Static or bagged set up?

projectbimmers

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ti m44
Ongoing issue for me. I change my mind every few months. Still havent pulled the trigger on a set up yet.

1996 BMW 318ti. Oddball oldschool hatchback. (e36 red headed step child)

Driving height needs to be lower is all I know. I dont plan to race or track the car at all. Its just my project car that I like to hook up. Bilsteins and HKS springs is usually "the way to go" with these cars. Im not ur average "the way to go" type of guy when it comes to my builds though. Air bags just seem so much more functional for my needs. I believe thats the route I will end up going. First time i would be installing bags.

Airride set up is the way Im gonna go. Accuair is dead from what Im hearing. The 318ti has the rear of an e30 so I have to get a specific set of bags for the set up and air management etc.

I have no idea how much this is gonna cost me but Im guessing about 2500usd or so? Thats the part that hurts lol....Then i start thinking of a static set up again...lol decisions decisions...

I'd go hydraulic rather than air bag personally as I find airbags soften the ride too much and compromise handling.

You have quite a few options over your side of the pond. Over here it is quite hard to get air suspension kits, and hydraulic are almost unheard of.

Is a static set up recommended? I dont really see myself needing to make many adjustments in rude height. Just as long as I dont scrape around too much I'd be fine at a set lowered height that's looks good for the car and handles well.20200821_191555.jpg

I would go with static or get some adjustable coilovers, these can be set lower for track days and raised for everyday driving. You'll get a better ride and they are a lot cheaper than the dynamic options.

Tein did some electronically adjustable ride hide kits back in the day, but again these are usually expensive and might not fit your car model.

Is a static set up recommended? I dont really see myself needing to make many adjustments in rude height. Just as long as I dont scrape around too much I'd be fine at a set lowered height that's looks good for the car and handles well.View attachment 8675
IMHO for street use a decent set of coil overs would suit your needs perfectly, they would give you the ability to set the ride height to the millimetre if that's your way, and would also provide you with some decent handling to boot, above all it'll save you all the extra work involved in fitting hydraulics or an air system. Talk to any HGV mechanic about air bag issues and the associated equipment. I was once stuck under a fire tender in a burning field trying to repair a burst air dryer pipe.... I can tell you, its no fun... Aside the drama, your car is already set up to accept most standard type systems, it'll save headaches and a shed load of cash and trouble.... You don't need your other half giving you greif because her side has lost pressure at Skegness and you have a long "hard" drive home.... Noooo way.... Do it once, do it right, and keep it tight.... You'll be better off on all counts...... Hope this helps.

I was just doing some research on adjustable coilovers. Have u heard of BC racing? Out here they are considered a great brand for the money. A set for this car from their BR series would run right under 1k usd shipped

I would have thought being in the states you could get a Bilstein set up or similar? They to are extremely good, matched to Eibach springs and sway bars, you'd have a winning combo. Just looked at BC Racing, look excellent to. But personally I have no experience of them. Perhaps others here may do. Keep us in the loop.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back