Supercharging

superted

Car
106 GTI
Hi guys,

I'm looking into suercharging my 106 gti using a Eaton M62 blower. I'm aware this is slightly overkill (recommend for 2.0 & above)
The 106 is a 1.6 16v running 120bhp.
I'm having trouble working out the correct figures, the bottom engine pully is 113mm & the charger is 100mm I'd idealy like to keep the factory pully on the charger but believe if I do it'l run too slow & not in its ideal rpm range.
I've no idea how much power I can expect from this charger & while reading round the web I keep coming up with different answers.

Lots of help would be greatful

Thanks

You probably see a conservative 150bhp, but the real impact will be torque gains across the whole rev range. Going mad with it could well mess up the overall drivability of the car, which totally defeats the object of the exercise.

I'm no expert at this kind of work - I'll leave the experienced tuners to advise on this. The choice of pulley sizes (which, as you explain, will directly influence the crank speed to supercharger speed ratio) is a fine art as much as it is a science. There are many factors to consider.

Good luck and keep us posted on this - it's nice to see someone who is approaching things systematically.

There's a veritable wealth of opinions available within this forum and in general you will in all probability get better quality information here than you'll get by a simple internet-wide search.

Why have you chosen the M62? I would have thought it would need to be underdriven to work well on a 1.6 engine. Have you looked at the Rotrex range of superchargers?

How are you planning to alter the timing and mapping in the ECU? This will need to be carefully setup.

hi guys sorry for the late reply.

Very simply I already had the charger from another, aborted engine coversion (3.0 v6 in a 306).
Thats the only real reason, I did look at the m45's but as far as I know they dont run the clutched pulley that I thought would be useful for setting up.

Might be worth having a chat with Matt Jobling of Pug1Off in Brackley. He's the closest to a Peugeot God I've yet encountered. 01280 701919

My relationship with Pug1Off is a simple one - he's serviced and maintained our car(s) for the last 5-6 years. Only one was a Peugeot, in this case a 406 2.2 HDi. The other two:- Seat Ibiza 1.9D and BMW E39 528i.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are going to be throwing money at scrapyards for gearboxs, there awful my m8 turbo'd his gti an on average he went thru a box evry 18 days!!!!!!!

From my calculations, with the standard pulleys you would be looking at 170 hp~ and 150 lb/ft~
that's using the standard compression ratio of 10.8:1 and at a engine pressure ratio 1.8

which would mean really you would need to reduce the compression ratio so you don't get unwanted engine detonation but also means that theoretical power down nearer 150,

like I said it is thoretical at the moment but it should give you some idea of what to expect, but if i have read the compressor map correctly for the supercharger running at such a low level is kind of out of it's most efficient operating range, you need to lower the compression and get a smaller pulley of around 70 mm which will give a drive ratio of 1.61 and engine pressure of 2.88 on a engine compression of 9.5:1 which will give close to 200 hp

drive ratio is your engine bottom pulley size divided by supercharger pulley size in this case 70 mm,

How much power are you aiming for?

Last edited: