Stretched tyres

No ones slated the look far from it in fact.

Whats been "slated" is the principle - that is that as the tyre is the only bit of the car in contact with the road it makes sense to fit a tyre size that goes with the basic reccomendations of the tyre manufacturers as one would hope they know about these things.

Its not only the contact patch but the angle of the tyre wall

What isn't practical about them?

Well depending on the stretch. Im thinkin a regular driver could live with a smaller stretch, nothin to major, but when its overdone, or just a lil too much then thats when it gets dangerous. I just feel like they are prone to coming off the wheel sooner or later.

Not a fan of stretched tyres, I prefer to fit wider wheels and then make the arch fit around them....... Sometimes I go a bit over the top :blink:

You can actually see the wheel I was fitting to the left bottom corner of the pic.
xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-wheel-arch-mod-10056.jpg

This is the wheel a 335/35/17, they are a 13J

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-wheel-10057.jpg

Not a fan of stretched tyres, I prefer to fit wider wheels and then make the arch fit around them....... Sometimes I go a bit over the top :blink:

You can actually see the wheel I was fitting to the left bottom corner of the pic.
xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-wheel-arch-mod-10056.jpg

This is the wheel a 335/35/17, they are a 13J

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-wheel-10057.jpg

Any pictures of the rims on that car mate? They look sweeeeet!

x2 would be good to see a full project thread on this, a lot of work has gone into that.

Hmmm I did that car over 10 years ago, I do have a lot of pics still I might be able to rustle something up.

Like a lot of trends, this one is not based on an intelligent decision. The tire can easily unseat from the rim.

The sidewall can no longer flex as expected by the suspension designer. You loose both performance and comfort. You loose comfort because the sidewall cannot cushion the bumps.

This also puts the rim in jeopardy of touching the ground as you drive over normal bumps and pot-holes. When this happens, both the tire and rim are susceptible to road damage. Blow out at 50! (mph) Not a fun thing.

The rule of thumb is: The rim width should be the same as the tread width. Each tire manufacture does have an optimal rim size for each size of tire. This includes a window of acceptable sizes both wider and narrower. Most tire manufactures have this info posted on their web site. Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp has this for the tires they sell. If you want an education on tires, Tire Rack has one of the best tire edification sections I've run across.

If you're building a trailer queen show car and this is the look you want, that would be one thing. But if you're planning on driving this car, don't do it. You put your life at risk as well a mine. And I don't want to die cause of some idiot's boneheaded decision.

the one thing that gets me is the assumption that "modern materials and designs" are assumed to be up to the job when stretched. That seems like a massive massive amount of short sightedness to me, and an assumption based on a total lack of evidence.
New materials are certainly more robust than older ones, and modern tyre design is also better but this does not mean they will be suitable for a use they were not designed for, i can see a small stretch being ok but a huge one as a recipe for trouble, or putting the car into a wall

they look good for shows, and the drift cars use them on the back (you can buy manufactured stretched tyres here in new zealand) the manufactured ones have the stretch look, but with a proper fit and abit more of a sidewall. but if you just get a standard tyre and stretch it then you can run into the problems of them coming off as they arent exactly designed to sit that way and will naturally want to pop back into their normal shape.