stop then think about what you need to do.
Brake first think second is what you need to have ingrained in your daily habit/response so that is your automatic reaction.

These tips are getting predictable. I do not, however, agree totally with your advice to brake first, think second. Of course the prospect of losing speed as rapidly as possible is a good one and I tend to concur, - brake straight - steer late etc. But...... The message contained herein is not that....................

If the numbskulls are reading this (there will be a few) take you seriously then they (will take you seriously) are going to assume that you are discouraging thinking. Sadly people ARE that stupid.

Let's try and put together something a bit more plausible than top tips shall we? I'm up for discussion on this mate.

These tips are getting predictable. I do not, however, agree totally with your advice to brake first, think second. Of course the prospect of losing speed as rapidly as possible is a good one and I tend to concur, - brake straight - steer late etc. But...... The message contained herein is not that....................

If the numbskulls are reading this (there will be a few) take you seriously then they (will take you seriously) are going to assume that you are discouraging thinking. Sadly people ARE that stupid.

Let's try and put together something a bit more plausible than top tips shall we? I'm up for discussion on this mate.

What I was trying to say is that if you think about something before getting on the brake pedal then you are that much closer to what you may hit and there less distance to stop in time particularly if it is an emergency situation.

If a crash is inevitable then best have it at the slowest speed possible.

I guess what I am trying to pass on is that things need to be put into practice so they become second nature and become ingrained into your muscle memory.

More than happy to have your help to get more better info out there :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Next one .
when turning corners where vision is restricted enter after brakeing with a trailing throttle and feather the throttle to maintain a safe speed then only accelerate/apply power (IF NEEDED) when you can see where the corner ends.

BTW this does not mean if it is an open road where you can see all of the corner that one should apply power earlier.

IMO this is general good driving practice and does not cover all situations.

In racing terms "slow in fast out"

Next one is a traffic light rules refresher

RED simply means stop BUT BEHIND THE LINE and not past the line and 1/2 way into the pedestrian crossing.

AMBER is the start of the RED cycle AND NOT AN EXTENSION OF THE GREEN CYCLE and you must stop and if you can without locking up all 4 BUT if safe to do so.ALWAYS know what is behind and how close as you do not want to stop to have a truck or tailgater who is expecting you to drive thru on amber ram you and end up severely injured or worse.
What most seem to do and think is it is ok as long as they can get past the first light and on to the intersection before it turns RED so they keep driving and or accelerate to get across. I am stunned at the amount of blatant red light runners there are over here that I see on a daily basis.

GREEN indicates that you can go BUT WHEN SAFE TO DO SO after checking all other directions for red light runners OR a pedestrian making a dash across in front of you and ignoring the RED"don't walk " light/sign

Last edited:
Today's road rules refresher.

Speed limit increase signs. The lower limit applies all the way to the sign so DO NOT accelerate when you can see them 100metres or more away in the distance.

Speed reduction signs. The reduced speed starts at the sign and you should not maintain the higher speed right up to the sign and then take your foot off the gas and gradually slow down using engine braking.

BTW & FWIW I practice what I preach

It´s actually great advice... thanks for sharing with us. I currently live in Spain, and not joking but the driving theory book should be a Tolkien masterpiece... its crazy here, my recommendations which I would like to share (and if any expats living in Spain, Greece or Italy will agree) is

1. leave on time
2. leave 5 minutes before that :)
3. dont rush through a yellow or even red light (yes some people do that here)
4. a Zebra crossing is not really for zebras, its for people (yes... that also needs reminding here).
5. anual check up of car is also a good decision - something that can save you money on the long run
6. take pride in what you drive (maintenance, cleaning) and how you drive it (with respect for others - other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists etc.)

Next tip
The "head rest" is actually a head restraint and should not be removed so you can wear your flat brim cap backwards and the top should be level with the top of your head OR a little higher to protect your neck from whiplash injury which can happen in both front and rear end crashes.