supra

Qball

Hey, i was firstly wondering is there any differance between the turbo supra and non turbo supras engine? if u were to buy both, and completly replace the turbos and have everything the same (besides the actual engine block) would there b nemore chance of the non turbo engine blowing up or producing less power?.

Secondly, what kind of power would be reasonable to get out of a 3litre supra engine once modded?

Ok My Non expert gut feeling for now!

The non turbo engine will be a higher compression than the turbo so it will not appreciate having a turbo stuck on it at all unless the compression was lower.

The Supras are fantastic cars - one of the most reliable sub 4 sec to 60 supercars around. They seem to hold there value well. I've seen turbo models tweaked to over 700bhp but we are talking major internal mods and a big turbo conversion. I'll do a bit of research for you and see if my hunch is right.

Welcome to the site - are you planning on getting a Supra then? Or are you just curious about them?

well definatly curious, possiably will buy one, im out of money atm, as im a student at uni, however getting a job and im a good saver. lol. im proly looking at buying a car in a year or 2.
i want somthing reliable somthing i can mod, look nice, my first thought however was a mazda rx7, however because they are import and rotary ive been advised that they are rather exspensive to mod repair n such.
I would b happy making a supra to about 500bhp, i want to do amiture drifting, dragging and such, however i want this to b a road car aswell.
There are defintly a lot of questions i have about moding cars, what u can and cant do, im studying mechanical engineering, first year atm though. But it makes me curious of the possibiliaties, such as duel cam... well.. some fuel effcient road cam bellow 3k revs and some high performance above 3k rev, is that possiable? i read somthing about a simelar thing being in a honda somthing. i think.

Any good websites and information would b greatly appreciated, im the kinda person who loves to be fully informed before making decisions like this :p Ive got a year or so to gather my information lol

Vtecs are pretty much Honda only. Rover did something clever with the VVC engine. A remap would probably be better than a cam mod for low down economy.

On the supra slap in a laggy big turbo and you create 2 cars - an economical(ish) daily runner and real flame spitting drag racing monster.

That was kind of my idea, lol, i dont know the prices but i was considering everything.
like the duel cam, remap ecu or watever that is, big turbo to kick in around the 3k rev mark, although will the big turbo create much backward pressure to screw up low end torque? although i want it economical i dont want it exstreamly slow in the first 3k rev range?

There are some clever setups now with a small initial turbo and larger secondary. A good wastegate controller can bypass the turbo at lower rev levels. Look around for Boost Controllers and wastegate controllers.

It definatly will all b considerd once i actuly get a supra, or unless i change my mind and get somthing else lol...after all a year is a long time.

hey dude i love u man not in a gay way but just cause u love supras :D ha

the NA engine is the same block it even has the indentation for oil return for the turbos however its not drilled in obviously cause there is no turbos. the crank and bearins rods are the same to the best of my knowledge but the pistons are different the TT has lower comp pistons. the compresions are as follows TT 8.5:1 NA 10:1
the NA engine will run a turbo with a NA-t kit on low boost (bout 6-8psi) reliably and that should give you around 300-340hp the reason for the reliability of this is the MHG from standard, how ever it is very thin....
people have been putting 2.5mm MHG's on the NA engine to lower the comp the the same as the TT and reliably run over 500hp on a big single. hope that helps u any more questions ask me i should hopefully be able to answer you :D

Hey I was looking into a Supra for a while but insurance was crazy.

I know the 500hp number is nice but the things you would need to change is crazy. your talking £5000 for the externals to be changed and uprated like drive shafts, gearbox, diff, suspension, brakes and your pants when you put your foot down. With a nice 350hp you will have some crazy straight line speed but also a nice compromise as you could keep the twin turbo instead of changing it to a single as the twin will keep the lower power stable and also have a sharper throttle response. Remember though these cars are heavy and anything you could get rid of or lighten would be helpful to the fun factor.

www.suprastore.com

amazing website for modding supras, turbo or non-turbo.
only problem its a US company but they ship anywhere.
they have packages to take your car upto 350hp all the way upto 1500hp if youve got over $40000 to spare.

I see you've done quite a bit to yours Jonathanlythe. (Welcome to TorqueCars, good to have you along, you are in good company here!)