TCJB's 2nd track day in 2021

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
With all the pandemic restrictions etc am looking forward to my next track day for the year to see if my lighter front wheels combined with the 50kg weight loss gained by the removal of the spare wheel and rear seats along with the drivers plus an extra 7 kg weight loss resulting from the drivers diet will result in a new PB lap time in 3 weeks time.

FYI a lighter wheel and tyre combination will act similar to a lighter flywheel as they will use less of the HP when accelerating so hopefully that will lead to a slightly higher speeds before applying the brakes at the end of the straights and maybe just maybe knock a couple of 10ths off my previous best lap times.

PS have even thought of starting with only a 1/2 tank of fuel and topping up when it drops down to say 1/4 full as I don't want to get any fuel starvation.

Well it turned out to be a rainy track day with 3 cars badly damaged 1 Radical and 2 Evos which is not the way any track day should end.

It wasn't raining at home so changed over to my track day wheels and AR1 well worn semi slicks that spun up in the standing puddles when under WOT in the straights and used left foot braking to slow down and help turn in while keeping the throttle down.

Was somewhat surprised by the grip available given that the tyre pattern is made for the most surface area not water dispersion.
and stayed on the tarmac despite some ending in the kitty litter / sand traps.

Always interested to hear your experiences, I bet it felt good to be back on the track.

I love track days as they are the safest way to drive at high speeds in a safe environment and fully intend to grow old as slowly as possible by driving as fast as I can :D

Funny thing is that my age is only revealed to other drivers when I take off my helmet and it never enters my mind heading out onto the track attempting to not be no slower than before and hopefully cutting a 10th or so off my previous best time.

That may not happen but love driving and competing against myself as well as anybody else in a similar car.

Really royally peed off at this cancer operation has thrown a spanner in the works and having to withdraw from the 3klm long Gold Rush Hill Sprint that I had been looking forward to for all year.