Supercharger set up

projectbimmers

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ti m44
So as some of you may know. I am about to embark on a new journey to try to install an AMR500 supercharger on my bmw m44 1.9L motor.

First time Im attempting this type of install so I am in the researching phase. I decided on the supercharger route because it seems to be the less involved route to go as far as installing. A turbocharger would have been a lot to do and learn for my 1st time.

The AMR500 is the platform I decided to try out because its small. will fit in my engine bay with minimal mods, I can run it with stock internals, etc.

I only expect to see a moderate 5 to 6psi at most with this set up and the goal is not for race or drift applications at all. I just want the car to be faster and more fun for me to drive. Right now its not quick off the line and I have no acceleration power to have any passing fun on the highway. Im tired of getting passed by Honda Oddyseys....lol

Now my 1st issue is the crank case ventilation valve. I was told that I should "ventilate to atmosphere", or run a catch can. Problem is, I dont know exactly what that means enough to understand why Im doin it. Also in my search I find oil catch cans and breathers are not the same thing so Im not even sure which one I need. This type of thing brings me to this forum.

I was also told I need a quad spark ignition module and possibly larger injector OR fuel pressure regulator, engine management I was going to use a microsquirt set up. All my research says that would work out..

Am I even on the right track, guys?

catch can does nothing other than stop oil in the breather tube depositing itself in places you dont want it.

anything that makes the spark better is not a bad thing but I cant see why you NEED a quad sparking module thingy thats assuming your system is good at the moment.

fuel injectors and prssure regulators do completely different things .Injectors will only flow a certain amount of fuel regarless of pressure. If you need more fuel (likely) your injectors may be able to cope cope - it depends how hard they are working now. If not then yes you will need injectors
A fuel pressure regualtor cant increase fuel only it can only decrease it. If your pump cant keep up with the new set ups needs you will need a new pump and then you might need a pressure regulator

What you will need for sure is an engine management system you can tune to the new set up.

catch can does nothing other than stop oil in the breather tube depositing itself in places you dont want it.

anything that makes the spark better is not a bad thing but I cant see why you NEED a quad sparking module thingy thats assuming your system is good at the moment.

fuel injectors and prssure regulators do completely different things .Injectors will only flow a certain amount of fuel regarless of pressure. If you need more fuel (likely) your injectors may be able to cope cope - it depends how hard they are working now. If not then yes you will need injectors
A fuel pressure regualtor cant increase fuel only it can only decrease it. If your pump cant keep up with the new set ups needs you will need a new pump and then you might need a pressure regulator

What you will need for sure is an engine management system you can tune to the new set up.
thanks. that was helpful for sure.

NB: The quad spark plugs still only make 1 spark, the electricity chooses the path of least resistance so will only jump over one gap, it's the same with splits Y electrodes and the like.

Ok so to keep all my threads goin...I just got the supercharger and custom brackets, pulleys, manifold, and belts. Now on to some more researching to make this all work out nice. Remember guys, I'm not building a race car. Just a car that's quicker and fun to drive on daily commutes. I want a comfortable ride to get me around and I want my first build under my belt.image-2.jpgimage-1.jpg

I admire your passion, and you certainly seem to be able to splash the cash. It looks as if you have a "Bolt and Go" set up, is that correct? If so then half your battle is won. I presume the charger is large enough to provide the charge you need, yes? You will need an inlet system with a plenum chamber which is the same capacity as the motor...with a blow off valve. This could be an oversized inlet hard hose. Or use the existing one. You will need to research what's available and what you can squeeze in. You will most certainly need a quality front mounted intercooler, plus all the plumbing. Please make sure the compressor has the correct type and amount of oil in it before you run it up, and don't be tempted to do a test run before you have had the car on a dyno, it could be catastrophic. Install a good quality exhaust which is not overbore, you need a good balance between gas flow and gas scavenging, you need to get the gasses out quickly. If the system is overbore gas flow will slow down too much and cause problems. A decent set of headers and a sports cat (if required) or decat if possible will go a long way. Your standard injectors, if in good condition will get you going, perhaps once set up you can look at larger but you said you don't want to race..... Yeah right you will, honest, anyway, see how the pennies go. Engine management is essential, go talk to the guys who do it day in, day out, go visit some rolling road tuners.... Ask. Once you are running consider water injection, there are some fantastic kits available nowadays, and it will help to cool the charge down. I say this because compressing air creates heat, lots of heat, and it's your enemy, and water injection takes the edge off, gives a better cleaner combustion cycle to, releasing more power, and upping your efficency to boot, more mpg..... Take your time, don't try and do it all in a weekend. Get it right and it will reward you, get it wrong and it will be extremely expensive and soul destroying. I once sat on the side of the road with part of a camshaft in one hand, and the remains of a conrod, with half a piston attached, sobbing. It went very badly indeed..... But that was forty years ago in South Australia. Best of luck.

I admire your passion, and you certainly seem to be able to splash the cash. It looks as if you have a "Bolt and Go" set up, is that correct? If so then half your battle is won. I presume the charger is large enough to provide the charge you need, yes? You will need an inlet system with a plenum chamber which is the same capacity as the motor...with a blow off valve. This could be an oversized inlet hard hose. Or use the existing one. You will need to research what's available and what you can squeeze in. You will most certainly need a quality front mounted intercooler, plus all the plumbing. Please make sure the compressor has the correct type and amount of oil in it before you run it up, and don't be tempted to do a test run before you have had the car on a dyno, it could be catastrophic. Install a good quality exhaust which is not overbore, you need a good balance between gas flow and gas scavenging, you need to get the gasses out quickly. If the system is overbore gas flow will slow down too much and cause problems. A decent set of headers and a sports cat (if required) or decat if possible will go a long way. Your standard injectors, if in good condition will get you going, perhaps once set up you can look at larger but you said you don't want to race..... Yeah right you will, honest, anyway, see how the pennies go. Engine management is essential, go talk to the guys who do it day in, day out, go visit some rolling road tuners.... Ask. Once you are running consider water injection, there are some fantastic kits available nowadays, and it will help to cool the charge down. I say this because compressing air creates heat, lots of heat, and it's your enemy, and water injection takes the edge off, gives a better cleaner combustion cycle to, releasing more power, and upping your efficency to boot, more mpg..... Take your time, don't try and do it all in a weekend. Get it right and it will reward you, get it wrong and it will be extremely expensive and soul destroying. I once sat on the side of the road with part of a camshaft in one hand, and the remains of a conrod, with half a piston attached, sobbing. It went very badly indeed..... But that was forty years ago in South Australia. Best of luck.
I can just hear all of the experience oozing out of u. I love learning from ppl who have been there several times over but still have the patience to help out a newbie. Some forums I have been too are full of jerks who just live to tear ppl down

I can just hear all of the experience oozing out of u. I love learning from ppl who have been there several times over but still have the patience to help out a newbie. Some forums I have been too are full of jerks who just live to tear ppl down
The door is always open...... It occurred to me, there's a book I had many years ago, but having quick look about I couldn't find it, however there are a few excellent looking books available. I suggest you peruse the net for books on Supercharging and Turbocharging, they usually lump them together under forced induction.... Choose carefully and you will find a wealth of information and knowledge.