Street racing

gendox

Track Warrior
Car
Pug 206 LX
Ok, before i had much experience in driving me and my freinds would go to a industrial estate at the early hours and race each other down a well lit straight road not normally exceding 70-80mph.

But, what im asking is do you hate any form of road racing, im not just talking about racing on the motorway for 5 seconds but maybe an arranged drag race i mean there is plenty of disused roads that we used to do it, never really a public road. What do you think do you do it or have any harrowing storys to tell.

just had a quick look on you tube and found loads of vids of people crashing and suff this oneis pretty stupid

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GOr2usv66j4&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask me arranged street racing is just down right dangerous. Disused road or not without proper organisation and proper planning it is a disaster waitin to happen.....

Whilst we all enjoy an opportunity to put our foot down, TorqueCars cannot in any way condone illegal street racing.

As for my thought on street racing, it would be great fun providing nobody would get injured in anyway and nothing would get damaged. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

I used to street race for money before most of the members on here were even born! It was pretty well organised. We had a selection of sites in order to keep the police guessing. They were all straight sections of dual carriageway with lamp columns used to determine the 1/4 mile. Sites were chosen that had a slow entry speed (junction or roundabout) at one end.

The challenge would be made (usually in the pub) and a time and place agreed. We would turn up and, when the road was clear, the two protagonists would line up side by side with people behind stopping any other cars from entering the road. The flag was then quickly dropped and the cars were off. Someone would be stationed at the lamp column chosen as the finish line in order to decide on the winner. Everyone would then scatter and meet back at the pub.

At the time it seemed harmless enough and, due to the relative low power levels we had compared to today and MUCH less traffic and being pretty well organised, it was not seen by the police as a VERY bad thing. Our excuse was that we knew what we were doing (Ha!) and there was nowhere else to test our cars.

There was only one proper drag strip (Santa Pod) within 3 hours drive and it only ran a couple of RWYBs a year. There were no regular track days, either, so we had very little choice, illegal and iresponsible as it was. These days, there is hardly a weekend that goes by without a track day or RWYB on offer.

Now, having survived and grown up, I realise that we knew SFA and it was dangerous and irresponsible (despite our precautions). However, I also realise that speed and racing were great fun then and still are and young men are still full of testosterone :)

I am very glad that I had the opportunity to drive when the roads were relatively empty, car tuning was in its infancy and cheap to do and life was so much simpler :) You young whippersnappers don't know what you missed :)

However, I am jealous of the opportunities available to test your cars safely and the amazing technology available if you can afford it. Fortunately, there is still a trace of testosterone left in the old shell :)

Drive safe and don't be a d*ck. Won't be much fun watching from your wheelchair whilst your girlfriend is being buried.

Last edited:
Street racing is both illegal and dangerous. A public road is any area that the public has access too. Safety cannot be guaranteed in a "street race".

In my opinion everyone posting videos of street racing on the internet should be cautioned for promoting/participating in illegal street racing.

Racing on the track can still be dangerous, even with run off areas, safety marshalls, roll cages, race suits and fire control systems. At least on the track the only one at risk is the driver and that risk is substantially reduced.

Street racing is both illegal and dangerous. A public road is any area that the public has access too. Safety cannot be guaranteed in a "street race".

In my opinion everyone posting videos of street racing on the internet should be cautioned for promoting/participating in illegal street racing.

Racing on the track can still be dangerous, even with run off areas, safety marshalls, roll cages, race suits and fire control systems. At least on the track the only one at risk is the driver and that risk is substantially reduced.

