T5 running like a dog

JJ76

Car
Volvo C70 T5 Coupe
Hi I recently had the cam belt/new clutch/plugs/ oil change done at my local Hi-Q garage and when the turbo kicks in the engine jerks takes off then jerks again and the check engine light comes on! I have replaed the MAF sensor but still the same. Could this be the Turbo Control Valve? Or maybe the garage just got plugs from partco not correctly gapped and put those in. The car runs fine at low speeds but plays up when I put my foot down.

Its really frustrating because I bought it 2 weeks ago for £1500 and since then I have spent another £1300 on maintenance. Before I get any mods done I need to know whats wrong. I have ordered an ODBII sensor but wont be here until after xmas.

In the T5 the turbo should introduce itself very smoothly. There shouldn't be any discernible kick. The rough running is definitely off limits. What a bummer at any time, but right across Xmas you have my sympathy.

Have you checked for manifold air/vacuum leaks? It could also be fuel starvation. What's worrying is that it's just been serviced.

certainly sounds like plug gap, it's absolutely crytical on a T5, did you replace the maf with a genuine volvo/bosch item? also is it an me7 or pre me7 engine?

Looks like fuel starvation.

Check the fuel pump and fuel filter?...............

Spark-plug gap would cause erratic idling too, if not set right, but easiest thing to check.

Mebbe the coil is giving out too, under heavy load, so another thing to check...

And since you worked on the clutch, that could also be the reason, if the release is not smooth due to improper fitting, and the revs are steady........

Last edited:
Thanks very much guys really appreciate the great feedback, you have given me some great pointers. This is what forums are about so cheers. John
:)

is most likey going to be the plugs

a mate that works for volvo told me when i had my c70 t5 that you can only use volvo spark plugs for it nothing else
as they dont like anything else

and i have seen it twice since then
i put volvo plugs well volvo everything when i had mine cos i got the parts cheap lol

so the first thing i would change on wednesday is the plugs

Thanks for that, I will get some proper volvo plugs on Wednesday. Yesterday I unplugged the multiplug from the Turbo control vavle and it did stop chugging even at high revs so I might change the Turbo control valve as well or can it be cleaned? Probably still the plugs under load though.

Its a high performance straight six turbo like stageas ( and an estate as well) Really picky about plugs and gaps and probably best not taken to HiQ (IMHO)

Should run it on volvo plugs or better still NGK iridiums

Also if all of this including the engine light happened after their "service" and it was ok before take it back to them ASAP.

Engine light on on turbo car really isnt good news

Once again cheers for the recommendations I reall yappreciate it, today I cleaned my TCV on the side of the airbox and it ran a lot better, I did notice that the solonoid on the valve was a little rusty so do you think its worth replacing this along with fitting volvo plugs? Is it common for these to need replacing or am I wasting more money?

From a cost POV I'd do the plugs first and see what transpires thereafter. If the turbo is delivering the torque progressively then I would say all is fine provided there are no engine/emissions fault lights on show.

Like I said before, the turbo installation in these cars is very well done and it shouldn't be easy to determine the point at which the turbo starts to do useful work. Likewise they should never feel flat, even at low revs in high gears.

Cheers lads, I have just bought tis little lot:

Dear Customer

Thank you for shopping with PartsforVolvosOnline.com, we are pleased to confirm that we have received your order, the full details of which are listed below. You will receive further notification once your order has been despatched.
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 135704
Detailed Invoice:
https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/account_history_info.php?order_id=135704
Date Ordered: Monday 27 December, 2010

Products
1 x S/V/C70 Series (Turbo Engines) Spark Plugs (8692071) = £37.22

1 x S/V/C70 Series, 1998 onwards, IPD Turbo Control Valve (PFV906136) = £84.01

Sub-Total: £121.23

JJ76 your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics or links. I've approved it for you this time mate.;)
Have a wander round an you'll soon hit 10. :)