tap tap noise

TrueSoft

Car
GTO MR
Hi all, This is my second GTO TT. On both cars the tappets seem to be noisy at times.
This noise comes and goes. Sometimes she sounds so sweet, like a sewing machine.
I have bought new lifters with 3mm hole and a spanner type of tool to chamge them.
Is this worth doing? How do you use this tool? Is there anything else worth doing whilst replacing the lifters?
many thanks

Sorry I missed this post. I guess I'm too late and you've done the job now!

I would say to check the cam for wear and make sure the valve springs are all in good order.

Do you have a workshop manual? They can be quite handy when you need clearances and tips on setup on a specific model. I always make a point of getting a workshop manual now for my cars, it's saved me loads of time.

Changing the cam followers will solve the problem. Soak them in a jug of good quality oil, top hole upwards for a couple of hours prior to fitment. Make sure you fit new oil & filter. Two decent oils are either Fuchs Pro-S 10/50 or Valvoline VR1 10/60, these are both synthetic oils and will work better than anything else.
The job isn't diffivult, just a little time consuming, especially if it's your first time working on these engines. Be patient and it will be worth the effort.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back