tappets

sjwagstaff

Wrench Pro
Car
Galant 2.5 V6 Sport
Tappets seema bit noisy,are they self adjusting on the 2.5 V6 Galant?
Is engine cam chain or belt?

cheers

They are hydraulic tappets. Try changing the oil and see if this help. It's probably worth doing an oil flush as well first. A set of tappets will cost around £600 to replace :eek:

I think it is a belt rather than a chain.

The cam followers [tappets] are approx £265. You will need rocker cover gaskets and a plenum gasket. It is advisable to do an oil and filter change at the same time.
The cam belts on these engines don't break/snap etc. The faults are the same as all Mitsu V6 engines, the water pump fails, the hydraulic tensioner fails or the idler or tensioning pulley bearings collapse.
Do not just replace the belt as you will achieve nothing other than put new forces upon the old components that remain. Change the lot and be safe.

been for a drive today and the tappets only seem to be noisy for a few minutes after starting car ,after that they eem nice and quiet.

The cam followers [tappets] are approx £265.
Is that with fitting? I'm miles out, I got that off from memory and it might have been a main dealer. Perhaps my brain is starting to fail me. I'll have to upgrade my ram.

If the tappets quiten down when warm just keep an eye on the oil level and you should prevent further deterioration. Check it weekly then if the level is fairly stable change to semi weekly or monthly oil level checks.;)

No Waynne, those prices i have given do not include fitting, i'm just assuming that the chap wants to do it himself so gave the basic purchase prices. :D

wasnt going to attempt myself :eek:,is it easy enough job?
will need doing one day i suppose.

will pop it to local place and get them to listen ,

Last edited:
well man, all i can say get somebody to get it done 4 u. its fairly a job that u shoulb knowing wot ya doing. i suspect your oil pump might not be so good anymore. but if u say it silence upafter a while...it probably means something else.