What shoud I do with the Car?

• Keep the Car untouched

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vaibhav

Car
Suzuki Swift
Hi All

Not a great post to be someone's first one :(, I am gonna ask the experts anyway...

I own a Suzuki Swift 1.2 (K Series Petrol - the K12M Mill) and recently had a freak seemingly innocuous accident. The Oil Filter gave way and the leaked Engine Oil resulted in a Seizure... :embarrest:

I have got the Engine worked on by a local mechanic but I ensured only Genuine Engine parts were used. Ever since I got the repaired car, I can feel a 10-15% drop in the power as well as Fuel Efficiency. Earlier I used to revv my engine all the way to 110 kmph in the second gear and have touched 180 kmph on the highway in the 4th...

Post the Engine job, the Rev limiter seems to hit at 90 kmph (as per the Stock Speedo), in short the car doesnt feel as free revving as earlier... The Engine also has started vibrating a little more than earlier, however, its still more silent than a lot of competition...

The engine is rated at 85 PS @6000 RPM and 113 Nm @4000 RPM, dont know about the current figures, post the rework. I have the following Questions for the Experts here:

1. Is it possible that the Engine can be tuned to its earlier settings simply through minor adjustments on the ECU or any other component?

2. In case 1. is not possible can a small 1.2 L Unit be modified for an increase in power, and how much will this gain in power be in percentage?

3. In case the above is possible, what is the cheapest and most easily manageable modification that will increase the peak power output without compromising the Low end torque and there is no compromise on the City Driveability of the car whilst the Highway driving becomes sweeter than earlier? All I am looking for is a 10-15 PS increase in Power.

4. I have been reading this website and figured Induction Kits/ Sports Air Filters combined with a Free Flow Exhaust can increase the power by a few percentage points?

5. Will this increase in power using the mods mentioned in Point 4 result in a loss of reliability of the engine and lead to frequent part failure? And will this be money well spent or am I gonna be spending something with only marginal gains?

6. Can something be done to prevent any effect on the reliability of the engine while doing these mods?

7. In case any of the above is not possible, would the experts advise me to get rid of the car or keep it in its present state?

A few more facts about the Car:

Its done about 42,000 km
Has been regularly serviced every 10,000 km
Mineral Oil is used for the Engine
I am a spirited Driver at most times and pretty revv happy
Tyres are due for a replacement in the near future because of uneven wear and poor quality of the Stock tyres and Delhi-NCR Roads
The Brake Pads got replaced recently

Will eagerly wait for Expert Opinion and decide the Car's fate.

Cheers
Vaibhav

Greetings Vaibhav and Welcome to TorqueCars My Friend! :)

Hopefully somebody more familiar with your car model will be along in a while to answer your questions!

Good luck ;)

Hello and welcome to the site mate

when the engine seized it may have scored the block, did they just rebuild the engine as is or was it honed to remove any scratches with larger pistons fitted ?

wouldnt have thought mineral oil should have been used for that engine.

power increase on a small engine can be obtained but it will be expensive and put a strain on the engine as well. Air filters and exhausts wont add much and not really add much of a strain, but for power your looking at increasing the compression and headwork

Hello and welcome to the site mate

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome!

when the engine seized it may have scored the block, did they just rebuild the engine as is or was it honed to remove any scratches with larger pistons fitted ?

The Engine block was not touched, the connecting rods were replaced and the crank was polished...

wouldnt have thought mineral oil should have been used for that engine.

The company offers both Mineral Oil as well as Synthetic Oil at the time of service but the cost of Synthetic Oil is about 4 times..

I am aware that the use of Synthetic Oil gives better Engine Protection but does it also have an effect on the performance of the engine?

Can the service interval (Currently 10000 km) be increased if I choose Synthetic over Mineral?

power increase on a small engine can be obtained but it will be expensive and put a strain on the engine as well. Air filters and exhausts wont add much and not really add much of a strain, but for power your looking at increasing the compression and headwork

Can the Air Filter and Exhaust job (combined with Removal of the Cat Con) free up 4-5 PS of power? I can live with that. I dont intend to touch the compression or go for any headwork for now.

did they check the bore walls of the cylinders them ? they would have to remove the pistons to fit the new rods.

synthetic oil is dear but yes it does have a benefit to the engine. if your engine is supposed to use synthetic then thats what it should be using. most sythetics are 15000km (bout 10k miles) although id still change it around your 10k km.

filter exhaust and removal of the cat may see you the 5 ps.