Supercharger options for 03 elantra gls A/T

Car
2003 Elantra GLS
Need your input, guys:

Alpine Performance stopped making superchargers for Hyundai/Kia 4cyl engines after the world's economy took a dump on every1, but on their site i read that they used the Eaton MP45 supercharger as a platform. This IS the same Eaton used on the Mini Coopers, right? So my first question is for the fabrication gurus: is it possible for a person to modify either the MP45 itself, or the intake manifold, to get the Mini SC to work on the Elantra?

I also, while reading/YouTubing about the MP45, found the Sprintex company out of Australia. At SEMA in 2011, they revealed a new SC they developed for the Mini. They have supercharger systems for the Tuscan, Accent and Jazz (known as the Honda Fit over here). So my 2nd question: would this be a good candidate? need to figure out where to buy one of these, or even a used Alpine SC.

3rd question: Have any of you guys, especially the KDM (Hyundai/Kia) crowd tried any supercharging, personally, or know anyone that has?

Tommy, where would I order it from? The company closed and I've come up with zilch doing web searches. I DID come up on alot of mini superchargers in my searches and some are as low as $600 but with no kit, just the charger. I'll look again now, tho. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tommy, where would I order it from? The company closed and I've come up with zilch doing web searches. I DID come up on alot of mini superchargers in my searches and some are as low as $600 but with no kit, just the charger. I'll look again now, tho. Thanks for the suggestion.

http://www.alpine-developments.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:hyundaikia-20-4cyl-super-charger-kit&catid=35:hyundai--kia&Itemid=66
click contact them and inquire about it. Can't hurt. If that doesn't work, I suggest getting an Eaton M62 supercharger (from a Chevy Cobalt SS or Saturn Ion Redline) and getting a custom made intake manifold at a local performance/machine shop.

did the search...

first was EEEEE!-bay: only had those stupid electrical ones that DONT work. That myth been busted long time.

next was Google: found supercharger PULLEYS, but no supercharger.

Looked up other forums: apparently only 3 Alpine superchargers were sold originally in the US and only one ended up in an Elantra. It's passed hands 3 times so far and from the reports still works.

ANY ANSWERS ON MODIFYING THE EATON MG45? You can find those for $600+ rebuilt on ebay.

http://www.alpine-developments.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:hyundaikia-20-4cyl-super-charger-kit&catid=35:hyundai--kia&Itemid=66
click contact them and inquire about it. Can't hurt. If that doesn't work, I suggest getting an Eaton M62 supercharger (from a Chevy Cobalt SS or Saturn Ion Redline) and getting a custom made intake manifold at a local performance/machine shop.

one of my clients has a machine shop and does alot of automotive stuff, so that MIGHT work. I'll look up the Cobalt and Saturn superchargers.
THANX!:bigsmile:

looked at the choices suggested. may not fit. the cobalt's sits at the front of the engine bay (engine headers facing the firewall, right? backwards). more space up front.

The elantra's intake is at the back, maybe 5" from the firewall.

there'd be alot of machining and modding to get that to fit, on top of getting a different hood.

Still thinking the Mini's is the better choice, but I'll go do more research over the weekend.

ThankX

looked at the choices suggested. may not fit. the cobalt's sits at the front of the engine bay (engine headers facing the firewall, right? backwards). more space up front.

The elantra's intake is at the back, maybe 5" from the firewall.

there'd be alot of machining and modding to get that to fit, on top of getting a different hood.

Still thinking the Mini's is the better choice, but I'll go do more research over the weekend.

ThankX

You DO know the Mini Cooper S used the same supercharger as the Cobalt and Ion, right? It can be placed on either side. The ecotec engine intake just happens to be on the front of the engine. I recently saw a guy put on of the Cobalt Eaton superchargers on a 2.5L I5 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit (MK5 Golf).

I haven't looked into computer tuning for the Hyundai Elantra, so you may also wanna look into that or a piggyback ECU.

I try to keep up to date with performance options for most US market cars. It's just impossible to keep up with ALL of them.

You DO know the Mini Cooper S used the same supercharger as the Cobalt and Ion, right? It can be placed on either side. The ecotec engine intake just happens to be on the front of the engine. I recently saw a guy put on of the Cobalt Eaton superchargers on a 2.5L I5 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit (MK5 Golf).

The only thing the mini and the cobalt supercharger have in common is that they are both Eaton M45s, they do however use completely different castings. Mercedes also make 2 different types of M45 Superchargers.
So, there are 4 different designs to choose from, just use the one that will be easiest for you to fabricate brackets and pipework for.

