Tappin/knockin noise

DCSPORTZ

Car
Punto GT
Hey everyone

just rebuilt my engine n started it up yesterday n it started first time but has a tappin/knockin noise comin from the top part of the engine, all horrible thoughts went through my head piston slap, bent valve etc but I noticed when I put more oil in it stopped for 30secs then came back agen, piston slap usually goes after a min or two, mines just constant slow tappin/knockin but when I rev it, it gets louder n faster, it revs perfectly at 900rpm n doesn't move, so I'm thinkin tappets need adjustin, n it drives n pulls well

does anyone have any ideas?

Couple of things that come to mind.

1- Make sure you are using the right grade oil.
2- Are the tappets new, and were they fitted correctly i.e. filled with oil before fitting etc.
3- Oil feeds are piped correctly.
4- Oil pump faulty?
5- Daft one i know but has the alternator belt been fitted back on?

Couple of things that come to mind.

1- Make sure you are using the right grade oil.
2- Are the tappets new, and were they fitted correctly i.e. filled with oil before fitting etc.
3- Oil feeds are piped correctly.
4- Oil pump faulty?
5- Daft one i know but has the alternator belt been fitted back on?

hi thanx for your reply

im using the normal oil that ive always put in the car 10/40
yeh ive used new shims on it well 7 of them anyway.

right the noise is annoyin me lol sounds like a ratttle like an old diesel, so ive decided to check the shim clearances again, 3 are in the tolerances -/+ 0.05 and one exhaust shim that is well out.
do you think this is wots causin the noise?

its definatly comin from the top of the engine, i know these engines tap becuase they have noisey injectors but this is terrible

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back