That was the point I was trying to make.Organised Street racing is just downright dangerous and those caught in my opinion should spend some time in prison.....

yea i mean we used to do it before we even had any experience, but i could walk to rockingham speed way from my house in 15 mins and there is a drag strip there so im sure thats what ill be using in future oh and i do completly dissagre with street racing there is as said too many places for it to be help safely or safer.

i really like the way you have access to tracks and drag strips. it's a way of having fun, and safety is important too, that's why it's cool what you do, not on public roads.
yea, that's the difference between cool and uncool racing. going on public roads is dumb, you put on risk so many people, while on professional track places you do, is cool cause it's safe, and i like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am against illegal street racing but in my area there is a road often used for this kind of activity. It is only usable at night 'cause over the day there's much traffic. The most dangerous thing about that road I think is the traffic and the fact that on one side there is a lake and a river on the other side. There was this girl who rolled her car over (not in a race) and it went to the river and sunk right to the bottom. The only thing that saved her was that the car stopped near the road and there were some people who saw it and jumped out and dragged her out of the car. If this had happened on more speed or on the other side of the road it's not certain that anyone would have been able to save her quick enough.

The main problem here in Iceland is that there is only one drag strip near Reykjavík and nothing else which is a problem for this country. You have to drive 5-6 hours to get there from my town

see that sucks if there is a demand for it build it, would make that strech of road safer and its better than a speed camera

Yeah but whats saying that people will go and pay to race their cars when they can do it for free??? Something will still need to be done to that road for safety. Just because it's quiet at night with cars what happens if pedestrians are walking down it an it all goes wrong for the drivers?

Yeah but whats saying that people will go and pay to race their cars when they can do it for free??? Something will still need to be done to that road for safety. Just because it's quiet at night with cars what happens if pedestrians are walking down it an it all goes wrong for the drivers?

yea, exactly, but there should be also abandoned streets, airports, etc,

yea, exactly, but there should be also abandoned streets, airports, etc,

But what for? All i'm getting at is that realistically Street Racing is dangerous and stupid because all forms of motorsports should have officials, marshals and First aid to hand as well. As well as a doctor present.

But what for? All i'm getting at is that realistically Street Racing is dangerous and stupid because all forms of motorsports should have officials, marshals and First aid to hand as well. As well as a doctor present.

well, then it gets more like, for rich people. street racing is like skateboarding, which is risky too, but they don't have doctors and stuff there. but that's what i say, keep eye on safety, don't do it on public roads. there's a racetrack in my country, in another town, some 50 minutes drive southern from my place, but unfortunately the military is keeping it right now. so there are people that do it on public roads. so dunno what to say man, everyone does it on his own.

well, then it gets more like, for rich people. street racing is like skateboarding, which is risky too, but they don't have doctors and stuff there. but that's what i say, keep eye on safety, don't do it on public roads. there's a racetrack in my country, in another town, some 50 minutes drive southern from my place, but unfortunately the military is keeping it right now. so there are people that do it on public roads. so dunno what to say man, everyone does it on his own.

How is street racing like skateboarding??? A skate board doesn't weigh over a ton does it. I know people do it they still do it round here. I'm just sayin that it shouldn't be done but thats my opinion.

i think the people who would choose to street race arnt true car finatics if there is somwhere like rwyb its like 30 quid aint it for 2 runs and the weekend there thats cheep also abandoned roads arejust the same if not more dangerous un mantanined could be kids camping walkers dog walkers anything but if you truly loved racing the track would be where its at for you if there is one thats what i think if you want to race you will but if there is somwhere safer to do it they would i.e. track

Well there are no pedestrians because it's not in the town but half a kilomiter outside of it. There is a track hopefully in the making in Akureyri which is half an hour from where I live if you drive

as i said, i mean like skateboarding because it's a non rule thing, and it's not dedicated only to someone, but everyone who has a car can get into that.
now the responibility is something else, they should take care of several things.
and racing tracks are the best choice for racing, but what would you do when there's no one?

heres street racing for ya

i was out last night and driving on the south mall (richest street in ireland)
its a 1 way rd with traffic lights

a scuby doo and a civic coupe both at the lights, they take off
up the rd theres another set of lights, even though they were green, some drunk people wandered out on to the rd, so the subara jammed on no problem, but the civic with not as good brakes, couldnt stop til he hit the back of the subaru

street racing is bollicks, and so will the quote the boys will get next renewal
and ye can give all the excuses about drunks on the rd and the lights been green, but at the end of the day, if they werent racing, it wouldnt have happened

and roll cages, tyre walls

none of these on a street, just pedestrians and other motorists

skateboard with someone on it = 20 mph
car with a lunitic behind the wheel = 120 mph

what would you prefer to hit you????

so dont give me this #!#!#!#! about their the same because their not
ive never heard of a skateboarder killing anyone, and i hate them
but everyday you here of accidents involving cars and pedestrians

skateboard with someone on it = 20 mph
car with a lunitic behind the wheel = 120 mph

what would you prefer to hit you????

so dont give me this #!#!#!#! about their the same because their not
ive never heard of a skateboarder killing anyone, and i hate them
but everyday you here of accidents involving cars and pedestrians

Here here :D:D:D:D

It's one thing to kill yourself because you were driving like an idiot, but it's a completely different story to kill somebody who is totally innocent. I'll admit to having a punt every now and again, but you are truly stupid if you decide to race on the streets.

It's one thing to kill yourself because you were driving like an idiot, but it's a completely different story to kill somebody who is totally innocent. I'll admit to having a punt every now and again, but you are truly stupid if you decide to race on the streets.
we all have a punt mate, and your spot on, it is dangerous

i find if you street race, your concentration is on winning, not driving with care, other cars and pedestrians

iv done it before and i hate it, i prefer a motorway, just you and the rd
nothing else

how are you anyway mate??

we all have a punt mate, and your spot on, it is dangerous

i find if you street race, your concentration is on winning, not driving with care, other cars and pedestrians

iv done it before and i hate it, i prefer a motorway, just you and the rd
nothing else

how are you anyway mate??

I'm good mate thanks... how about yourself?

well, they're both extreme sports, street racing and skateboarding. hehe.
well, why do you blame me that much? if there's no street racing, then what's the purpose of car tuning? by the way, street racing i understand by racing tuned cars, so dunno what you understand with street racing, but i'm against racing in public and risking other people, ok!

Tuning exists to make a car more fun to drive. This does not mean that you have to
1) race
2) Drive at illegal speeds

With some sensible mods you will increase your cars handling making it safer in the bends. You can also increase the power which makes overtaking much safer and gives you the option of accelerating out of trouble. Finally you improve the braking which also makes the car safer and gives you a wider margin of error should you make a mistake.

We all look to get the maximum we can from our cars and by using a track day or drag strip you can see what you and the car are capable of. It is Stupid to attempt to do this on an empty road purely because there is no guarantee the road will stay empty and secondly there are no safety marshalls, fire control, run off areas or crash barriers should things go well.

Summary,
Enjoy your car on the road but only explore the limits of your car on a track where it is safe to do so. This will actually make you a safer driver on the road.

Street racing is more like cockfighting, it's irresponsible and downright dangerous. It doesn't make you a better driver, it gives you the wrong reputation. Anyone can drive like a total numpty on the road, until you either crash and hurt someone other then your stupid self or get caught, not big and not clever. I'm no angel, but there is a time and place, and that is on a 1/4 mile strip or track where it is managed, marshalled and has emergency cover. When you are on a track with 20 or 30 other like minded souls it soon makes you realise how crap you really are!

It will never go away, it's part of life and people will only change when they either experience something negative or grow up. If you have an urge to race, take up banger racing or grasstrack, a great way to rid yourself of the red mist! Keep it away from general population, the street racing I have seen on the 'net looks like carmageddon to me!

I don't think that the occasional unofficial traffic lights grand Prix is a big problem but this, too, is still illegal.

The problem occurs when neither competitor will give in and things get contentious, speeds and blood pressure rises, risks are taken and someone gets hurt.

Tuning exists to make a car more fun to drive. This does not mean that you have to
1) race
2) Drive at illegal speeds

With some sensible mods you will increase your cars handling making it safer in the bends. You can also increase the power which makes overtaking much safer and gives you the option of accelerating out of trouble. Finally you improve the braking which also makes the car safer and gives you a wider margin of error should you make a mistake.