Last edited by a moderator:
read some more about using Eaton MR45's and it seems that folks with MR2's and 1.6 Accents (in Australia) either used or talked about using either the Mini OR the Cobalt/Ion 62. I want to go with the one that takes up the LEAST room to make it easier for whatever cutting, welding, and fitting needs to be done to get it to work.

and instead of custom modding the intake manifold as I suspected I needed to do, one pic showed a pipe with a plate at the bottom of the supercharger going straight into the the intake manifold.

My idea for now is kind of similar to that: Dual induction, natural and forced, going into the manifold through the same port with this figuration:

filter to throttle body

throttle body to welded piping and plate under supercharger

welded piping and plate under supercharger to intake manifold (might bore the inlet too)

would this work?

Yes, that's how it should be done, but I would strongly recommend some sort of charge cooling between the Supercharger and Inlet manifold

now i'm stumped....

I've seen how they do it with the front-mount intercooler on turbos, but I'm still limited in knowledge about mechanics and modding, honestly. Is there a sticky for that?

Heard back from the Sales Rep @ Sprintex superchargers. He said that they can provide the supercharger ITSELF, so there isn't a direct fitment set for the 03.

So the bottom line is, whether you use a donor from GM or Merc, or a universal one like Sprintex, you will have to do some custom fitting to get it to work. The important thing is that it IS possible, and I believe it is well worth it as an application for any XD A/T Elantra.

Some may say "buy a faster car" but I'd rather earn an inch than buy someone else's ft.

UPDATE: I got an email from a guy who's been installing both the Eaton M62 and the M90 into popular applications, and is modifying M62s for 4 cylinder cars. The only issues he mentioned were firewall clearance and PS belt fitment. An intercooler and a 5th injector to cool discharge was also suggested.

I did some more YouTube research and found that some MX5 owners are throwing the Mini superchargers in their cars.

I will get my shopping list together and hunt down the parts needed.

I've fitted an m45 onto a fiat marea 20valve, a mazda mx5 engined triumph herald and of course my volvo.

Fiat:

Herald:

Volvo:

Last edited:
Can I please message you on how to go about sourcing the parts, what would be needed, and how to route the setup? The first one looks like what would work, only if we turned it 180 degrees counter-clockwise (Elantra exhaust manifold is at the front).

I will not be messing with the engine's internals, so no high-boost setup. But I WILL take the advice of running the charge cooler since yoour setups, plus 2 other people suggested it.

QUESTION: In your opinions, which would be better for an automatic dohc car? Turbo or SC? And why? Also, which does best with stock compression, or as little engine modifications as possible?

I was recently going back-n-forth with a gentleman who is making supercharger systems from rebuilt M62's for around $2000. That takes the hassle out of finding the bits-n-pieces and wondering how they'd fit or connect.

A modified M90 wouldn't be bad either. just needs figuring out. I need to get my hands on a shell to test how I'm going to fit it.

hmmmm......

Yes, that's how it should be done, but I would strongly recommend some sort of charge cooling between the Supercharger and Inlet manifold

by charge cooling, you mean intercooling? I'm thinking of low boost. Not doing quarter mile runs; just need quicker-than-present acceleration and torque to deal with the daily-driving traffic and hauling power for the toys being installed in the car.

You MAY find the Eaton M90 supercharger to be more trouble than it's worth. It's a bigger supercharger meant for bigger engines. That supercharger was used on GM's 3.8L supercharged V6 and Ford's 3.8L supercharged V6. I still say stick to an Eaton M62 from a Cobalt SS, or Ion Redline. The bigger supercharger requires more torque just to spin, which multiplies the inherent parasitic effect of the supercharger. I would NOT use the M90 unless you're going to rebuild it into a race engine. You wouldn't take the supercharger for a 1,000 HP top fuel dragster and put it on a Mini Cooper's 1.6L, would you?

Now. My opinions. Personally, I find turbochargers are better in my opinion for automatic cars. There's no loss of boost between shifting. The problem is that turbochargers are harsh on engines and aren't good on engines that are otherwise bone stock. Superchargers do better on stock compression. I don't mean power-wise, but with regard to how the engine can take it. Superchargers in general are much less abusive to an engine and seem to be more reliable when strapped to a non-forced induction engine.

M62 it is then. Also it sounds like SC is the way to go for stock compression. I'll do my exhaust and header work first (quicker to buy/install) and then get to supercharging. saw someone on youtube install one on a civic. my H not being straight isn't a good excuse not to try, too.

I've heard that supercharging raises engine temperature. Does that only happen with high-boost setups, or does it also happen with stock compression?

It raises the temperature regardless. You're forcing the engine to do more work and use more energy. Excess energy is given off as heat.
This is why it's usually also recommended that you upgrade the cooling system, even slightly. Make sure you get a colder thermostat and colder spark plugs as well to help it, but I heavily recommend also intercooling it to help.

With it being an Eaton roots type supercharger, there is a lot more heat (though trust me the car won't overheat). Roots type superchargers are cheap and plentiful but they are also the least efficient. Roots type blowers generate more heat than other blower types almost necessitating the installation of an intercooler. The Cobalt SS, and Ion Redline came from the factory with a water to air intercooler as part of the intake manifold that the supercharger mounts to.

There are 2 other types of superchargers.

First is the Twin-screw supercharger. The Twin screw supercharger is a new type of the roots type. Instead of interlocking lobes, like the roots type, the twin screw uses interlocking twin screws. This results in a higher pitched whine and the twin screw makes less heat than a roots type. The Twin Screw type blower was used by Volkswagen on the Corrado G60. They still produce a good amount of heat and are still considered inefficient compared to a turbo.

The last type is the centrifugal supercharger. This is essentially a turbocharger driven by the crank rather than the exhaust. It is the most efficient of all supercharger types, but still not as efficient as a turbo. The Centrifugal supercharger was offered by TRD as a dealer-installed option on the first generation Scion tC, boosting output from 160 to 200 HP.

Last edited:
I'm new to alot of this so what exactly is a roots type? I'm gonna research all 3 SC types (I'm all over the place with this... was thinking of the M62 as an affordable option, but now that you mentioned the centrifugal sc, it seems like a more efficient option). Am I understanding it right if I say that it's more efficient because it's connected to the root source of the power (crank) rather than being parasitic from a secondary source (pulley)?

I'm also going to research the tC's SC config and cooling setup to see if that'll work on the elantra. what's the damage ($$$$) on one of those?

Last edited:
The roots type supercharger is the one everyone thinks of when you mention a supercharger. It's the first design and most well-proven. It operated via interlocking lobes spinning in opposite directions. Here's an animation of the LSJ engine as used in the Cobalt SS and Saturn Ion Redline to illustrate what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14MaYSMPc1c

The Roots type blower was actually never designed for car engines in the first place. It was originally designed to force clean air into mineshafts for the miners. All it is is an air pump.

The TRD centrifugal supercharger for the 2005-2007 Scion tC was actually a rebadged Vortech supercharger. The reason it was discontinued after the 2007 model year is Toyota kept having problems with the kit blowing superchargers frequently and often. The culprit is cheap bearings. The bearings should be replaced with ceramic ball bearings and then it can be counted as reliable. Here's a video I found on a Scion tC's supercharger setup and the rebuild it required:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRE_7eFQli0
The kit can be found fairly cheap used, but I strongly recommend ordering new bearings from superchargedscions dot com and replacing them to be on the safe side.

All supercharger setups generally cost about the same, so it's all a matter of preference. Centrifugal chargers, while cool, aren't my cup of tea as they're too quiet, and twin screws are too loud in my opinion. I prefer roots type blowers simply due to the noise.
Roots Type Supercharger noise
Twin Screw Type Supercharger noise

VERY helpful. Thanks!

Before I saw this reply, I looked up the Scion's SC and took one look at it and said to myself, "That looks like a turbo blower. I wonder if anyone dared to......, nahhhh!!"

The dismissed idea was confirmed. Look HERE at how one guy did it. not sure if i have the smarts to pull that off, though.

The 1st vid was really helpful explaining how it works.
tC SC vid: CARNAGE!! I will definitely upgrade the bearings after seeing how that bracket got cracked.

TTC, I have a better understanding, thanks to you, how to go about figuring out the setup.
I'm thinking going centrifugal would be more ideal because it seems the most reliable and less noisy of the 3 types. I plan on having either a MagnaFlow or DC muffler and modified 4-2-1 headers do the talking, anyway. it also seems like a smaller, more compact system. wondering if there's a way to hook it up without that pulley beam. would make it less parasitic, i'd think... just a thought.

this whole thread showed me that there's alot of thinking to do before nailing down a choice. So I'll think some more, read some more, and get back with a decision.

