Supercharger or turbo

srm238

Wrench Pro
Car
97 honda prelude
Hi, i was just wondering what i should start off doing to my 97 prelude to allow for a supercharger or a turbo... im looking to get about 250 or more horse... and its pretty much stock with a cold air intake (not short ram)... also does anyone know anything about Nitrous? or can give me advice on any other tuning tips? Thanks alot. Hope to hear from you soon

Hi there mate and welcome to TorqueCars. This sounds like a thread for Prevtec if ever I saw one.

250 extra ponies is quite a tall order. How much are you looking to spend on it?

Where's Prevtec? He'll get your sorted. I agree its more satisfying modding a car than just buying one with the power. Its also a lot more time consuming;)

im here waynne ha, just a busy weekend

hi smr238, welcome to tc
is your prelude a vtec?? if so you'll achieve that hp very easy
if not, would you concider a engine swap?? the 2.2 vtec is something like 220 - 225 bhp
prince is the man about swaps, but out of 5 grand, you'll get an engine, gearbox and ecu for under 2 grand, that means you have 3 grand to pump up the horses
when i get work im aiming for 270 bhp, this can be done without forced induction, il send you a clip later

as CB said, buy a car that will have the suspension and all that jazz
no need, all preludes come with double wishbone suspension = very good for handling high speed cornering and you can get a bushing kit from the states for 140 dollars shipped, this makes the car totally tight and presission

let me know what engine size you have, but definatly start on a h22a vtec, its the most powerfull engine out of all the preludes and alone should put a big smile on your face

im here waynne ha, just a busy weekend

hi smr238, welcome to tc
is your prelude a vtec?? if so you'll achieve that hp very easy
if not, would you concider a engine swap?? the 2.2 vtec is something like 220 - 225 bhp
prince is the man about swaps, but out of 5 grand, you'll get an engine, gearbox and ecu for under 2 grand, that means you have 3 grand to pump up the horses
when i get work im aiming for 270 bhp, this can be done without forced induction, il send you a clip later

as CB said, buy a car that will have the suspension and all that jazz
no need, all preludes come with double wishbone suspension = very good for handling high speed cornering and you can get a bushing kit from the states for 140 dollars shipped, this makes the car totally tight and presission

let me know what engine size you have, but definatly start on a h22a vtec, its the most powerfull engine out of all the preludes and alone should put a big smile on your face

Yes i have the h22a vtec... and yes it does put a smile on my face!!... should i be considering an ecu... also i know someone who put a 1/2 a shot of nitrous in his stock prelude and claims to have ran it for 50,000 km with out hurting his engine at all (could i consider this?)... i would like to stay away from anything that could hurt my engine and try and get as much horse out of it (possibly strengthen it) without or before going to forced induction. Also my next mod for right now before anything big is going to be headers and exhaust. Is that a good idea or what should my next mod be? and does anyone know any good websites? or should i be buying from a local dealer? and should i be getting a 4-2-1 exhaust? sorry about all the questions and thanks for all the advice everyone

about the nos = 50,000km, is it worth it?? i wouldnt anyway
nor forced induction
the above list i wrote is what jun has done, hondas are best kept N/A, japs know better
supercharge if anything as honda engines dont like the sudden whoom
they run better with the power gradually kicking in, in a turbo or nos its just grand before hand then bang, loads of power, not good for vtecs

well thats a good start smr, shes the si vtec model so
how i plan to do mine is

4-2-1 stainless steel manifold and exhaust
ht leads
iridium plugs
high lift cams
bigger injectors
and a chipped ecu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Dm-tvAXYM know what i mean

so if i do all of this ill be around 270 horse? or sorry i guess im still a newbie, but what does ht leads mean? Also that vid was awesome but did they do something to the engine to give it a higher redline (the guy went through the redline alot)?

about the nos = 50,000km, is it worth it?? i wouldnt anyway
nor forced induction
the above list i wrote is what jun has done, hondas are best kept N/A, japs know better
supercharge if anything as honda engines dont like the sudden whoom
they run better with the power gradually kicking in, in a turbo or nos its just grand before hand then bang, loads of power, not good for vtecs

sounds good i was trying to stay away from forced induction if i could to achieve my horse power. maby far in the future ill consider a supercharger then, but ill see how far i can get with engine bolt ons for now. Also intercooler? is that a good idea?

We never close threads. Unless they get out of hand. This has only happened once! Feel free to post in this or any other "old" thread you find.;)

Jap import im pretty sure...

Nice one mate. Hitting your bhp target can be achieved quite nicely then. Stick with Prevtec's advice as he's the Prelude man around here. As for supercharger or turbo...I would supercharge it mate. Vtecs seem to respond better to supercharging, plus it's constant power with no lag.

so if i do all of this ill be around 270 horse? or sorry i guess im still a newbie, but what does ht leads mean? Also that vid was awesome but did they do something to the engine to give it a higher redline (the guy went through the redline alot)?
HT leads are high tempeture leads i think, they give a hotter spark = better performance, all mods are better when put with each other, on their own dont make a huge differance

the redline is increased in the video because he tuned the car that way via the ecu

High tension actually - referring to the high voltage they carry;)

They go between the spark plugs and the coil.

High tension actually - referring to the high voltage they carry;)

They go between the spark plugs and the coil.
i was on the same track though mate,
the voltage hits the plug, higher voltage means you can get plugs that put up with hotter tempetures, example

pr-f11-k20 thats the plug i use according to maufactors
the k = temp, so am i right in saying with ht leads i can use hotter plugs??:D like maybe a k25??

umm i took my car to honda to replace a leaky gasket and to get my oil changed. they did everything and said my engine is looking great. on the drive home i noticed that the check engine light was on... what would cause this problem?

umm i took my car to honda to replace a leaky gasket and to get my oil changed. they did everything and said my engine is looking great. on the drive home i noticed that the check engine light was on... what would cause this problem?
a million in 1 things mate, bring it back to honda and tell them it wasent there before

i know they changed the oil, but check the level anyway, you never know, some dope mightened have tied the sump bolt properly,

it could be anyone of the many many sensors that are on the engine.
like prevec says take it back and tell them about it - it came on a couple of miles down the road sorta idea

i remember mine came on before, hadent got a clue what it was,
it turned out to be a small skinny hose came loose from the aircon pipes, i actually knocked it off when i took apart the rocker cover for painting,

but honda should fix it, no matter what
is the car driving ok for you mate??? if so, could be something stupid like what happened me

ya it drives perfectly fine. we were just putting wires through for wiring my sound system, we probably just knocked something... but ya ill have to upload the pics when im done its taking so much time.. lol

i was just wondering if anyone can recommend a certain type of headers and exhaust for a honda prelude? i heard greddy makes good ones.. but someone told me that they were going bankrupt... and how much horse power giains can i expect?

Exhausts can give anywhere between about 5-20 bhp. Spoon probably do a system for Preludes. You could always go custom?
thats true mate, ive always wanted the exhaust coming out the side of the car, a bit like the ford mustang cobra svt = the 1 in fast and furious that gets crushed by the 2 artic trucks

i first noticed this car in gran turismo, buy 1 and tune it to death and see what happenes:D

do you lose horse power or not get as much gains if you get high lift cams and headers?
headers are grand, its high lift cams that are a q
supposidly you lose low end torque with them, their usally good for track racing where you'll be in the high rev range anyway

get all these things done first, then last get the ecu tuned, this will allow for the car to have good low end torque aswell as a faster, stonger pull in the high rev range

my prelude is 195 horse stock... and i have cold air intake... so im looking at 205 maby.... how much more gains would i get with the headers, exaust and high lift cams?

I have a 1994 Prelude SRV
-Upgraded injectors
-Stage one cams
-Hondata s100 chip
-dc sport header
-magnaflow catback exhaust
-AEM Cold Air Intake
My car on a mustang dyno was 262hp its a VTEC(190 PS[187hp] stock, regardless of peoples posts of 202-225)

I have a 1994 Prelude SRV
-Upgraded injectors
-Stage one cams
-Hondata s100 chip
-dc sport header
-magnaflow catback exhaust
-AEM Cold Air Intake
My car on a mustang dyno was 262hp its a VTEC(190 PS[187hp] stock, regardless of peoples posts of 202-225)
welcome to tc mate,

the jap import h22a prelude has a lot more power than 187bhp:D
trust me, ive owned type rs and sohc vtecs in the past, the jap prelude is way over 200 bhp standard

so i live in canada and its been minus forty lately... i warmed up to minus 3 today it was pretty nice and i was driving my prelude around i was passing someone on and i noticed the vtec didnt kick in (2nd gear).... but it always works.... so i went past 5300 rpms again (still in second gear) and it still didnt work.... then i went on the i highway and put it in third and it worked.... then vtec worked for the all the other times i tried it... would the lack of driving of my car because of the cold weather cause this?