Suspension.

YetiPete123

Car
Skoda Yeti 2ltr
Hi, can any one advise on the best suspension package for a Skoda Yeti 20ltr diesel on a 2014 plate. I would like to keep the same ride height as far as is possible, the Yeti has had a remap and a single mass fly wheel and clutch kit, dumped the wooly dual mass clutch. the Yeti pushes 200 plus bhp at the wheels and 480Nm of torque, has some pretty good 0-60 times, the top end is also very impresive, as is the fuel economy when it is driven with a light foot. The brakes at the front have also been changed in favour of Delphi discs and pads. Have looked at a kit from Darkside Developments which would make the car sit a bit to low for my liking, I know a lot of people will say for the best road holding you need to go low. Any tips will be most welcome.

Hi and welcome. You will find that most if not all aftermarket suspension will be reduced ride height. However, take a look at Koni or Bilstein, if you want coilovers check out BC Racing, all of these setups are in the £900 department, and quite frankly, with 200hp, I wouldn't spend less than. Before you spend your cash, contact the manufacturers and ensure you are getting stock ride height.

I bought BC Racing coilovers for my Fabia and even at max height it's pretty darn low for our roads. BC will make what you want, but go direct to BC UK and not through a middle man, they are tricky to deal with but one hell of a setup, seriously good. If you decide BC, contact me and I'll give you an email address. You won't regret it. 20210426_170616_copy_880x667.jpg

Look very nice, I bet it handles like a totally different car now.
Thank you. It's pretty amazing. The guy who sets it up races Hondas and he thinks I should track day it, but I won't, its too precious. I might blow it or bin it and then I'd have none.... Just finishing the engine side off. I was going to fit a 1.4tsi turbo to it, but many tuning shops won't touch it I recently discovered.

It appears the turbo is not up to much, with only 10 - 15 hp diffence between the 1.2 and the 1.4 Turbos and the 1.4 has a habit of destroying compressor wheels at high boost levels. So I'm going to stick with the 1.2 turbo at 155ish hp and if I do well on my Cryptos I'll treat myself to a JBL hybrid special (£2300 ish) pushing to 200hp.

Fabs it seems to me that you would love to do the odd track day and it's just a matter of driving within capabilities being aware of cars that are faster and keeping out of the way. At my last time attack day my little 200 hp Honda was setting better times than a v8 Maserati ,Golf R and the odd BMW that were way more powerful but driven by first timers.

You don't have to redline in every gear or have the tyres squealing on every corner it if you don't want to just drive it enthusiastically and you will enjoy the experience. Smooth driving can be faster than a more spectacular style.

There are driver training days where an instructor will sit in with you to help you get the best out of both car and self.

Be careful it can become addictive .Been there and still doing and enjoying it @ 82:)

PS wife still doesn't understand why I love competing and driving fast but suffers in silence sometimes :lol:

Hey.... Oh it keeps niggling me, but I guess the extra expense and the worry of something going wrong is too stressful for me. I only have my pension to survive on now and all my extra dosh is tied up in the car so buying track tyres would be the minimum investment I guess. But I so worry about binning it, I'm a pretty hard driver as it is, and I think being on a track would make me push the envelope, that what tracks are for, right... Hahaha....

Oh where would it stop? When I'm flat broke or broken or both.... But yeah I'm intrigued I'll be honest. I may go up to Cadwell this summer and just see how its all set up....

On another note! The 1.4tsi turbo idea has been binned at the last hurdle. Most tuning places will no longer touch them.

Reasons being, they only provide up to 20hp extra but the mapping is not easy for them, and the stock turbo will return 150 - 155 hp as is, so it's not cost effective. Also the 1.4 compressor wheels disintegrate at higher boost pressures.

There is only one company, JBL, who have built their own Hybrid turbo which returns c200hp from this mighty little engine but at £2300 its way out of my price range, and if I was running that much hp from this little engine I would want to be looking at other mods to.... Just to be sure it wasn't going to blow the crank case or head off.... Back into race engineering again. I don't have it in me anymore.

Last week it came to a head. I bought Brembo Max Plus Discs and pads. Thought that would be an easy job for me, do the fronts one day, rears another. Bear in mind it takes what 2.5hours to do the lot in the shop.

I got my tools all laid out, sun shining, I even have an air jack to make it less work on my poorly system. Cracked off the wheel nuts, up in the air and blocked. Removed the first front wheel and almost collapsed. I was stuffed, huffing and puffing like a double header on Shap. Took a breather..... Nope, no good. Struggled to lift the wheel back into place, bolted it up, dropped the car back down and torqued the bolts, struggled to pack the tools away and collapsed on't sofa. I was there 4 hours before I could move again, thought it was going to be a hospital job.

So I think I have come to the end of doing anything myself. Remove and refit a wheel per day does not help anyone.....

Sorry to hear your health is holding you back so look after yourself.

One doesn't grow into old age without acquiring an ailment or 3 along the way and I have my fair share but stay active and go to a gym 3 days a week as well as having to maintain well over 100 yards of hedges on our 2 acres of land and it will be a sad day if we ever have to sell and move to a retirement home like 1 of our good neighbours has done recently.

FYI I am / was a carpenter from 14 and worked on the tools all my life till I retired and them had casual work in a produce store and as a defensive driving instructor for 6 years.

Yes, when it kicks in, it comes with vengeance. I have industry acquired COPD with very damaged lung structures, so even the simplist of tasks is like running a marathon with a 50kg pack on.

21 years ago I acquired Myalgic Encephalopathy or M.E. Coupled with Fibro Myalgia, the two outstanding features of these two beauties are chronic pain everywhere and the most debilitating chronic fatigue.

I only sleep maybe five hours a night but the fatigue is relentless giving you nausea and headaches to boot.

After all these years I've become accustom to it and have learned to manage it fairly well but its the daft things, like wanting to do the odd job myself, the brakes for example.

I keep going as much as possible within my own limits but since hitting 60 there's been a marked decrease in ability and resistance. Recovery times are stretching out too.

I can't complain though, I've had a damn good run, I haven't done as much as some but I definitely have done more than a lot of folk. So I accept my position as payment for an exciting life.... And I'm not quite done yet....

I have asbestos lung damage but fortunately it is stable and it has been monitored closely by my Doctor.

I have asbestos lung damage but fortunately it is stable and it has been monitored closely by my Doctor.
Mine is partly asbestosis, also bronchiectasis, and a lot of metal/rust particles. Spending all my life in the workshops of various engineering industries. So pleased to hear you are stable.