Storing Fuel

philxj6

Torque Junkie
Car
2000 Jaguar XJR

What are the regulations for storing fuel.
Bloke down the road from me every weekend comes out of his house with a plastic container and pours a red liquid into the fuel tank.
he has a citreon diesel

Are you sure he's not using biodiesel? If so then he's in for big bills if it's an HDi and fitted with a DPF.

Or is it agricultural diesel? Which is naughty. Customs and Excise don't like this.

I think that storage on your own premises is entirely up to you. But you can't, for example, fill a 5 litre olive oil plastic container with petrol at a filling station.

I think as long as it's not stored in the house it's legal. But that sounds very much like red diesel to me. Which as Hdi points out is not legal for road use. Phone your local customs and excise they will come out and dip his tank to see if it is red diesel. They'd likely take the vehicle away and crush it if it turned out to be red diesel.

Last edited:
That might be going a bit far initially. After all, he is a neighbour of yours and you have to live in the same street.

C&E does make exception for bio-diesel so long as you don't use more than 2500 litres per year. I don't think red diesel qualifies as a road fuel, however.

I don't really know what red diesel is, but why isn't it legal? and why would he want it in his car if it's not?

It's doesn't attract road fuel duty is the reason it's illegal. I suppose if he's paying the duty to HMR&C then he'll be fine.

It's for agricultural and maritime use. It's also a lot cruder than road diesel and is likely to damage engines if used constantly.

Gets me thinking... build a moohasive tank on my parents land? Buy a crap load of fuel while its cheap - sell it for a profit later ;)?

Might be better building a small brewery and selling some decent beer then !

Think i'll stick with selling servers tbh - seems to work. I don't think i'm qualified to open a brewery - with my refined taste for Fosters :embarrest:

Blimey - Tennants Super - the old blue can stuff at 9% ABV.

I once sank EIGHT of those (500ml, not the 440ml ones!) at a sitting.

Not a good idea.

No i stick to the normal stuff (ice cold stuffs not that nice ether) think its only around 4.7 maybe 4.8. the Stars around 5.5 iirc. i like to try and remember what ive done the previous night.

asked for a pint of tennants for a laugh one night in oxford. didnt work as the guy was scottish and told me to go home if i wanted it as he couldnt get it down there

What are the regulations for storing fuel.
Bloke down the road from me every weekend comes out of his house with a plastic container and pours a red liquid into the fuel tank.
he has a citreon diesel

There are pretty strict regulations,

For fuel storage I believe (google it). It also needs to be checked for water contamination regularly due to condensation forming inside the containers.
======================================================

If someone has a source of tax-free diesel (which is what it sounds like, then good for them, why be a snitch. ;) Live your own life.

Last edited: