Superchips/Powerchips - Are they any good?

Mojo323

Car
Focus 2.0L Zetec
I've started trying to improve my 2.0l zetec (mk1) and I've been looking at the ecu modding options like powerchips and superchips, both claim to offer up to a 10% increase in BHP and torque for around £220. This sounds a little too good to be true, I'm sure there must be a downside or everyone would do it especially since an induction kit or sports exhaust wouldn't give you 10% and they can cost more. I would be really interested to hear the opinions of anyone who has done this to any car.

Thanks guys.

superchips have more or less came the main name when it came to chipping cars.

nowadays, post 99, most cars can have the ECU mapped without taking it out.
its not really that benifitial on a nasp car as youve found out 8-10 bhp on a 2ltr now compare this to a turbo where your looking 30-40 bhp.

if you do decide to go for the remap. get the other modifications done first - cold air intake, exhaust manifold, sports cat, exhaust, cam etc them get a custom map done for you.

As with any modifications they can do damage to the car but if you follow simple guidlines them theres no real issues. simple things like - dont twat it from cold, keep the servicing up to date

I've started trying to improve my 2.0l zetec (mk1) and I've been looking at the ecu modding options like powerchips and superchips, both claim to offer up to a 10% increase in BHP and torque for around £220. This sounds a little too good to be true, I'm sure there must be a downside or everyone would do it especially since an induction kit or sports exhaust wouldn't give you 10% and they can cost more. I would be really interested to hear the opinions of anyone who has done this to any car.
Thanks guys.

Yes,
when used from reputable companies (and the two you mentioned are some of the good ones) they work and are good. I don't think there are any downsides.
Maybe some stipulate the use of 98UL. They also assume the car engine is in good condition and serviced regularly.

They work best when combined with an improved intake system and exhaust. This would certainly give you 10% increase not only in peak power but a similar 10-15% improvement right throughout the rev range from 1000-1500rpm or so.
The hand-held flash-tuners are particularly good as most allow at least two different stages of power, rev-limit adjustment, auto-trans re-calibration to firm up the shifts If fitted with an auto-box) re-cal if fitting different diff ratios and tyre sizes etc and a few even allow you to scan,log & clear DTC's. :)

Yeah same as already said really Superchips have been around for years and are very very popular. Just make sure all the engine mods are done first and you'll be fine buddy.

Thanks for your answers, it confirmed what I thought, just wanted to check in case it was sure to blow the engine. Already have a Pipercross Viper fitted, and I change oil/filter/plugs etc every 5000 miles or less, so I'll probably try getting one of those bluefin superchip handsets in time for summer. If it gives even half the promised 13bhp/16nm It would be worth it.

i have the 2.0 406 coupe. cat back powerflow and enclosed induction kit.
with the superchip, a noticeable more responsive throttle and smoother engine through the rev range and, a little quicker on acceleration but not seat of the pants stuff. the bonus much better fuel economy and, imho well worth doing :D hth.

i have the 2.0 406 coupe. cat back powerflow and enclosed induction kit.
with the superchip, a noticeable more responsive throttle and smoother engine through the rev range and, a little quicker on acceleration but not seat of the pants stuff. the bonus much better fuel economy and, imho well worth doing :D hth.

That's good news about fuel economy, with 98RON going above £1 and the induction kit hitting my MPG hard, I may get it done sooner rather than later

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back