HUGE thanks for the input, guys!

Last edited:
I've always wondered if this could work, guess the engine won't run fast enough to create boost unless you have it connected to a little gear box?

I'm gonna say no. The Mustang is RWD, meaning the front of the engine faces the front of the vehicle. The supercharger itself may work, but the mounts and possibly pulley definitely won't. A vortech supercharger can be bought separately of any kit and made to work with your application, from Vortech. Even if you get the Scion TRD kit, you need to have someone custom fabricate mounts for it for your specific application.
Vortech superchargers
The Supercharger used in the Scion tC TRD kit was a V5-F supercharger.

Sorry Tommy, I don't understand what the orientation of the engine has to do with the fitting of the Supercharger, can you explain what you mean?

The Mustang is RWD (engine mounted north-south), while the Hyundai is FWD (engine mounted west-east). The Mustang's kit will not bolt into the Hyundai due to the difference in orientation (among many other factors like the fact one was built in Korea from a completely different design while the other was built in America.) The only thing from the kit useful, as I said, would be the supercharger itself, and only if he got custom brackets (which he'd need to do anyways).

I guess I wasn't very clear. The other problem is again that the Mustang supercharger is MEANT for a bigger engine. The smallest engine you could get in a mustang for the last 20 years is the current 305 HP 3.7L V6, and the weakest version in that past 20 years was the 190 HP 3.8L V6 of the mid-90s. I discussed earlier why it's a bad idea to put a supercharger clearly meant for a much bigger engine on a small engine. This is why I suggested the Scion supercharger. It's appropriately sized, minimizing the parasitic effect inherent in the supercharger's design.

The Scion one I suggested because it's the most common appropriate-sized charger I can think of. Other cars I can suggest due to appropriate sizing: Chevy Cobalt, Chevy Cavalier, Saturn Ion, Honda Civic, Acura RSX, Acura Integra, Ford Focus, Nissan Sentra, VW Golf/Jetta|Beetle, And the Toyota Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. I know all have supercharger kits available for them which can be modified to work (with possible exception of the Nissan Sentra. Note that Cobalt, Ion, cavalier, focus, Corolla/Matrix/Vibe, Golf/Jetta|Beetle chargers should be noted to be of the roots type variety.). charger size is just as important with superchargers as it is for turbochargers, but for different reasons.

Last edited:
I know what you mean Tommy, and thanks Claymore for asking that question so others will know why the pony SC wouldn't work.

My decision is to look really hard for the scion SC, but if it's hard to come by because of cost or availability (want a used one), I'll go for the Eaton Cobalt/Redline SC.

lotsa other work to get done in the meantime. Will post results in my build thread.

THANKS, GUYS!!

After MANY Searches, I think I came upon something useful for you. I mentioned using a Tiburon supercharger kit at one point.
Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L Beta I4 Supercharger Kit

Read on many a Hyundai forum that that SC has been discontinued and only 3 are left on the continental US. Also, "An unexpected error occured. Please try again later." was what I got when I clicked on the link. Thanks anyways.

I'm gonna go with your previous suggestions of either the tC or RedLine SC. Will get to this project next year after my other mods for the exhaust, transmission, and fuel management.

Necesito su opinión, chicos:

Alpine Performance dejó de fabricar supercargadores para motores Hyundai / Kia 4cyl después de que la economía mundial se volcara en todos1, pero en su sitio leí que usaban el supercargador Eaton MP45 como plataforma. Este es el mismo Eaton usado en los Mini Coopers, ¿verdad? Así que mi primera pregunta es para los gurús de la fabricación: ¿es posible que una persona modifique el MP45 o el colector de admisión para que el Mini SC funcione en el Elantra?

También, mientras leía / YouTubing sobre el MP45, encontré la compañía Sprintex fuera de Australia. En SEMA en 2011, revelaron un nuevo SC que desarrollaron para el Mini. Tienen sistemas de sobrealimentación para el Tuscan, Accent y Jazz (conocido aquí como Honda Fit). Entonces mi segunda pregunta: ¿sería este un buen candidato? Necesito averiguar dónde comprar uno de estos, o incluso un Alpine SC usado.

3rd question: Have any of you guys, especially the KDM (Hyundai/Kia) crowd tried any supercharging, personally, or know anyone that has?
Yo tengo un elantra 2003

Translation: "I have a 2003 elantra"

Last edited by a moderator: