suspension vs, wheel alignemnt then power upgrades?

emery1990

Tuner
Car
A3 1.8T quattro
Ive been thinking about getting new suspension on my quattro but am hasitand because ive heard that the quattro is very good handling already, would just a wheel alignment make it better , i know it does work as ive read it up and that, would a suspension, £400 suspension be much better than what ive already got, or should i spend the £500 on wheel alignment, £100 then dv £80 then intake hose £100 and not sure how much a fmic is,,then finally a remap ?

Well I'll say this £400 won't get you anything any good suspension-wise for an A3.

Personally I'd get the wheel alignment done (might not even need it?), DV etc etc. You can get a good FMIC for about £100, have a search for THS performance, they do a few different styles and all are very good quality.

Just noticed, intake hose...is it gold plated!!??

not for the quattro i doubt it, ive heard the standard a3 fwd isnt much good, heard many good things about suspension upgrades for them,,but a quattro ive heard is good already, probally just get some arbs on it. ohright, forge are just trying to rip people off then,, they do fmic for like £600!, erm i havnt seen a gold plated one,, i wants white tubing :D, ive seen you can make your own, but i cant find any of like the bits that come off the pipe for the dv etc ?

Just noticed, intake hose...is it gold plated!!??
nope its just silicone but alot larger and dosent collapse while the car is being given some!!
this was 1 of the best thing i bought for the simple fact that i kept getting the ecu light coming on every time i would give my car some wellie for about an hour or so and on vag com it would be the same fault pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve (check d.v.!) and the cause was the intake pipe collapsing i havent had the fault since i changed mine:bigsmile:

but emery1990 if you order 1 from forge make sure 100% that its the right 1 before you try and fit it cause they sent the wrong 1 to me 3 times and its not the easiest part to put on due to its location!!!

ok thanks, is it a diy job then, i can see it in my car its up on the right hand corner by the dv yes, also is changing the dv a diy, it looks simple to change it, no hidden difficulties though.

does that fmic on ths for £120 fit all cars and is it just for the intercooler ? not the pipes etc

Oh sorry no it's just for the intercooler, didn't know you meant the pipes as well, that would bump up the price a bit.

Regarding the Forge intercooler, I've had experience with Forge products before and they are very high quality and with good customer service but an intercooler is an intercooler, none are really marginally better than any others of the equivalant size. Intercoolers are universal. You could use the intercooler from an Evo and it would work just fine, for example.

Got a link to this magical intake hose? £100 seems like a rip-off. Boost hoses collapsing is common-place, and even silicone ones can collapse but less likely as they are usually stiffer.

ok thanks, is it a diy job then, i can see it in my car its up on the right hand corner by the dv yes, also is changing the dv a diy, it looks simple to change it, no hidden difficulties though.

yep a diy job for the tip and dv but like i said because its at he back of the engine it isnt the most easiest part to get to but with a little persistence its not to bad

Got a link to this magical intake hose? £100 seems like a rip-off. Boost hoses collapsing is common-place, and even silicone ones can collapse but less likely as they are usually stiffer.

500x333.aspx

well this is the difference between the stock and forge tip and in all honesty £100 is alot of money for what it is but with the extra airflow and the fact it dosent collapse like the standard 1 and give you a ecu light (which you could pay some one £35 just to connect it to a laptop to tell you the same fault code i was getting) i think its worth it

Judging by what you say it does, there's no doubt it's worth the money. Look at how much less restrictive that is! However, I would have a custom one fabbed up out of mild steel (or perhaps stainless) for half the price and metal intake pipes give an eeeevil sound when sucking :bigsmile:

thanks everyone, i didnt relise that was dear, yer i didnt think that an intercooler could be any better than a cheaper one, as for the fabrication, where could i get this done, and would i show them the forge one and ask for a near on replica of that ? is that an easy swap to, it looks quite hard though if i look at the right pipe. yer i got showed the standard one before and yer ive gottta get rid of it !.

problem with the cheaper FMIC is they are set up as striaght through where as i you look at the forge one youll see the both pipes are on the same side.
fitting a FMIC youd need to run the pipe back behind the cooler to get back to the throttle body.
other options are
change the whole setup from the turbo under the engine ( chance of it chatching ) through the RHS of the intercooler and out the LHS ( opposite from normal way of the piping ) then up to the throttle body.
or
get the intake manifold off the 225 TT or S3 as the throttle body is on the other side