Stopping a car from 1000mph

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
This is an interesting read on the problems encountered whilst stopping a car doing 1000MPH in a relatively short distance!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17810324

Chutes, Air brakes and conventional wheel brakes coming on in stages. The forces exerted are pretty hard to imaging. The chute lines will need to handle at least 10 tonnes of force and are specced up for 20 tonnes! Brakes will melt at these high speeds and the whole braking mechanism needs to withstand the forces exerted by rotation at 1000mph!

This is a pretty interesting project and I hope they pull it off, they have some pretty big obstacles to overcome though.

This might be of interest to Old Git as I'm sure he'll be approaching insane speeds in his jet propelled wheeled feather!;)

I'm looking at less than a fifth of the proposed speed, so don't have quite the same issues, but thanks for thinking of me, Waynne :)

I think T9 is the one to worry about lately..............when he said a SAAB family engine I am now thinking perhaps a jet version!

I would be more worried about the effects this may have on the human body than the actual process of slowing down from such a speed in the shortest possible time/distance. It would need a pilot to carry out such a task as they are trained to deal with such demands.

Good point stamford.

He could possibly end up looking like flubber.

On a more serious note, it will have to be designed around a human, as the G's etc will have such a raw effect I don't think humans could with stand 20 tonnes of stopping power thrown right at the body. Unless your Chuck Norris... :lol:

Last edited: