Stuck on a level crossing with a train approaching

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Lets look at some urban survival tips, here's the first scenario.

Your car stalls on a level crossing across the track, a train is approaching? What do you do?

(Get it wrong and you die or the train derails and causes injuries etc....)

No pressure.

Lets look at some urban survival tips, here's the first scenario.

Your car stalls on a level crossing across the track, a train is approaching? What do you do?

(Get it wrong and you die or the train derails and causes injuries etc....)

No pressure.

what would you do?

i would try and get the car moving until the last moment when i have no choice but to get away as fast as i can

i would defo get out of car as quick as possible if it didnt restart after couple of attempts, if there was someone behind me i would see if they would gently bump car off tracks and i would pay for any marks on their car, if not i would move as far away as possible and alert emergency services.

Get out and go for the emergency phone.

Generally this scenario only ever happens when someone runs a signal or the gates. There's very few level crossings around my stamping (should that be spinning?) ground.

If your car has just stalled and won't start and is a manual, put it in first and turn the key. As long as your battery is charged the car will lurch forward off the track.

If it is an auto, get out and RUN!

Why not just put your car into Neutral and take off the handbrake, and push it :)?

Or am I the only one that can get away with that cos I got a lil car :D?

Question is.........why are you on the level crossing in the first place in such a manner that you stalled it?

I'm thinking along the lines of a box junction, you do not move unless the exit is clear, therefore you are rolling and have enough momentum to continue. If you stalled it, then you must have been parked across the tracks in the first place!

I would not be in that scenario. I'll tell you why, this week I was caught up in an unknown busy town due to a diversion and came across a level crossing on a bend. The car infront moved across only to find itself inside the box as the exit was blocked. I waited until the exit was two car lengths clear and drove swiftly across :blink1:

Self preservation.

The torque on a starter motor is no where near that of any engine so you won't do any harm.

The key here is to get the car out of the way. If you only had a split second decision to make you would be dead unless you moved the car off on the starter motor. Plus if you did jump clear people on the train would be injured.

A car can stall anywhere and typically going up the ramp onto a level crossing can be enough to stall the car. Admittedly it is a daft situation to find yourself in but many people still manage it considering.

get out run then turn around and cry while the car gets smashed to bits

Last edited by a moderator: