strut brace. your thoughts

frizz16

Wrench Pro
Car
vw polo mk4 1.4 8v
i know a front upper strut brace makes a difference in handleing but do you think a rear upper strut brace would make any difference or would it just be a waste of money and adding pointless weight?

what are you thoughts?

its not supposed to be the best things to do with the brittish climate. something to do with how the rear tyres dig into the road.
by adding the rear strut brace there is less movement in the rear and the tyres cant dig in, with how much wet weather we get it means that the rear can become unstruck easier than normal ending up with you in a spin.

like i say this is just what ive read about them

and i thought it was a good thing, i suppose its why cars that come with front struts as standard, dont have back 1s

It does very much depend on the tyres in my experience. I have front and rear, upper and lower braces to stiffen the chassis as much as possible but would be a waste of time if I didn't have good tyres as it would be like what pgarner said and would make the back end lose control easier. But on the other hand if you have the right setup then it wouldn't be a waste of money in the slightest ;)

surley if your going to that extreme you would want to dial in negative camber, which isn't much good for tyre wear on a road car

Depends how much you've lowered it by and would also depend if you have a coil over suspension kit as they usually have the adjustment on the top as standed so you can set it up various different ways.

Depends how much you've lowered it by and would also depend if you have a coil over suspension kit as they usually have the adjustment on the top as standed so you can set it up various different ways.
As above realy.. on there own there not worth putting them on.. but you if you ass then to coilovers uprated anti roll bars they car make a differance..

Waste of time on a road car unless you intend to give it the beans on track. If mine was a pure trackday car I would go the whole hog, braces, coilovers, adjustable link arms etc, but this would make it hard work on the roads.

Road car fitments are purely for show and not that practical. If I was to fit one, I would probably remove it for everyday use and then fit it when needed.

If you want to improve the car control, if you haven't got it already, get a LSD or an ATB, coupled with quality tyres that combination is better if not as good as more power.