Tax refund after SORN?

wolfmankurd

Track Warrior
Car
Renault Clio 1.2
I just declared my car sorn since it wont be insured any time soon. I did it online so I could get it out of the way soon but it is actually taxed for quiet a while, can I get a refund now? Or did I need to do the sorn on the refund form?

I assumed I just sent the refund application but there is a bit where I have to declare sorn on there, can I do it twice? So confusing!

All this is really making my head hurt now :/

Last edited:
Odd way to go about it. Should have got a refund form and declared it SORN via that. Doing it again won't matter as I'm sure the DVLA won't even notice.

I bought an old Citroen AX for my eldest daughter, no tax when it was bought, SORN was not even around then. The following year she decided on a different car so this was passed down to daughter number 2. She too decided on a different car. When daughter number 3 siad she was driving, she said yes I'll have it. So by this time it was not SORN'd and therefore untaxed for a few years, no letters, no fines since it was MOT'd and taxed when back on the system. I informed the DVLA of this and they said it was fine.

I know they are pushing for SORN being in place purely to crack down on those cars that are uninsured.

It's should be OK. There's no way in English law that rules can be applied retrospectively. If, however, the car had previously been SORNed then is would apply.

For a tax refund you can pop into your local post office and ask for the form to do so. Fill it in, send off your tax disc and you'll receive a refund a few weeks later. I did it when my Civic was off road for repairs.