Taking out air filter

Kibido

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi S3 1.8t
Somebody told me that it gives a tiny boost to horse power and gives a nice sound... I doubt it doesn't have side effects because if it's there I suppose it's there for a reason. Thanks, car is 206 1.4 from 1998.

I wouldn't recommend it, the filters there for a reason. If you really want induction noise then the popular way is drill a handful of 1inch (25mm) holes in the air box.

Take your air filter out if you like costly repairs to intake pipes, injectors, seals, piston rings etc. Get a performance filter or induction kit for more noise.

Remove your airbox, sand the insides smooth, then replace the air filter with a performance panel filter and you should be sorted.

basically what as been said. the dust, never mind all the bigger stuff will get drawn into the engine and cause problems.

as davalva has said. remove the filter and smooth out the airbox with a dremmel, chisel, and sandpaper. for noise drill a couple of 1" size holes on the pre filtered side and wash out.
i wouldnt bother with a performance filter to be honest mate a OEM one with be about a tenth of the price and its unlikey to have any difference in performance on a smaller engine. OK its reusable but by the time youve bought 10 OEM ones your probably thinking of changing the car even if done every 6 months

Could you explain exactly where the pre filtered side is? I guess the only thing I'm capable of doing of everything you guys said is making the holes
BB_asd.gif

EDIT: Ok I need a hand. An ahole took out the whole air filter box (THIS) and I'm having a good sound but as you said it's not good for the engine, so I was thinking about buying something cheap like THIS. As much as I've understood it gives a good sound and does it's job of cleaning, right? Can somebody give me an eBay link of the filter that fits my car? And possibly a cheap one, I wouldn't like to spend more than 30€... Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back