We all look to get the maximum we can from our cars and by using a track day or drag strip you can see what you and the car are capable of. It is Stupid to attempt to do this on an empty road purely because there is no guarantee the road will stay empty and secondly there are no safety marshalls, fire control, run off areas or crash barriers should things go well.

Summary,
Enjoy your car on the road but only explore the limits of your car on a track where it is safe to do so. This will actually make you a safer driver on the road.

ok man, i agree with this.
maybe it's a misunderstanding, because i'm saying all the time, i'm against risking people.

I think the closest I've come to street racing was when I was in my Mk1 Panda Super (999cc - 45bhp - 1 torques). I was going to see my chum in Kingston-upon-Hull, and I made it onto the main straight up to his house. Can't remember the name of the road. It was a 40MPH and every side road seemed to have traffic signals. A Renault Clio RT (1.4?) pulled up next to me with some boys in it.

When the lights changed I got away first, and then he merged behind me. At the second set of lights he pulled alongside again and we did this a few times. I think he was annoyed because I was going about 39.5MPH but he was never able to out accelerate me where he could have passed.

Eventually he undertook me using a bus lane and then pulled in front of me and turned right. It was at this point that I realised I had been silly. As I had been racing him, whilst I was sticking within the speed limit, I was encoraging him to drive erratically so I was part to blame for that.

Last edited:
there are no tracks open to public where i live. it's like they want us to street race and kill ourselves. the most i do is speed up from a traffic light with a friend maybe up to 70-80mph at most, if the road is suitable, but especially at nights people go crazy so it's not safe at all! sucks really :mad:

Last edited:
I think the closest I've come to street racing was when I was in my Mk1 Panda Super (999cc - 45bhp - 1 torques). I was going to see my chum in Kingston-upon-Hull, and I made it onto the main straight up to his house. Can't remember the name of the road. It was a 40MPH and every side road seemed to have traffic signals. A Renault Clio RT (1.4?) pulled up next to me with some boys in it.

When the lights changed I got away first, and then he merged behind me. At the second set of lights he pulled alongside again and we did this a few times. I think he was annoyed because I was going about 39.5MPH but he was never able to out accelerate me where he could have passed.

Eventually he undertook me using a bus lane and then pulled in front of me and turned right. It was at this point that I realised I had been silly. As I had been racing him, whilst I was sticking within the speed limit, I was encoraging him to drive erratically so I was part to blame for that.

this is a good post imo. shows wot goes on every part of the world, see dbl lane lights and its a drag race, in 90% of the case.
makes you think of actions and reactions and consequence.

I have to disagree with you Waynne,the marshalla are also at risk as I can prove,having been injured three times at race meetings.One causing permanent damage to me.Marshalls are insured for a minimum of £1million whilst at the circuit,which indicates the risk involved,just for folk to have some fun.

BTW,I cannot emphasise enough the importance of NOT using public roads for street racing!It is highly dangerous and stupid.

Be careful on the roads folks.

I have to disagree with you Waynne,the marshalla are also at risk as I can prove,having been injured three times at race meetings.One causing permanent damage to me.Marshalls are insured for a minimum of £1million whilst at the circuit,which indicates the risk involved,just for folk to have some fun.

BTW,I cannot emphasise enough the importance of NOT using public roads for street racing!It is highly dangerous and stupid.

I think we agree, I did put "Racing on the track can still be dangerous" and in no way meant to imply that track days are 100% safe, but they are still a lot safer than an unorganised street race will ever be.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I think the Marshalls generally do a great job and I know from time to time you have to deal with some large egos.

In street racing it is not the fastest car that will win but the person willing to take the most risks. I'm not prepared to risk my life or someone elses for an utterly pointless p1ssing contest.

How did you get injured?
I've only ever seen one marshall get injured and that was his own stupid fault for putting himself in the line off fire of vintage three wheelers.