Stopping a drink driver - or not

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I think it is fair to say most of us will not drink a drop and drive.

But if you had a friend or colleague who'd been drinking and was planning to drive home would you intervene?

What would you do? Does ignoring a drink driver include us in their "crime as co-conspirators"?

Yes I definitely would intervene if a friend or colleague was driving, but not otherwise as, in my experience,a drunk does not listen to anyone , and is quite likely that he may cause you some harm if you interfered.

Even If One of my own family, got drunk and took the car out, I'd phone the Police straight away. I'd rather them get caught then take someone's life and having to live with it forever

Even If One of my own family, got drunk and took the car out, I'd phone the Police straight away. I'd rather them get caught then take someone's life and having to live with it forever

I did actually phone the police to inform them of a drunk driver. Gave them his name, make of car, colour, reg and everything.
All I got told was that if they came across it they'd pull it, but they made no efforts whatsoever to go looking for him. I know they never pulled him cause he carried on doing the same thing day after day for months.

Been in the situation, and also (embarassingly (sp?) been on the recieving end. Mate forcibly took my car keys off me, and I thank him for it now (he's a lot bigger than me I wasn't arguing!).

I did the same to another friend after she argued with her bf, tried to drive rat-arsed. Again, just took her keys off her and locked em in my car.

We have a rule at house parties etc that all keys go in a locked draw/cubard until the next morning.

I've taken the keys of people before many a time. I've been disqualified in the past for drink driving myself but it was a decade ago and i was young and stupid and egged on by a friend who wouldn't just sleep in the car. Anyway still remains my fault but i've learnt my lesson and would not allow anyone else to do it.